Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition snub nose

ChrisC

One of the local clubs down here hosts an annual snubby match that I have been on the fence of participating in. The rules are and 5 or 6 shot with a barrel shorter than 2.25.

I have never shot a match there but he says two speedloaders will get you through any stage.

What would you build/buy for this type of match?

It is a non sanctioned fun match

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The rules don't state that it has to be a factory configuration. But when I mentioned L frame before this years match the MD stated they didn't make a snub L frame.

I definitely prefer a 6 shot over a 5

But if you had to have a j frame which one would it be?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Why build/buy for the match?

I'd shoot the snubbie I had, with the idea if getting trigger time in competition pressure with it. If I didn't have a snubbie, the one I would buy would not be bought to push the rules of a once a year match. I'd buy something that filled the role that a snubbie was really good at filling. So it would be a light weight j-frame/Ruger, for me.

We run some Steel Challenge with our snubbies...a few times a year. The idea is to shoot the carry guns, not push the gear to win the match.

S& W did make a 686 with a 2 1/2 " barrel. I do not know if the gun is still produced in that configuration. A friend of mine bought a used one from an individual a couple of months ago. I will call him and find out what information he has on it.

I'd pondered the idea the Fivegun Championship for awhile now. 5-shot revolvers with <3.1" barrels only, .38spc or greater. Probably use an IDPA-like scoring system, two divisions:

CCW: 15oz. or less, <2.1" barrel, no moonclips, fixed rear sight only

Detective: 15.1oz. or greater, no restrictions on loading devices, sights, etc.

Edited by dcloudy777

S&W Model 15 with 2" barrel might be ideal solution within the rules as stated. Adjustable sights on a K-frame. Or even a M10 or M64 with fixed sights and 2" barrel. The ejector rod travel on barrels less than 3" is not as long as the .38 SPL brass, easy to get brass hung up in cylinder on ejection.

I don't believe the M19 or M66, or any L-frames had barrels from the factory less than 2-1/4", but I may be wrong.

As for J-frames, all you have are 5-shots in .38 Special or .357 Mag. There are 6-shot J-frames in variants of .32 caliber, if that's an option.

Edited by johnmac

If you want to get all old school the Colt Dick Special is a very nice 6-shot snubby. I don't know what the used market is for them now, but they used to be pretty reasonable. Used to shoot an occasional snubby match which had a 5 shot capacity limit and purchased a 3" S&W Lady Smith (j-frame gun ) just for that. I still liked the Detective Special better.

If 5 shots are not a disadvantage, get a 9mm SP101 or the S&W equivalent (I thought they made one??), the Ruger LCR has a great trigger out of the box, could use one and use short colt brass for easier reloading.

If you need 6 shots, use a short k/l frame, cut for moons and/or use short colt brass.

The 2-inch M15 or M10 S&W is probably the best advice you'll get if you're buying a gun just for this match, but you'll have to hunt for one. Being K-frames, you can get Comp III speedloaders for them...and a BIG edge!.... on reloads.

If the rules alllow, and if you reload, putting up 158 bullets in .38 Long Colt cases (Midway has them) will help with ejection/reloading.

Under the 2.25-inch barrel rules that the OP posted, a 2-inch M15 and Comp IIIs has got to be as good as it's going to get.

Chris,

I've shot the Heartland match several times, they have a snubbie division just like you describe. They are a blast! He allows 2.25" and shorter specifically to exclude the 2.5" K frames of which I have one. Still shoot it though, just in revo division. I've also shot my 442 a couple of times. They are fun matches once in awhile.

I shot my son-in-law's Ruger LCR after he got it and I like it several orders of magnitude better than my J Frame. They shoot fantastic and with an XS big dot it's actually pretty easy and fast to get good hits. Being lighter it's still more controllable for me and has a much better trigger than my 442. Ugly little bastage but man does it ever shoot! Problem is you are stuck with HKS speedloaders as far as I know, but as a pure shooter they are just great. If I were doing this I'd get a LCR and try to set it up for moons! Or just use strips and shoot for fun.

Why build/buy for the match?

I'd shoot the snubbie I had, with the idea if getting trigger time in competition pressure with it. If I didn't have a snubbie, the one I would buy would not be bought to push the rules of a once a year match. I'd buy something that filled the role that a snubbie was really good at filling. So it would be a light weight j-frame/Ruger, for me.

We run some Steel Challenge with our snubbies...a few times a year. The idea is to shoot the carry guns, not push the gear to win the match.

+1, sounds like a fun match, If you don't already have one I would buy a model 60. I see good deals on used ones that look like they have not been fired. There usually segregated away from the "tactical" guns in the Charley Brown Christmas tree section. Safariland makes some neat speed loaders for them and there are good holster and grip selections for J frames. You can smooth up the trigger and there are spring kits available. Smith and Wesson have made the mod 60 for ever, so there are a lot of them on the used market.

Edited by toothguy

Been to a couple snubby matches. Guys with 2.5" adjustable sight K frames were on top.

Guys like me with a hammerless, airweight J frame, not so much.

But then, I carry my J frame everyday in my pocket.

Chris,

I've shot the Heartland match several times, they have a snubbie division just like you describe. They are a blast! He allows 2.25" and shorter specifically to exclude the 2.5" K frames of which I have one. Still shoot it though, just in revo division. I've also shot my 442 a couple of times. They are fun matches once in awhile.

I shot my son-in-law's Ruger LCR after he got it and I like it several orders of magnitude better than my J Frame. They shoot fantastic and with an XS big dot it's actually pretty easy and fast to get good hits. Being lighter it's still more controllable for me and has a much better trigger than my 442. Ugly little bastage but man does it ever shoot! Problem is you are stuck with HKS speedloaders as far as I know, but as a pure shooter they are just great. If I were doing this I'd get a LCR and try to set it up for moons! Or just use strips and shoot for fun.

does he exclude moon clips? and how are the stages set up..

as far as a factory j frame... this is a match...not practice... while i agree in spirit.. i bob my hammers and lighten my triggers for a reason...

Edited by ChrisC

http://www.smith-wes...78046_01_lg.jpg

If money isn't an issue and the barrel is to long on the K&L frames I would get the Mod 632. 327 gives you 6 rounds like the old colt and Hearthco makes moons for it. But you could run a Mod 60 with speed loaders for half the cost.

Edited by toothguy

It's basically USPSA rules with "TIME PLUS" scoring. He also does what he calls DRT scoring for the 5 shot snubs, so theoretically a snub can be competitive with the other divisions. It's usually pretty 6 round neutral but with his scoring it works pretty well for the 5 shot guns. Don't recall any moon clip exclusions, I know LonnieD and MikeC have shot moon clipped snubs before.

Stages aren't bad at all considering how space limited he is there, he does a pretty good job with it. Tarps for walls with cutouts for ports, dark stages with flashlight, etc. Round count is around 100 usually.

Edited by Shadowrider

We did a snubby steel match last year, and I set up a 2" Model 10. We were limited to 5 shots, but a good K-frame action is much nicer than anything you can get out of a J-frame. We had a variety of stuff show up, including a few guns that were definitely over the stated barrel length limit--but we were just messing around for fun, so we let them shoot anyway.

This thread gives me fond memories of the old "New York Reload" steel matches we used to shoot years ago back east.....those matches required you to run your main gun dry, then dump it on a carpeted table and grab your back-up piece to finish the run. Mas Ayoob dominated those matches pretty handily early on, until finally one of the young wheelgunners got good enough to beat him most of the time.....

Edited by Carmoney

Just for grins I shot a idpa "ish" match with a 642 the other day and it was bad......reloads were the main issue the short ejector stroke bit me on the first stage and so I smacked it harder on the rest of stages (wiping off blood between stages) it was not a pretty sight. the safariland speedloaders worked pretty good if i kept the chambers clean though.

I'm with Flex on this!

I'd shoot my Colt Agent (Detective Special with Alloy Frame and shorter butt). Why? Because it's what I carry every day. It's my primary carry gun at work and backup when off work. Since we're talking once a year, might as well get a little more practice in with.

That said, if it was something I was going to do monthly I'd probably use a K-frame as mentioned above.

I saw a .500 S&W 'snubby' shot in a IDPA BUG stage with full-power 440 grain loads. It was impressive! It was photographed, although I don't have the pic. But, the muzzle flame... monster ball... was about three by two feet. The first target was three yards away and it was blown completely off the target stakes and wound up about about six yards down range.

I don't remember his score, but I do remember the squad opining that... with the .500 S&W... ANY hit on the target should be a Down 0 :cheers:

I saw a .500 S&W 'snubby' shot in a IDPA BUG stage with full-power 440 grain loads. It was impressive! It was photographed, although I don't have the pic. But, the muzzle flame... monster ball... was about three by two feet. The first target was three yards away and it was blown completely off the target stakes and wound up about about six yards down range.

I don't remember his score, but I do remember the squad opining that... with the .500 S&W... ANY hit on the target should be a Down 0 :cheers:

alaskan454-0441.jpg

I would really love to have one of these. Stronger frame than the smith and the 454 is more versatile.

Edited by toothguy