Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to start with my 9 year old princess?

jonb.

This is a topic near and dear to my heart and one I am currently struggling with. My little jewel turns 10 at the end of this month, and has been shooting her little Anschutz Woodchucker .22 bolt action for almost three years at the “Youth Shoots” sponsored by a local club. She did very well for a while and really enjoys going but has hit a severe slump for over a year now. She is at a point where she must shoot unsupported (no bag, sling only) and score a minimum of 40 points out of 50 for her targets to count. It is pretty tough given her muscle mass and she just can’t do it. She still wants to go, but is not taking the actual shooting part seriously and complains a lot about stuff like a rock is under my mat, the sun is in my eyes, I can’t see the target, etc., etc.

The same sort of thing happened with her and gymnastics so I think it is a “phase” thing. She requested to quit gymnastics, and I made the tough decision to at least temporarily halt attending the Youth Shoots. Instead she and I will shoot informally at the range, and she will continue to accompany me to NRA Action Pistol matches. She likes going with Daddy to his matches, and actually runs the Mover and resets & paints the plate rack and keeps score on the plate stage. The other shooters (mostly a bunch of old Grandpas) all love her and comment on what a great kid she is (and by extension what a fine father I must be to have such a great kid). I have let her shoot one of my Ruger MKIIs on occasion which she likes, as well as any of my .22 revolvers single action only as she cannot pull any of them DA.

All this ramble to say, watch the kid, be with them and introduce them to a variety of things at the right time for them. Don’t force it and admit to yourself if you maybe start them to soon on something or they start to get burnt out. Recognize when they need a little break or need to try something different. And all the time work with them on safety and respect for the sport, other competitors/participants, and the equipment. Keep it fun and recognize they are not you, this last part can be tough.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 years later...

I wouldn't let a child start shooting uspsa unless they could do all involved with the whole day on their own. 

Can they load their mags without you? Could they go through a stage without you nearby? Or without you coaching? Can they clear malfunctions w out you? Could they go to a safe area without your supervision? If the answer to all of them is yes, then start them. 

If not I'd just continue to fun shoot until they could.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:28 PM, rowdyb said:

I wouldn't let a child start shooting uspsa unless they could do all involved with the whole day on their own. 

Can they load their mags without you? Could they go through a stage without you nearby? Or without you coaching? Can they clear malfunctions w out you? Could they go to a safe area without your supervision? If the answer to all of them is yes, then start them. 

If not I'd just continue to fun shoot until they could.

I agree with this. This is why I am working with my son to get ready for Steel Challenge first. The lack of movement in stages, no moving mag changes, and overall more simple operations make this seem like a good place for him to build his skills. 

• 4 weeks later...

USPSA is a stretch for a child that age as stated above. However, Steel Challenge with a 22 would be a good place to start. You likely have already planned for this, but ears and eyes are a must and if you harp on them now, they will double plug and have eyes on the rest of their lives! Good luck!