Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to start with my 9 year old princess?

jonb.

Started my little girl (and very little at that- she's tiny) at 10 in single stack minor with a 9mm 1911. Not that I'm not biased, but she's safer and runs that gun cleaner than tons of experienced shooters I've RO'd. Biggest bit of advice I can offer regardless of where you end up on the firearm/division decision: Spend a lot of time with snap caps at home loading/unloading, clearing malfunctions, drawing, presenting, and dry firing before you get to a live range. Once that timer goes off, the single best advantage you can give her is the clarity to focus on shooting safely, instead of having to think about how to run the gun. Makes an absolutely monstrous difference in how much they enjoy the match I think.

-424D57

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My little girl turns 9 Dec 17. She is a little one so we have been playing around with air-soft. I think with my little one it wil be a couple of years yet, before we go to rimfire. But she like to shoot so we will progress as long as she is having fun. I think that's the easy part. Good luck all!

My son just turned 12 last month and he is B class in Production.

At 9 shot Cowboy with a six guns etc for fundamentals

Also at 9 started him in USPSA with a five shot revolver in 38 and light loads and speed loaders.

I also shot the same setup so he wouldn't feel like he was the slow odd ball.

Shooting double action while moving I was less worried and could work on his movements etc.

When he was 6 or so I tought him range and gun handling safety with a paintball gun.

then at 7 or so moved on to a 22 rifle etc.

I'm no GM but I wouldn't start them on an open gun or a dot.

Just one guys (dads) $0.02 :)

Edited by Sherwood

I have twin 8 year old grandsons that I am introducing to shooting. Right now they shoot rimfire rifles off of sandbags. Occasionally, they get to play with the airsoft pistols. I'd say it will be a couple of more years before they move up to handguns.

The age to start ipsc is, I think, dependent on the kid's level of maturity and self disipline. My son shot his first Nationals, production division, when he was 9 and didn't come in last. I had several shooters suggest I change him to limited division so he could concentrate on shooting not reloads and he took off from there.

My 8 year old completed his first complete match last Saturday. We shot all 8 stages of Steel Challenge and he was not last. He beat Grandpa and Mom. The 11 year old...he beat me. He actually shot 72% of EricM,! The people who saw them shoot were very impressed with the gun handling skills and attention to safety. That came from several range trips and shooting the M&P BB gun in the backyard.

Edited by MarkCO

I am with MarkCO on the starting them in Steel Challenge. The young kids I see that start on steel with and open gun (.22 or minor) are the ones that have fun and want to come back. It is an easier enviroment for them to get started in. They also seem to like to go out and paint steel.

I have also watched kids get punished by shooting full power 45 or 40 out of a compact/light gun because that is what their dad thought they could handle. Those kids are also excited, but after the second run of their first stage you can see they they just want it to be over. The next time they show up dad got them a .22. But it is too little, too late. The damage is done.

Steel challenge is the best and easiest to get started. The advantage of either a 22 open gun or say a glock open gun shooting minor for USPSA(VERY soft to shoot) is it takes one part of the shooting equation out. It is easier to shoot a gun with a dot than it is an iron sight gun. It allows more focus on the trigger pull etc when your not worried about keeping the sights aligned. The big thing is they go out and have fun and getting frusterated isnt the way to go. I worked with kids when I was in college at a YMCA summer camp running their shooting thing and brought some guns with red dots on them and shot some pretty big reactive targets for people starting out as it allowed easier success. As they progressed moved to more of the iron sights and worked on shooting the regular paper targets and going for score etc. Was still a blast though to bring back the red dot guns and have duleing tree races with the advanced group.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Piru Range has some good rim fire matches that are great for kids and is near you. We shoot at the Hogue Action Pistol Range in San luis Obispo and my kids started out shooting the Ruger Rimfire matches around 9 years old. That is a great place to start learning fundamentals without having to worry about running to different targets and reloading on the clock. At our local range, they let Jrs. shoot Rimfire in USPSA, IDPA, AND ICORE. I don't think most ranges will have a problem with a jr. using a Rimfire in any match as long as they are safe. We all want to see the future of the sport continue and it can only continue if our kids keep it going.

I started my kids on iron sights - but a lot of my decision was based on finances. :D My M&P is a lot cheaper than STI. If they learn to shoot iron sights, they will really appreciate shooting with a dot if you choose to go that route. However, if they shoot with a dot first, it will be hard for them to ever want to shoot iron sights. :)

Pm me if you want to come up to the central coast some weekend to our range and have your daughter shoot with my kids. I have a 10 year old boy and 12 year old girl. They have the big central coast Rimfire championship match here and Jrs. shoot for free. The prize table is random draw, so it can be really encouraging to these shooters just starting out to be able to win prizes. Check out slosa.org for more info.

I would buy and shoot the same platform as my child. If you can (afford)Open for 2, do it. Having said that, I would limit my expenses and go Production. Glocks lend themselves well to exterior finishes, as do the M&P's. You can easily do any color you want with aftermarket paints.

I made the mistake of not shooting when my daughters asked years ago. Huge mistake I wish I could take back. Let her decide and always have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Scholastic air riflery is big here. Great fundamentals taught; front sight focus, trigger control, follow through etc...but the most boring sport in the world for spectating.

Very economical and can be practiced just about anywhere.

Edited by kamikaze1a

She should continue to enjoy learning the fundamentals with her rimfires for a couple more years. Sorry, but 9 years old is too young to be shooting USPSA matches.

Tell that to Max Michel and Eric Grauffel. They both started at 7. Max was winning local matches at 10 - 11.

It all depends upon the kid. Mine has been shooting for 3 years, handguns for 1. He is shooting local matches with me with a 22 with a dot. He is beating a few shooters here and there as well. If the kid wants to, and can be safe, let them shoot. (Assuming it is ok with your club members).

To say that 9 is too young is to throw way too big of a blanket statement at such a subjective subject. It's not about age. There are 60 year olds in our club who shouldn't be shooting.

Mine has been shooting for 3 years, handguns for 1. He is shooting local matches with me with a 22 with a dot. He is beating a few shooters here and there as well. If the kid wants to, and can be safe, let them shoot.

So he is not shooting USPSA. USPSA can only be shot with minimum caliber of 9mm. He might be practicing on the same course, but USPSA is not a .22RF sport and most don't want it to be. My kids started shooting at 6 and 7 and do great, but still with rimfire in rimfire matches. The 11 year old will be trying some USPSA later this year if the range sessions go well and he is capable.

Just because I have driven a racecar around Daytona does not make me a Cup driver.

She should continue to enjoy learning the fundamentals with her rimfires for a couple more years. Sorry, but 9 years old is too young to be shooting USPSA matches.

Tell that to Max Michel and Eric Grauffel. They both started at 7. Max was winning local matches at 10 - 11.

It all depends upon the kid. Mine has been shooting for 3 years, handguns for 1. He is shooting local matches with me with a 22 with a dot. He is beating a few shooters here and there as well. If the kid wants to, and can be safe, let them shoot. (Assuming it is ok with your club members).

To say that 9 is too young is to throw way too big of a blanket statement at such a subjective subject. It's not about age. There are 60 year olds in our club who shouldn't be shooting.

It's not about shooting skill, it's about judgment. While I would agree that every kid develops differently (and some never do, like those 60 year olds at your club), 9 year olds simply aren't ready to handle handguns out of the immediate reach of a supervising adult. I believe it is irresponsible and negligent to allow a child that young to shoot USPSA/IPSC, and I believe I have the experience in both shooting and parenting to make such a statement.

The problem is that parents' judgment can be clouded by their eagerness to have their kids involved in their favorite activity. Understandable. And unfortunately, other shooters won't always speak up.

The consequences of being wrong are too severe.

It's not about shooting skill, it's about judgment. While I would agree that every kid develops differently (and some never do, like those 60 year olds at your club), 9 year olds simply aren't ready to handle handguns out of the immediate reach of a supervising adult. I believe it is irresponsible and negligent to allow a child that young to shoot USPSA/IPSC, and I believe I have the experience in both shooting and parenting to make such a statement.

The problem is that parents' judgment can be clouded by their eagerness to have their kids involved in their favorite activity. Understandable. And unfortunately, other shooters won't always speak up.

Mine has been shooting for 3 years, handguns for 1. He is shooting local matches with me with a 22 with a dot. He is beating a few shooters here and there as well. If the kid wants to, and can be safe, let them shoot.

So he is not shooting USPSA. USPSA can only be shot with minimum caliber of 9mm. He might be practicing on the same course, but USPSA is not a .22RF sport and most don't want it to be. My kids started shooting at 6 and 7 and do great, but still with rimfire in rimfire matches. The 11 year old will be trying some USPSA later this year if the range sessions go well and he is capable.

Just because I have driven a racecar around Daytona does not make me a Cup driver.

Mark- you and I are in the same boat. Our local club has always been reluctant to go official with USPSA. We follow (most of) their rules in our matches though. So yes, Mark, officially, he isn't shooting USPSA, but it is only not USPSA due to the fact that it is a 22 and that we haven't signed the paperwork with USPSA. I realize this ain't hand grenades but its close enough for the purpose of answering the question posed by the OP.

Mike, I like you, you have done work for me, and I consider you to be one of the best in the revolver tuning game. This isn't personal. I have no idea how you think that YOUR shooting experiences and YOUR parenting experiences have any relevance in the conversation about what MY son is able to do. I'm sorry, but you have no frame of reference there. If it makes you feel any better, he is never out of arms reach of me during the time that he has the gun in his hand. I walk through the stages with him.

I'm not trying to say that he is some kind of phenom and is a master class shooter. I AM saying that he is safe, accurate as hell, and that my club has absolutely zero issues with him shooting in our matches.

I realize that this wouldn't fly at most clubs, but we have an average of 12-18 shooters at our matches and it works there.

Ill still disagree with you. My daughter @8 could shoot the crap out of my 34. I bought her gear and ran her through some technical tests to see if we kept her head. She didn't want the responsibility of shooting in a match and said no thanks after trying things out dry.

She's 12 now and well go to the range just to plink and I'm extremely confident in her decision making with the guns. Do I let her do whatever, without watching, no. But a child that's self aware enough to question the ability to remain safe in a match, well, there are a good many adults that need dqs to do that and even then it doesn't sink in.

I think the age depends, and I've seen kids with the maturity required to compete with adequate supervision, therefore I reject your blanket statement that 9 is too young

Nothing personal, guys. It's certainly possible that I may be wrong about the judgment and capability of your individual children. But in general, I don't like to see kids that young shooting in a discipline that involves drawing from a holster and complex shooting on the move. With an 8- or 9-year-old, you just never quite know what is going to happen when there is a split-second lapse of attention.

Somewhere around 11 or 12, and only after they have been thoroughly trained in gun-handling and safety, some kids reach a point where they are capable of handling a centerfire handgun and emotionally predictable enough to be shooting in USPSA/IPSC competition. (And plenty of kids are not ready even then.)

As a civil defense attorney, I live and work in a world where liability, negligence, and risk management must always be considered. If not, we deal with the consequences after the fact. And it sometimes gets pretty ugly.

Mike, I don't disagree with you in your view as a lawyer. It's why I posted. I'm disagreeing as a father of a pretty cool kid. One that actually realizes that it's upon ME to ensure the can not hurt others as they may or may not have the awareness to keep from doing it.

You're view as a lawyer is to remove risk. I get it - but I'm just not far enough along to ban 9 year olds to remove the risk at the hinderance of those advanced kids that can handle it.

I'm for handling age limits at the BOD, but I'm sure it's been discussed and there's good stuff on that. There's a middle ground in this space that I'm going to have to negotiate with me 7 year old in a few years.

ETA: FYI, I'm not a "it came from a lawyer, so it must be 'right' camp." It may be the best way to reduce risk... there are other answers that may come from it - not a shot at you, Mike... it's just how I approach dealing with a legalistic look at life.

Edited by aztecdriver

My daughter wanted to start USPSA a while ago but she she is still incapable of racking the slide on her G17. When she can, then we will begin looking into the games. Now she shoots a dot on her 10/22 and irons on her 22/45. She is good with shooting on the move with her 10/22, and we do enough setting up stages that she is getting the idea rather quickly about range commands and the 180. She just turned 13, and I am eager as she is to get her into production. When she can physically handle the gun as well as I or nearly so, then we will go from there.

Anyone happen to catch Shooting Gallery last night. My kids were on there, and we had 2 8 year olds in the class. The 11 year old shot a great match the next day, and he beat me last month...His 9Pro is waiting a few more months.

Edited by MarkCO

I'm disagreeing as a father of a pretty cool kid.

Many parents have a hard time being objective about the capabilities and safety of their own kid. It's perfectly natural and normal. I remember how fun it was to introduce my own two kids (who are adults now) to the world of competitive shooting! Looking back, I hope it never made any of my shooting friends uncomfortable, but I really have no way of knowing because I was caught up in the whole thing and was not capable of being objective in that situation either.

Steel Challenge style shooting is an excellent choice for the younger children who already have the basics down. Let USPSA (or similar) matches be a special prize for the kid to look forward to when he or she turns 11 or 12, assuming the kid is ready at that point.

• 3 months later...

Folks: Mike and I have had these conversations with regards to my own son. At the age of nine, he was shooting Steel matches with his Buckmark .22. In the last few years, Iowa changed its law in such that my son cannot shoot a pistol until 14. Reflecting on that, it was good in a way because it gives my son more time to mature as well as get a more formalized course (hunter's safety) out of the way. We all have that paternal pride, we want to spend time with them in sports that we all enjoy.

On the serious side, Mike is right, a simple distraction or lack in judgement/experience by the child can have very serious consequences. If the hand strength is not there, would they force a bad postion to work out of a jam? I don't think anyone here would say that their kid is that good and they would never have an AD or ND.