Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Hogdon Powder for 9mm and 40S&W Moly/BBI?

Pensfan

Thanks for helping out everyone!

I am currently loading 9mm with 147gr BBI moly bullets and WST powder. Very soon I am going to start loading 40S&W with 180gr BBI moly as well. I have a line on a great deal for 8lbs of Hogdon powders and want to take advantage of it for loading both calibers.

What is the best choice? Universal Clays? International Clays? Something else for moly?

If you are dealing strictly with Hodgdon labeled powders then HP38 would be my choice, Longshot will also work for both calibers, but it doesn't like "puff" minimum PF loads... you have to get above the minimum or you get sooty cases. Hodgdon also makes (and sells) Winchester Super Field (WSF) and I think that is the best 147/9mm powder available, and it will also work for 180/40.

My vote goes for HP38. Used it with .40 180 grain moly bullets and it worked great. Also good with 9mm. Not a Titegroup fan; tried it with moly stuff and didn't like the smoke screen it would create with the BBIs. It runs hot and dirty (just how I like my women haha). Universal will work in .40 but recoils rather hard for my tastes. It is clean burning though.

I am checking to see if I can get WST with this buy-in deal. If so, then that is ideal. If not, I am trying to find a powder I can use for both 9 and 40 just to keep life simple. :)

I have used Titegroup in the past and love it for jacketed bullets, but I agree with people above, with moly it smokes terribly in my experience.

Thanks for the tips everyone, any others?

If you can get WSF in the deal it will work quite well in both with lead or coated bullets. If you were going with plated or jacketed I would use Titegroup. I get good results and accuracy with both powders when matched with the right bullet.

Hey GForce, I am staying with factory length since I am loading for both my Tanfoglio as well as a couple stock Sigs. I don't want to make changes to the OAL's between every session, so just going with 1.125-1.13 OAL.

WST for minor WSF for major, the least amount of smoke I have been able to work up with Precision or Bayou in .40 and both feel nice.

WST for minor WSF for major, the least amount of smoke I have been able to work up with Precision or Bayou in .40 and both feel nice.

+2