Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

world war Z

GmanCdp

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
The trailer is awesome! I read the book, but understand the movie doesn't really follow it.

That is a massive understatement.

This is a book that is very unlike a "normal" book - it is a history told by the survivors. It is really quite brilliant, but it was going to be hard to make into a movie.

J. Michael Straczynski was hired to do a screenplay and that's the movie that should have been made. You can find copies of it on the internet and he did an incredible job of turning the book into a workable script. But Brad Pitt (who had a piece of the movie) and some of the money people wanted an action movie. Why? Who knows, there are enough of them already, why not make a compelling movie instead. Something that looks like something that could actually happen. Something that asks the really hard questions about how far people would be willing to go to protect themselves and their family.

Instead, we get just another mindless action movie. I will not be going and if you read and liked the book, you should consider not going.

I do not think the movie will capture the nuances of the book. An action flick will not pick up the details of "what would you do" if faced with the zombie apocalypse like the book does - (of course, the movie is about making money not challenging people to think).

• 3 weeks later...
The trailer is awesome! I read the book, but understand the movie doesn't really follow it.

That is a massive understatement.

This is a book that is very unlike a "normal" book - it is a history told by the survivors. It is really quite brilliant, but it was going to be hard to make into a movie.

J. Michael Straczynski was hired to do a screenplay and that's the movie that should have been made. You can find copies of it on the internet and he did an incredible job of turning the book into a workable script. But Brad Pitt (who had a piece of the movie) and some of the money people wanted an action movie. Why? Who knows, there are enough of them already, why not make a compelling movie instead. Something that looks like something that could actually happen. Something that asks the really hard questions about how far people would be willing to go to protect themselves and their family.

Instead, we get just another mindless action movie. I will not be going and if you read and liked the book, you should consider not going.

+1

Well said, sir.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Book was good. Like a history book sort of. I'll see the movie, but as a stand alone piece of media. Take it as what it is, which is a zombie movie with a twist. Should be cool to see what a herd of motivated zombies can do.

I just hope it's not over-Hollywooded

Are you kidding me? That's all it is. A 100% over the top Hollywood action movie. You could substitute any nasty critter you want for the zombies and you'd have exactly the same movie.

But what if they had ...like...zombie LIONS? :)

That's going to be in "Return of World War Z", which starts at the San Diego Zoo. The really nasty critters are the Zombie Hamsters because the are so small and fast that they can run right up your leg and bite you on the &^%^$#.

Edited by Graham Smith

I just read something that shows just how wrong things can and often do go in Hollywood. When Joe Straczynski was taken off the project, he predicted that this movie was going to turn into Rambo vs The Zombies. Apparently that's exactly what happened.

According to an article in Vanity Fair, the reason the release slipped from Dec 2012 to this summer is because, after running completely over budget, the director and producer realized that a whole bunch of the film just didn't work. That includes a huge 12 minute long ending battle that was fraught with endless problems.

After editing, the film was down to 72 min, and they had to call in another script doctor to fix the script. One of the things he did was to go back to the original drafts from Straczynski and pull in some of the story and drama that had been cut out. Here's a quote from Straczynski on this:

Showbiz is a funny world. After writing ten drafts of World War Z, another writer was brought on and threw out everything I'd written. Except for the names of the characters, you couldn't find anything I'd written with a hunting dog and a Ouija board. So per the WGA arbitration I had no credit on the film. That's life.

Except...the movie didn't work as filmed, so now they needed to do reshoots, add new pages, rethink the movie. Big article in Vanity Fair about it. Figured it had nothing to do with me, since as noted nothing of mine was at stake.

Except...the new, revised script comes in after all the reshoots, and I'm about to just toss it aside because, again, I figured it had nothing to do with me, when I opened it up...and was pleasantly surprised to discover that suddenly there was a lot of stuff in there that I recognized from my previous drafts.

Since new material was added, and other writers were brought into the equation, including Damon Lindeloff, who is a very nice guy, by the way, a new arbitration was initiated...and guess who now has a credit on the film? Granted it's shared screen story, but y'know, I'm absolutely happy with that. It's a heck of a lot better than nothing and it actually fairly represents what I contributed to the overall story of the adaptation.

It's still not a movie I care anything about and I'm quite sure that no one in Hollywood is going to learn anything from this, but at least there is a tiny bit of Karma and Justice at work.

Zombie Apocolypse 2012 had a zombie lion... it killed Vingh Rhames. Not that I would watch something like that or anything... but I heard...

I think they were supposed to be Tigers?

Also, that's what I heard as well