Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best .45 compact

jdk70

I am looking to buy a concealed carry sidearm and would like to get your opinion as to which is the best to get. I have pretty much settled on .45 Cal yet I am torn on which to get. I love all the Sig's that I have had in the past yet I hear nothing but great reviews on the Glock's these days. I am open still as to which to buy. I have been doing most comparisons between the Sig P220 vs Glock G30SF, feedback?

Been shooting a Colt Gold Cup for 20+ years. Love it.

Been shooting a Springfield XDS since August 2012. Love it even more.

1911 is a girly man's gun. An XDS is a real man's gun :)

Have used my XDS for two matches. Harder than 1911, but lots of fun. XDS is my every day carry gun.

I'm a fan!

I carried a Glock-36 for several years. When I purchased it that was the only real compact carry 45ACP available. Today you also have the Kahr and SA XD pistols to evaluate. My G-36 was totally reliable and readilly controlable. I finally opted for pocket carry of a Kahr PM-9 since I could not reliably conceal the G-36 under all situations. I still have the G-36 by my bedside or in the car..

I shot a friend's XD-S 45 recently, and have to say it was sweet...but the Glock 30 gives you twice as many rounds and compatibility with even larger (G21) mags. It's a much thicker package though. I've got the 30SF, but have never carried it concealed.

I have heard nothing but excellent reviews about the XDS however I am not able to get it due the the f'd up Democratic laws here in California. I ended up getting the GLOCK 30sf but modified it by swapping out the plastic rod for the tungsten upgraded the springs, changed the trigger to the fulcrum 2.5 lb pull and added the truglo tritium night-sights to it. Hopefully I do not get buyers remorse when I go to pick it up after the 10 day waiting period (another Diane Feinstein bs law) Thank you everyone for your feedback. In the end the larger 10 round mag in a sub-compact is what one out.

What is your price range? Do you want a full size or compact? I would tell you to go to a shop and hold everything in .45, when you find a QUALITY firearm that fits your hand the best, buy it.

The compact M&Ps fit the hand nice. I carried a 1911 for 2 years or so, very comfortable do to the width of the gun, but heavy to carry everyday for extended amount of time. HK makes a good gun, USP 45 compact and HK45 compact, both are good sized carry guns. Sig 220s shoot real nice, have a good da/sa trigger. I dont like Glocks due to the grip angle. But this is all my opinion.

Capacity in all of these is about the same, 8 or 10 rds for most .45s is the norm.

They all have pros and cons, the decision comes down to what you like and want.

George

• 4 weeks later...

There's not much of a difference between a full size than an officer frame. With a good holster and belt, a full size will disappear.

+1 A full size 1911 in a galco summer comfort holster is an awesome combo!! I carry it daily and never have a problem with printing under a t-shirt.

Because I live where I live, CC is highly unlikely unless I move. However, I'd like to make a Ltwt. Officers I already have "CC ready".

May I ask folks what sort of sighting you all use on your CC guns? I've seen standard irons, gold beads, tritiums and those laser gizmos.

Also, for anyone with a Series 80 platform, did you leave all of the FP block/plunger nonsense intact or did you do like I did and throw it out as soon as you got it? I'm thinking for a true carry gun, if it came with it, it should probably be replaced.

I live in AZ, the land of t-shirts in winter. I carry a XDS in a Remora holster. Love the gun and I can tuck it inside the waistband of a pair of running shorts and log 5 trouble-free miles with the gun never moving. In fact I did this exact thing yesterday. If you wear dress/heavier clothes more a larger single stack should be fine though. I carried one like that for years in St. Louis.

Springfield XDS. I had a little trouble with slide bite but I think that is because I use a fairly high grip on pistols. Other then that, reliable, easily concealed. I use the 7 rd mags and plan to put some night sights on it as the factory sight shoot a little low for me. My 0.02 $.