Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my orders! Going back to the Army!!!

uscbigdawg

So an interesting moment in life today. For the first time in my new military career, I have failed at something.

We had a PT test this morning and despite the extra 15 push-ups that I did, my black hat failed me by one push-up (by 15 extra I mean 14 more than what I needed to pass). It really hurt as I really started to doubt whether or not I not only made the right decision by going Airborne, but even if I made the right decision in joining the Army.

After some pretty heavy soul searching (and talking with the Sarge...a.k.a. my father) I'm giving it a go again next week. It's going to suck losing about 10 friends from AIT that are in my Airborne platoon, but it might be a blessing.

Just a minny rant to let folks know that life isn't always perfect...as much as it should be. <_<

Take care,

SPC Richard A. White

1/507th Airborne Infantry, B-Company, 2nd Platoon

Fort Benning, GA

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Al,

Thanks for the quote.

So...part of being recycled is that you become the batallion work horse (thank goodness for rank as I'm leading the horses). If there was ever a satisfying detail it's one that we were on today.

We are finishing preparing the barracks for the 3rd ID's return from Iraq. Fresh paint, mopping & waxing floors, hanging blinds and curtains, etc. Basically, when they roll in, all they have to do is unpack and sleep.

I'm very happy to actually do something beyond the "normal" detail of cutting grass and washing toilets.

God Bless America and God Bless our military,

SPC Richard A. White

1/507th Airborne Infantry Batallion

Alpha Company

Fort Benning, GA

Well...the PT gods are not shining on me at all this month. Somehow I didn't pass again and therefore, no jumping out of airplanes for me any time soon (for the military anyways :o;) ).

Just pray that I get a cool assignment. Don't think that the 82nd needs a medic that doesn't have his jump wings. Although...stranger things have happened...this is the Army after all.

I have faith that God is putting me onto this path for a reason and trust that it will guide me back to Ft. Benning in 6 months or so to retake the course.

God Bless our military and God Bless America,

SPC Richard A. White

1/507th PIR, A-Co, 2nd PLT

Fort Benning, GA

• 2 months later...

Finally some good news from the ROK. We had weapons qualification and my record PT test this week.

Weapons Qualifications:

M-16: 39/40 (Expert) Finally! It's so much nicer having a rifle that's worth something...unlike at basic training.

M-9: 40/40 w/ 190/200 points (Expert). This one my father called. He said that I'd get criticized for going into IPSC mode and emptying the mag as fast as we shoot versus how the Army shoots. Sure enough. I had a good solid stance, was breathing, felt each trigger pull, watched the sights lift and return and called every shot. Pretty sweet. Nailed my reloads too!!!

PT Test: So since my departure from Ft. Benning, I have been kind of wondering what the hell was up with my PT test. I have never had a problem passing the push-ups, and despite the Airborne scoring system being notorious for failing Joe's I still figured it would have been alright. My section chief has made it his personal mission to have everyone in his section get 300+ on their PT tests. To say that he smokes us 4 days a week at PT is an understatement.

Well, having to take a record PT test within the first 45 days of arriving in country, mine was this past week (more than 45 days, but oh well). My previous best was a 240 and had to work for that one. This one....290! The only event that I didn't max was my push-ups....and I knew I wouldn't but I'll get there hopefully by the end of the year!

Believe it or not, y'all motivate me more than just about anything else. Since I'm out of IPSC for at least a year (probably two) I figured I had better get in some good shape when I get back to the states so I can catch up to all y'all workin' your butts off.

Well, just a little note in the journal.

Take care,

SPC Richard A. White

Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Richard,

I spent a year at Humphreys in the early 90's. It smelled like an open sewer then and I imagine it still does.

You can piss away a year of your life there or find a constructive hobby to fill the off duty hours. I ran, biked, and shot pheasants while I was there. I was a First Sergeant there and spent every nearly every Fri/Sat/Sun evening at the MP station by the gate picking up drunk troops. It was ~1/2 mile walk from the MP station to my company barracks-the bridge over the sh*t creek was enroute. More than one angry drunk got an upside down view of the creek until they settled down. I always led PT for my companies-Monday PT was always longer and tougher when I had to bring drunks home Sunday evening! :P

The girls down town don't love you-they love your money-period. As a medic, you know they can give the gift that keeps on giving.

Keep your head straight and the year will fly by.

Dave

M-9: 40/40 w/ 190/200 points (Expert). This one my father called. He said that I'd get criticized for going into IPSC mode and emptying the mag as fast as we shoot versus how the Army shoots. Sure enough. I had a good solid stance, was breathing, felt each trigger pull, watched the sights lift and return and called every shot. Pretty sweet. Nailed my reloads too!!!

Good job!

When I shot the M-9 a few years ago I got criticized for shooting in IPSC mode. The first target that came up, I didnt wait for it to become fully vertical. I shot it when it was about 45deg. The NCO that was standing there w/ me said that im supposed to wait for them to come all of the way up. Im not gonna wait for the 'enemy' to stand all of the way up b4 i shoot.

The last time I qualified with the M9 they didn't criticize me at all and it wasn't because I was an 03. The NCO's that ran the M9 qual range were all MP's and they were quick to complement me on my trigger control with the first DA shot and how fast I transitioned to the second target.

Of course they had been out there all day with other officer's who had all been shooting like crap and I think they were happy to see one who knew what he was doing. :D In fact, I kindly voluntered to stay and help shoot up all the excess 9mm when they were done. :rolleyes:

Neal in AZ

Liota and Rich,

You'll be about 30 minutes of death defying driving away from each other. Osan has the better town outside the gate of the two.

If you are a runner and the Osan Bulgogi Hash Hound Harriers are still functional, you'll have great fun. They used to refer to themselves as a drinking club with a running problem.

Dave

I spent a year at Humphreys in the early 90's. It smelled like an open sewer then and I imagine it still does.

Still does...especially around the north side of Perimeter Road where we do our PT runs and ruck marches. <_<

As for drunken soldiers, I worked the UCC last night pulling a 12 hour shift of volunteer time and had 5 alcohol poisonings before midnight. Not really bad. We expected worse with the post dry status lifted, payday weekend and 4-day Labor Day weekend. Second wave is coming tonight (Sunday night here). Fun, fun, fun.

As for the 'juicey girls' in the 'ville, no worries there Top. I'm so busy with working out, volunteering at the UCC and a couple of other places for ACS on post, working on my Master's Degree, filing my transfer to 377th MEDEVAC and my packet to the Army IPAP School (Physician's Assistant Program) that the absolute last thing on my mind is getting drunk and stupid. Plus, beer is cheaper at the bowling alley. :-D

Enjoy your time in the ROK. Maybe we can meet sometime next year. I finally got my one year hiatus 65 miles south of the DMZ. Going to Osan in January.

Liota - I go to Osan about every other weekend (if not there then up to Yongsan/Seoul to see my mom). When you get settled in and thaw out (it's going to be damn cold in January/February) we'll definitely have to hang out. Probably start our IPSC/BE.com support group for soldiers lacking adequate amounts of IPSC in their lives.

Thanks for the great words of encouragement everyone. Now if I can just trade my M-4 (why I qualify on the M-16 and use an M-4 and they say, 'I don't need my Carbine qual is beyond me) for one of the USAF's brand spankin' new M-4's with the M68's I'd be golden. Heck...they're not using them. :D Nah. I put an ACOG on mine and the MP's are jealous. My armourer (spelling) loves me. Of course he gets profiles when he "needs" them. ;)

God Bless and can't wait to see y'all back in the US.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

Camp Humphreys, ROK

• 4 weeks later...

For all the medical, EMS and trauma geeks out there. Just spent 4 days of training, and picked up my ACLS and PALS certifications. I need them to get on board MEDEVAC. Now, if I can get the Commander over there to give me the okey dokey, I'm good to go. I got a clean bill of health on my flight physical too.

The cool part was the NCOIC and OIC of the courses asked if I wanted to be an instructor for future ACLS and PALS courses. I responded, "Fooled you Sir, Ma'am and Seargent." They were very complimentary.

Being an instructor would be cool, and I'll probably get the certification, but rarely teach. The classes are mostly doctors and nurses (i.e. officers) and them learning from an E-4 (soon to be E-5...hoping, hoping, hoping) might be a little weird...on their part.

Nevertheless, things are going half way well in the ROK. After frying my brain on cardiorhythms, ECG readings and a long list of drug and treatment algorithms in September...I'm training up for the EFMB in October. Wish me luck!

God Bless and take care of yourself and loved ones!

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Translation:

ACLS = Advanced Cardiac Life Support

PALS = Pediatric Advanced Cardiac Life Support (I know there's no C in PALS)

EFMB = Expert Field Medical Badge (a.k.a. THE hardest badge in the Army to earn)

Great job, uscbigdawg. Motivated and dedicated Soldier. I am in Yongsan in command of HHC, 175th FINCOM. Yeah you got it, Finance. I am having withdrawals from IDPA, USPSA, and just going out to the range to shoot and relax. My withdrawals became so bad that I planned and conducted a reflexive shooting range for my Company. Each Soldier shot 14 - 20 round mags at distances of 4m, 7m, 10m, 15m, 20m, and 25m. We did a string of single shot and then we did controlled pairs. Also at 4m and 7m, we did a string of 3 round burst. We used IDPA targets that I ordered. 280 rounds per Soldiers. That is more rounds in one day than most Finance Soldiers will shoot in 2 years. We also had a zero and qualification range in early September. A lot of shooting going on in my unit in September. Seems kind of a lot for a Finance unit but I try to conduct range operations as much as possible. For one reason, most of my Soldiers are low density and are leaving Korea to go to Hawaii, Fort Drum, Fort Campbell, Fort Bragg, Fort Hood, etc. You know that is only a pit stop to head over the pond. The other reason I take them to the range is so I can shoot and not go crazy sitting in the office.

If you are ever in the Yongsan area, hit me up.

CPT Jonathan Westfield

Hooah Sir!

When we qualled on the M-9, I was criticized for shooting "too fast" until they saw the target. Expert on my first qualification with the M-9.

I was just up your way sir, for my training at the 121st. Nice facility.

It's great to see that you're a CO that gets their folks on the range. A) It's good training; B ) It keeps them sane (mostly probably you; and C) Heck...we've got more than enough time over here, so we might as well shoot the free bullets!

I'll probably bug you in November, sir. While I'll be in Yongsan for the Pig Bowl, 8th MP Brigade Run and MAYBE the MP Ball (doubt it), but the entire month of October is dedicated to train up and executing the EFMB.

I do hope we get to meet some time.

Take care and good evening sir,

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Edited by uscbigdawg

Rich, start memorizing all the number of litter and ambulatory patients on all the vehicles and aircraft. Tthey have, or at least had, a lot of questions like xx ambulatory, xx litters, you have a UH-1 (I know, I'm old), and a C-130, how many trips.. blah-blah-blah

uscbigdawg, Wanted to drop a note to say thank you for your service. I also wanted to tell you that my Brother in Law is currently an SSG, in Iraq with the 3rd I.D. (stationed out of Ft. Benning). He's roaming around a couple FOB's in Northeastern Iraq near the Iran border. I am hoping to get him involved in USPSA and IPSC shooting when he returns. I will let him know that you fellers have squared away the barracks for their arrival home!

Thank you !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the video. I love that stuff!!! I miss skydiving so much!!! I put in my 4187 today to go back to Airborne school. I will smoke it this time. Hooah!!!

Unfortunately, I won't be doing EFMB this time around. Two reasons. 1 - After spending time on the Korea land navigation course, I found that it's a BS course (especially since the scouts working the course, stated they couldn't find half the points...AND IT'S THEIR JOB!). 2 - I broke 2 and cracked 2 ribs during combatives this week and my command is not letting me go. I understand.

Wish me luck though, I also put in my 4187 to go to Flight Medic school and if all goes well, I'll be back in the US way ahead of my projected departure date. Hope so. Not that I hate Korea, it's just that I LOVE THE USA!!!

So, here's one soldier that thanks you for all your support. Honestly, I wouldn't be as motivated as I am if not for the people on this board. Cheesy? Maybe. But still the truth. Y'all are extended family and I can't wait to see you on a range soon.

God bless you and the USA,

Camp Humphreys, ROK

• 6 months later...

So it's been a while and I figured I'd add a little to this little journal.

First, despite being a medic, after sustaining yet another injury, I refused to go to sick call. Not normally a bad thing, except it cost me passing a PT test. Kind of hard to do push-ups with a partial shoulder seperation and strained liagments in both elbows. Combatives sucks! So I got flagged and it cost me early promotion. Well, thankfully, that's all gone as of yesterday. Passed the PT test without difficulty and flags were removed. So, going to get promoted here soon.

Second, as of this morning, I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 76 days and a wake up 'til I'm on the fastest thing moving east and going home for what appears to be 6 weeks. Don't know why the Army did that, but not really too concerned about it.

Third, I report on 20 AUG to Fort Rucker, Alabama where I will be attending, "The Most Professional School In The Military", the Flight Medic Course. From there, should I pass, it'll be on to the Real Army, Fort Bragg, NC and the 82nd Aviation Brigade!

Sometimes, things just have a way of working themselves out I suppose. I was supposed to go to Bragg a year ago, but came to Korea instead. I was pretty down, 'cause it's the one place I REALLY wanted to go, and thought I blew it. God's unlimited grace, has brought me to where I believe I can do the most good for my fellow soldiers, the military and the US. While admittedly my faith sometimes wandered, it's these moments that remind me that He's always there taking care of all of us.

So, here's one soldier that can't wait to get on the range (09 JUL 06 at Yolo hopefully!!!) ASAP and see all of you again. It's through Him that all things in this world are possible. And for me, all of you here provide that push whenever I look to a 'battle buddy' for a hand up. Thanks.

SPC (P) Richard A. White, Senior Medic

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Edited by uscbigdawg

Congratulations on being able to leave the Land of the Morning Calm so soon. I still have until June 2007. Command is fun but the hours are long. Best of luck to you at Fort Rucker and the rest of your Army career. Have fun in Enterprise. Good luck when you go to Fort Bragg.

glock17w

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm no longer going to the promotion board. Just when you think the Army is making sense, it reminds you why it's becoming weaker every day. [prepare for a pretty severe rant]

I just had my monthly counseling session with my "supervisor" and he tells me that I lack military bearing and do not understand the Chain of Command/NCO Support Chain. Both of these are funny and true...from his perspective.

Military Bearing. Apparently I lack it because during an exercise when we had a (fictional) patient with an uncontrolled bleeding puncture wound I yelled at him (E-5) to get the f*** out of my way so I can save this person's life. The scene was a soldier that a knife stuck in their chest. My interventions were as follows:

1 - Identified that the scene was secure; noted no witnesses as to how the knife entered his chest and assessed patient's LOC to ask MOI of the injury. Further, directed my supervisor (who used to be a medic) to call 911 (it happened in garrison).

2 - Patient Info/Assessments: Patient was unconscious and did not respond to physical, vocal or pain stimulus. Good airway (I threw a NPA and an OPA to secure it and keep the tongue in place), spontaneous respirations and only immediate bleeding stemmed from the knife wound. I 'dressed' the wound in that I splinted it in place and controlled the bleeding, but purposely held off from "sealing" the wound (I'll explain later). And after finding no radial pulse (translation: Systolic BP is < 90) immediately started IV infusion bolus w/ large bore catheters (2 x 14ga.). Conducted a head to toe RTA (Rapid Trauma Assesment) to determine further injuries and no exit or additional wounds caused by the knife.

3 - I undid the dressing I initially did to control the bleeding and replaced it with an oclusive dressing that I made from 2 plastic wrappings from field dressings (what I originally dressed the wound with). Sealed it as air tight as it was going to get (in the hope of creating a Tension Pneumothorax) and re-splinted the knife in place. After splinting both arms (to secure the IV sites) and rolling him up like a burrito in a blanket and moving him to a litter my supervisor returned to let me know the ambulance was in route.

This is where the argument ensued. He tells me that I shouldn't be doing IV infusion because he might, "GO INTO SHOCK". I asked what are you talking about? He didn't really have a response. I said, "He's got a knife in his chest and has bled about 2 pints of blood out. If he's going to do anything he's going to be a textbook example of hypovolemic shock from bleeding out." He said, "well you don't do IV infusion on a shock patient." After giving him the most perplexed look, I re-checked all my interventions. Went through all my algorithms. And then, what I wanted to happen happened. I started seeing signs of labored respirations and verified my plan by listening for the pneumothorax. Perfect. My "supervisor" then says the dressing is too tight and he's having a pneumothorax and went to take over. I said that I'm the supervising medic on scene and if he wants to help, he needs to listen to my direction. He said that since he out ranks me that he's in charge of the scene. I reminded him of medical SOP/protocal that showed he was wrong. He said, I was right. I said, "Thank you now get the f*** out of my way so I can save his life." I backed down the fluid rate on the IV's as the radial pulses came back (> 94 systolic on large bleeds and you start blowing out blood clots). Then, performed a needle decompression (textbook 2nd intercostal, mid-clavicular). Stablized the catheter and normal respirations returned.

So now the patient has a patent airway, breathing is spontaneous w/ bilateral rise and fall of the chest and clear breath sounds at apexes and bases. No signs of bleeding through my dressing and supplemental fluid is doing it's job. Wrapped him up, picked him up with the arriving medic/ambulance driver onto the stretcher and wheeled him into the ambulance.

Patient survived after surgery to remove the knife. Clinic OIC gave me a coin and gave raving comments on the save to my Company. It was a great day. Was I right for yelling at him? Probably not, but in a real world situation, he was more harm than good and I look at that as killing a patient rather than helping one.

So what do I have waiting for me on the counseling statement today? I lack military bearing, respect for NCO's and will not be recommended for promotion. Too, the counseling is being forwarded up the chain of command if any UCMJ action is being deemed appropriate.

Failure to understand the Chain of Command/NCO Support Chain: While sitting at JAG for 9 hours, it came up in conversation with my commander that I have 140 hours of volunteer time in the year that I've been in Korea. The Commander proceeds to type up a recommendation for the Outstanding Volunteer Service Ribbon. Before I explain the fallout. About a month ago, while standing in the lobby area outside my Commander's office, talking with 3 other soldiers, my Commander calls me in and we just talk about random stuff and about some medical reports that I prepare for him and the 1SG every week. The 1SG tells my supervisor that I'm doing a good job and enjoyed the meeting we had today.

My supervisor tells me that I do not understand the COC/NCOSC because, "I asked the Commander to type my award paperwork. And, inspite of the Commander's and 1SG's 'open door policy' any conversations with them must be coordinated by him." I explained that I didn't ask for any paperwork to be done. The Captain did it on his own. Further, I didn't ask to speak to the Commander and 1SG. The O-3 and E-8 told the E-4 to come into the Commander's office. WTF!

I've had it. I told him that I'm a crappy soldier and should be kicked out of the Army. I suck at PT (285 on my PT test 2 weeks ago). I suck at military knowledge (won the last Soldier of the Month Board...and no one was close). I suck at my job (I've earned 6 coins and a COA in 10.5 months of being here). Oh...and I'm a disciplinary problem (I get pointed out at every weekly safety brief for never doing anything wrong by the 1SG).

This guy has spent 4 of his 6 years in the Army on the AIP (a.k.a. Avoid Iraq Program) in Korea. I told him today that after 45 days when I start clearing, he won't ever have to deal with a soldier like me again. This is ridiculous.

So, I'm changing the signature block to what it was back in the old days, until I return to the real Army at Fort Bragg, NC, because this place is BS!!!!

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg