Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load recommendations for .45

JoseyWalesX

Hey guys, just purchased a 625 to use in USPSA and would like some load recommendations for making major with the .45. I currently use Titegroup and Clays in other calibers and would like to be able to use on of those if possible to keep my powder selection small.

thanks!

Use Clays and work from about 4.0 grains up for jacketed or plated, and about 3.8 for lead, depending on your gun.

Titegroup can work but it does seem to leave an occasional grain in the cylinder that can be a problem, plus it gets hot and I guarantee you on a 95 deg. day you will curse it on a reload.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will try the Clays.

Thinking about trying the Xtreme bullets or the Precision(black) bullets in 230gr. Any opinions on either of those?

I've been through a range of powders for reasons I won't get into here but came back to 4.4 Clays with the Xtreme or Zero. I seem to have a slow bbl so start around 4.0 or below. I had very good accuracy with both the Precision and Bayou but neither will feed reliably through the Hornady feeder I have set up on my 650. Have fun - Revo is great.

Thinking about trying the Xtreme bullets or the Precision(black) bullets in 230gr. Any opinions on either of those?

I've been through a range of powders for reasons I won't get into here but came back to 4.4 Clays with the Xtreme or Zero. I seem to have a slow bbl so start around 4.0 or below. I had very good accuracy with both the Precision and Bayou but neither will feed reliably through the Hornady feeder I have set up on my 650. Have fun - Revo is great.

I have been using Precision Delta HBWC bullets for my PPC shooting following recommendations by other shooters. The quality of the bullet seems fine, at least out to those 50 yard targets. They offer two different bullet lubes, I have just used the cheaper of the two but if I was going to be using exposed RN bullets I might look at their more expensive bullet lube as it looks less messy.

Jim

3.9 Clays with 230 Cast lead bullet ran 172 at the Memphis Charity Classic, five inch 625. My shooting friends four inch 625 makes 170's with 3.7 of Clays. Any lower than 3.7 gets erratic in my revolver.

Might start at 3.7 and do a little Chronograph work. We both set crimp at .470 so the same ammo will run in a 1911.

Don't care for Titegroup in a 45, my second choice is Red Dot.

For what its worth, I've been using Winchester Super Target (WST) for years.

Haven't tried the Precision bullets, but as Xtreme Bullets is only about an hour from my residence, I've been using them for many years also. I think everyone would agree Xtreme Bullets are not exactly precision match bullets. But they've worked quite well.

I always liked the Precision Bullets, they have the best coating. The only issue is their bullets now have a slight FN on the RN bullets.

I tried them and they worked ok, but the FN can cause a problem.

You might check out Bayou Bullets, they work just as good and they are true RN.

Also in the Coated Bullets Black Bullet International seem ok.

All 3 are better than just lead, in the order I commented on them, and are all cheaper than Jacketed/Plated.

And all 3 are very close in price.

Precision has a long history and Donnie Miculek of Bayou and Tom Drazy of BBI all are easy to work with.

Edited by pskys2

Hey guys, just purchased a 625 to use in USPSA and would like some load recommendations for making major with the .45. I currently use Titegroup and Clays in other calibers and would like to be able to use on of those if possible to keep my powder selection small.

thanks!

4.0 Clays is all ye need to know. Titegroup makes for a very warm cylinder

Clays is a great powder for the 625. It doesn't meter quite as well as 231 or Titegroup but does well at 25yrds or so. Clays is very clean, just leaves a light brown haze that seems to wipe out easily. Clays has a pressure curve that looks like an F-16 taking off so stick to published load data. Titegroup is a frugal powder inexpensive and a little goes a long way. I have heard that Titegroup has more nitroglycerine per weight than any other powder so it is not as position sensitive in larger cases. As stated though Titegroup gets hot quickly. I think Precision Delta has a website disclaimer against shooting there lead bullets with Titegroup because of leading issues due to excessive heat generated.

Edited by toothguy

4.0 grn Clays in my 4" 625 is way too much with 230 gr Berry's plated, I averaged 780 fps at MCC for a 179 PF. Not having a chrono here (due to no place to use it) I've been erroring on the safe side, but I'll drop down to 3.7 or 3.8 gr next season for a softer shooting load.

I am also loading 4.0 gr of Clays with the 230 gr Black Bullets Intl RN. It has plenty of punch coming out of my 5" barreled PC 625 to hammer steel targets. The PF is 170. I also use the same load in my SS.

Edited by Jaxshooter

It seems like all the Revo .45 ACP guys shoot 230 grain. I've been shooting 200 grain in my 1911 and making major with 4.4 of clays. It is soft (got the load from someone here)

Any reason you guys don't shoot a lighter bullet? Or is the recoil impulse out of a revolver that much different from a 1911? I have a K frame, but not a 625 yet so it's hard to compare.

Thanks,

Jeff

It seems like all the Revo .45 ACP guys shoot 230 grain. I've been shooting 200 grain in my 1911 and making major with 4.4 of clays. It is soft (got the load from someone here)

Any reason you guys don't shoot a lighter bullet? Or is the recoil impulse out of a revolver that much different from a 1911? I have a K frame, but not a 625 yet so it's hard to compare.

Thanks,

Jeff

A fast powder and heavy bullet has a nice soft recoil. The 230 grain round nose bullet profile loads moon clips quickly in a chamfered 625 cylinder.

Thanks,

Jeff

I shoot 200gr Bayou RNs at the moment. I seat them really deep and crimp over the shoulder. No bullet pull whatsoever and really consistent chrono numbers. The shorter rounds load easier in spite of the small shoulder. I don't think I'd try this without big chamfers on your cylinder but it's working pretty well with a Redding profile crimp die and a heavy crimp. I like the recoil impulse, it's not as bad as 230s. With 230s the cylinder release batters the hell out of my thumb and I chrono'd 177 at Memphis with these. For some reason 177 with these is much more pleasant than 177 with 230s, I don't know why.

Edited by Shadowrider

At the Charity Classic my 625 ran 172 in the middle of the day and 168 in the evening just before dark temps had dropped a little using 230 lead plain cast with 3.9 of Clays. Chrono work showed my gun didn't drop velosity at 3.7 but was erratic on the spread so I stayed with 3.9. Takes 4.0 to 4.1 of Clays using a Precision Delta 230 jacketed bullet to make major with a 5 inch 1911 or my 625. OAL at 1.250.