Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions: SVI IMM 38 Super, 6 popple holes

rjennings10

First time open, picked her up the other day. Those who have owned one, what can you tell me about this gun. How violent are the popple holes at major? Anyone have load data for this particular model? Year?

I shot a handfull of rounds, but no idea if they were major or not. The balance is great, looks like it sat in a safe awhile, low round count.

post-22511-0-98042900-1351908264_thumb.j

post-22511-0-50378100-1351908289_thumb.j

Its going to take a lot of powder to make major. Chrono some different loads and see how it works for you. If it doesn't, you could always re-barrel. You might also consider having a smith tap the round bbl holes and fill them in with screws with the nastiest loc-tite available. If you have enough patience, tap all three holes, play around with different configurations of screws, and go with the one that feels the best.

I've shot a couple in that configuration. Hated it. Every shot is like getting hit in the chest with a bat.

IIRC the only powders that can make Major in that gun are 3N38 and SP2.

If I had one I would get it re-barreled.

Edit to add: Also the dot doesn't track, at all. After the shot breaks the dot goes into a kind of quantum uncertainty state, zipping around the lens in all directions. It eventually settles back of course but you can't follow it. I'm sure someone in this world knows how to shoot these guns but it's not me.

Edited by MoNsTeR

Just shoot it it aint that bad..the performance will be stellar...after awhile you will not notice the blast unless you focus on that instead of shooting... Dont even consider rebarreling the gun.the new ones are close to the same as far as loudness/ blast..these guns are among the best..who cares if the ROs hate it!!

Edited by nipplehead

Rebarrel it. I have that same configuration. It shoots awesome, probably the best Open gun i have ever shot....but you have zero load development choices, only 3n38 and 125 gr bullets will make major. It's hard on brass, you use a lot more powder and its got a mean bark. Fwiw give Brandon a call and see about getting it refitted with a newer config barrel, or shoot it minor for Steel Challenge or Open division 3 gun.

You can use a bigger bullet and push that thing almost like a super hot pin load and it will still shoot flat. There is a 135 grain and 147 Grain 38 super load with lil gun on Hodgdon's website that might be able to be used.

Granted people like lighter bullets and so do I, however, this could be a very viable option to make major and have something that shoots flat with a relatively inexpensive and readily available powder.

Maybe you could speak with a gunsmith and see if it's possible to take two ports off that comp???

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Hope this helps

Robby

Edited by PINMAN44

I wouldn't change a thing for now. Develop a load using 3N38, then shoot it for a few months. Then after you get a feel for open consider a new barrel. For now just enjoy your new toy.

Next, don't let another smith touch it. It's a factory Infinity and as long as you have Infinity work on the pistol, it will hold it's value. Don't go putting screws and trying to fill holes. Just wear ear protection, with ear plugs or you will be that old guy who always responds with... Huh? WHAT!?! YOU GOT TO SPEAK UP!

I wouldn't change a thing for now. Develop a load using 3N38, then shoot it for a few months. Then after you get a feel for open consider a new barrel. For now just enjoy your new toy.

Next, don't let another smith touch it. It's a factory Infinity and as long as you have Infinity work on the pistol, it will hold it's value. Don't go putting screws and trying to fill holes. Just wear ear protection, with ear plugs or you will be that old guy who always responds with... Huh? WHAT!?! YOU GOT TO SPEAK UP!

Great advice...Nobody but Brandon should touch that gun..but now I would shoot it double plugged for awhile. As far as load development goes..why bother you have a proven flat load for your gun..learn to shoot it. One of the advantages of buying an Infinity or Brazos and a couple others are that the load development has already been done ..No need to add that distraction to the process...shoot the gun even if Brandon updates it to the newest version it still will be loud as hell...talk to him he gonna tell you their open guns are the loudest out there..but the performance is there aswell

• 2 weeks later...

I had one exactly like it. It took 11gr 3N38 to make major with a 124gr MG JHP. I got Brandon to install a new barrel and comp as the blast was intense and RO's will hate you!

I had one of the very first IMM Opens configured like that. You wind up blowing a lot of gunpowder out the top. Also had it rebarrelled to one of the more current configurations and am much happier.

I had one like it also.( I don't call those popple holes.) I got rid of mine because there were plenty of guns that were just as flat shooting that used far less powder and had a variety of powders you could make major with. The concussion to the face is not pleasent either.

I have one. ROs hate it. It is loud. I use a lot of 3N38 -- major is a little iffy.

I shot my first 'A' classifier with it after a couple weeks. Won my first local match using it. I like it!

I may get it rebarreled. I haven't decided yet. 2013 will be the year of Open for me.