Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 MGM Ironman

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a first year shooter if you want to assure yourself a spot, offer to work. If you can't RO, you can keep score, help set up, or work the tear down crew. At the Ironman, the staff gets to shoot the match for real, not some rushed stage check out sort of shoot through. Plus you get cool shirts and a sunburn.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Stlhead

As a first year shooter if you want to assure yourself a spot, offer to work. If you can't RO, you can keep score, help set up, or work the tear down crew. At the Ironman, the staff gets to shoot the match for real, not some rushed stage check out sort of shoot through. Plus you get cool shirts and a sunburn.

Edited for spelling.

Yep. Help is needed I'm sure. I did it for 2 years. I just can't take that much time off this year or I would do it again.

This is a plausible scenario for Thursday evening at 17:25 PST:

Wife: "Hurry up, we'll be late for dinner."

Me (at computer): "Ok honey. I'll be ready to go in just a few minutes."

Wife: "But we have reservations and we have to leave NOW."

Me: "I can't leave yet. It will be just a couple of minutes."

Wife: "What's so important on that old computer?"

Me: "I'm waiting for the Ironman registration to open."

Wife: "And just why is that more important than taking your wife out to dinner on Valentine's Day? Do it tomorrow."

Me: "Tomorrow will be too late. I have to register now."

Wife: "If you don't get off that computer NOW, there will be no dinner, or anything else for you tonight!"

Me: "I have to register NOW, or I won't get into the match!"

Wife: "WAAAAAAAA! WAAAAAAA! You love your Ironman more than ME!" The tears are now flowing.

Me "Oh, oh, oh! The registration window just opened!"

Wife: "The bedroom door is now closing! You can just sleep on the couch with your IRONMAN! I hope you 2 have a WONDERFUL TIME!"

She then throws the fresh flowers I bought for her onto my keyboard.

Me: "What? Huh? What are you talking about? Oh CRAP, the match is FULL!"

:blush:

This is a plausible scenario for Thursday evening at 17:25 PST:

Wife: "Hurry up, we'll be late for dinner."

Me (at computer): "Ok honey. I'll be ready to go in just a few minutes."

Wife: "But we have reservations and we have to leave NOW."

Me: "I can't leave yet. It will be just a couple of minutes."

Wife: "What's so important on that old computer?"

Me: "I'm waiting for the Ironman registration to open."

Wife: "And just why is that more important than taking your wife out to dinner on Valentine's Day? Do it tomorrow."

Me: "Tomorrow will be too late. I have to register now."

Wife: "If you don't get off that computer NOW, there will be no dinner, or anything else for you tonight!"

Me: "I have to register NOW, or I won't get into the match!"

Wife: "WAAAAAAAA! WAAAAAAA! You love your Ironman more than ME!" The tears are now flowing.

Me "Oh, oh, oh! The registration window just opened!"

Wife: "The bedroom door is now closing! You can just sleep on the couch with your IRONMAN! I hope you 2 have a WONDERFUL TIME!"

She then throws the fresh flowers I bought for her onto my keyboard.

Me: "What? Huh? What are you talking about? Oh CRAP, the match is FULL!"

:blush:

WORTH IT except keep your focus on the computer when the flowers fly!!

In at 1902 mst...hope that was fast enough. If I get in I could screw up the rest of the season and still be happy.

I'm all for volunteering, but for my first go around and second big 3gun I should probably focus on the task at hand.

In at 1902 mst...hope that was fast enough. If I get in I could screw up the rest of the season and still be happy.

I'm all for volunteering, but for my first go around and second big 3gun I should probably focus on the task at hand.

Since the match is broken into 2 halves with a reset day it's not hard to go from shooter to RO mode and if you RO first it helps get you acclimated to shooting long stages which is what throws most people the first time out. Just don't injure yourself before you shoot.

I feel so stupid! For some reason my old mind was thinking the 14th. I didn't find out my mistake till 22:30 last night. I still got my registration in, but it probably only puts me on the waiting list. Shot 4 Ironman matches, but missed the last 2. Doesn't help me much, does it?

Since the match is broken into 2 halves with a reset day it's not hard to go from shooter to RO mode and if you RO first it helps get you acclimated to shooting long stages which is what throws most people the first time out. Just don't injure yourself before you shoot.

I'm all for jumping in and helping. I RO all the time locally, I just didn't want to bite off more than I can chew the first time.

I already screwed up claiming to be sponsored because I have a minor local sponsor, but im not shooting for a sponsor of the match. I sent an email to Travis, but haven't heard any confirmation if its been straightened out.

I have even put in for the time off at work already without my confirmation letter. Fingers crossed and hope my close friends get in too. For me, that is what makes the Ironman what it is, its a reunion when we get to hang out for 4 days doing what we love best, and surviving the match together.