Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Anyone Still Shoot 30-30?

roostershooter

Yep. Hunt in the far northwestern part of WI heavy wooded areas. Use the 300 WIN Mag when sitting but when I go for a walk or wander about the lighter and shorter 30-30 is great for those quick jump shooting situations.

I like it a lot in my T/C Contender and shoot 30-30 a lot. It is fun/cheap to shoot with cast bullets and I do that quite a bit. I have lots of brass so I figure I woudll eventually get a lever rifle also.

Neal in AZ

90% of the deer I have killed over the years have been with my Marlin 336 in 30-30. In brush and forest where the longest clear shot is less than 100 yards, its hard to beat the 30-30.

Yeah, that's about where I am in the terrain I hunt. I have shot several deer with my 45-70 over the past 10 years, but it tends to be too much for the whitetails in my area.

As for cast bullets ...

What are you shooting? Do you GC your cast bullets or shoot them nude?

While I have shot some gallery type loads in the 30-30 (115gr. (with no check) lead bullet doing 700 fps) I mostly shoot the bullets with gas checks usually @ 1,600-2,000 fps depending on the weight I am shooting. Keeps the gun clean and I can go out and shoot 100 rds for very little $ and not feel guilty. Our local range has steel targets out to 600 meters so I go out there and bang away at them.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

I am running 2 1894 Winchesters myself. One in 30-30 and one in 38-55. I am also reloading for both. The 30-30 gets a Gas checked 170gr Lasercast RNFP over 29.0gr of IMR 3031 and does fairly well. I can not remember what the 38-55 gets right at the moment. I still have a couple boxes of factory for huntin, but they will last a loooong time the way life has been going. :devil:

The original question asked about .30 caliber Marlins if my reading ability has not totally failed me. :rolleyes:

"I'm thinking of picking up a 336 in 35 Remington. In your opinion, what is the best cartridge available in the 30 cal. Marlins?"

Edited by Steve RA

I have an old Sav. 170B 30-30 pump gun I use for general purpose plinking,small game and larger game. The rifle gets a steady diet of cast lead bullets that I cast myself.

For the plinker/small game loads I use the Lee 32 cal. 90 gr. tumble lube SWC cast from pure lead and sized to .311 and load it behind 3.0 to 3.5 grs. of Allaint Bullseye MV average is 950 fps. if you use the max. load which isn't really a maxinum load but accuracy and leading may become an issue if you load it much faster. Plus the load being subsonic it's pretty quiet as well.

For Med. to large game I cast and load the Lee 170 gr. RNFP gas check bullet. For a heavy plinker/game load I cast the Lee bullet form WW alloy leave the GC off and give it two light coats of Lee Alox/JPW lube and push it with 7.0 grs. of Allaint Red Dot. MV runs in the 1250 fps. range.

For Med to large deer size game I cast the same bullet for 30:1 Lead/Tin alloy for a little expansion apply the gas check with the Lee .311 push through sizer and ranch dip or pan lube my bullets. I push these bullet with 28.0 grs. of H-335 MV at 2K fps.

Accuracy with all loads is excellent,they shoot 2" or better out at 50 yds. with the irons which havea pretty fat front bead. A scope would probably benefit me greatly but around here 50 yds. is about the longest shot you will get in thick woods.

30-30 plinker/small game load shot at around 30 yds.

30-30.jpg

The 3.0 to 3.5 gr. Bullseye load and 90 TL SWC sized to .311 can also be use in 300 Sav. 30-06 and 308 Win. as well with basically the same results. On a side note the 90 gr. SWC originally cast at .314" give me excellent results in my SKS and Mosin rifles. 2.7 to 3.0 grs. Bullseye in the X 39 cartridge and 3.0 to 3.5 grs. Bullseye in the 54r,all loads in the charge weight range give velocity in the 1K or less fps. range.

Edited by res45