Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recipe for a mid-level AR

jogan

I know the knowledge level here is deeper than the ocean so I come to you for a little help. I'd like to build a mid-level AR. Something around $1000 before optics. Mid-length gas system, decent trigger, decent barrel. Where can I save some cash and where do I need to spend it to keep from "crying twice?" So if you had a grand in your pocket and you just HAD to build an AR, what's your parts list? Thanks guys!

I know the knowledge level here is deeper than the ocean so I come to you for a little help. I'd like to build a mid-level AR. Something around $1000 before optics. Mid-length gas system, decent trigger, decent barrel. Where can I save some cash and where do I need to spend it to keep from "crying twice?" So if you had a grand in your pocket and you just HAD to build an AR, what's your parts list? Thanks guys!

First question would be, what is the intended use? This because a chrome lined barrel will out last stainless and requires no break in, but stainless is preferred for 3g competition and some believe a break in for ss is good thing to do. (of course others do not feel the same.)

Next, Do you want to hide the flash, or tame the barrel movement.

Not sure how you feel about triggers. For me, few things are more important than a good trigger. I really like the JP, but there are several more that have very good reputations. I'm not that familiar with them< (other than box stock) as I have stuck with JP but others will swear there favorite brand is better. I'd have to spring for the best I could find here, and save on other parts.

I really like Palmetto State Armory lowers. They were recently selling "blemished" lowers for $60 and the ones we picked up, I really can't tell why it is called a blemished item. They state they are in speck and classed blemish because of some finish fault, but I can't tell what that might be. I have one built using a VLTOR upper and there is zero slop between the two. Not sure if a better quality lower is available except for the CNC'd verity, and I think these are way, way over priced. Using PSA saves some $$$ and sacrifices nothing IMO. Other opinions may vary, but that is mine, and where I would start.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

If you get a good set of forged receivers and a good barrel, the rest is easy to change out as you decide on options down the road.

The DPMS stock with buffer parts from Midway is on sale for under $60 for one more day. Shooter's Connection has the Firebird lowers on sale for $124. A Corvette comp on the Nordic 18" competition barrel is about $300. You can get Mil-spec BCGs from Nordic for $109 and an inexpensive handguard from Nordic for $90. You can find quality upper receivers for about $120 complete from Midway or Brownells as well. You can certainly get a lower parts kit, gas block and gas tube for less than the $200 left. A CMC trigger is about $160, a steel set screw gas block and tube you can do for $40 from Midway or Brownells. That would put you lacking about $30 in small parts for the lower (certainly you can get someone to buy you $30 of parts for Christmas).

With the quality receivers, barrel and trigger, you won't need to change those major components and you will have a sub MOA rifle out of the gate. The first upgrade I would do from that base is a JP low mass bolt carrier group.

Thanks for the info, guys! Just the type of info I'm looking for. Intended use for this AR would be mainly paper-killin with the possibility of some 3gun down the road. (We don't have any 3gun matches close enough to my area but we DO play with the AR's and shotguns after our IDPA matches every month.) And I'm not scared of blemishes! I've got 2 pairs of "blemished" golf shoes that I still can't find the blemish on em! I'm more interested in taming barrel jump than hiding flash. And I won't be putting a suppressor on it. I've also got a nice connection to a local buddy that can cerakote once I pick my parts!

Is there a big issue with .223 over 5.56? I know if you get one, you can shoot both and if you get the other one, you can only shoot that caliber, etc.

Get the Wylde chamber .223

I just bought a striped upper and lower from PSA (Palmetto State Armory), both were blemished, total cost for the two was $109. I could not find the blemish on either. When I am ready for a barrel, it will be from MarkCO, 18" Nordic chambered in .223 Wylde

Thanks for the info, guys! Just the type of info I'm looking for. Intended use for this AR would be mainly paper-killin with the possibility of some 3gun down the road. (We don't have any 3gun matches close enough to my area but we DO play with the AR's and shotguns after our IDPA matches every month.) And I'm not scared of blemishes! I've got 2 pairs of "blemished" golf shoes that I still can't find the blemish on em! I'm more interested in taming barrel jump than hiding flash. And I won't be putting a suppressor on it. I've also got a nice connection to a local buddy that can cerakote once I pick my parts!

Is there a big issue with .223 over 5.56? I know if you get one, you can shoot both and if you get the other one, you can only shoot that caliber, etc.

MarkCo knows FAR more than me, but for your use I think a chrome lined barrel would be something to consider and might save you some coin. The Nordic/Wilson is a fabulous barrel, I have yet to hear anyone one say they got one and it wasn't accurate, and seems to me they run about $185 without comp., so you really can't go wrong either way.

Comp, I tend to go over budget on things, and am not familiar with the Corvette comp MarkCo was talking about. You might consider a Miculek for $30 or go hog wild with something like a Rolling thunder or JSC Titan. I think it would be money well spent.

Brovo company has some great deals on uppers right now, I think $80 un-assembled if I recall, pretty good deal, and they sell a good product. I think I'd spring for another $20 though and get the one wiht the M4 feed ramps from them. If PSA still has some blem lowers you'd be bringing in a lower and upper for $160, that would allow you a lot of flexibility on other components.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Simple thought list for you:

• 223 Wylde, not just 223 Remington. 223 Wylde can use 223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammo.
  • Corvette comp is much better than the price implies. Recent testing I've seen shows that it is excellent. My experiences (pro & con) matched up with that video review series.
  • listen to MarkCO
  • Mark made an upper for me much earlier this year that was sub-MOA at delivery but didn't break the bank
  • did I mention listen to Mark? Yeah? Well it was worth repeating.
  • He helped me with barrels, trigger choices, gas blocks, and all kinds of other stuff. Great advice.
  • Don't let the rifle get too heavy!! That has been my one mistake that I'm having to correct. Not easy or cheap to correct after the fact, so don't do it at the start.

Good luck. I hope you get to try some 3-gun sometime soon.

Edited by michael1778

Here is what I went with this Fall for my budget build. I opted to get the JP LMOS now and just JP trigger springs, and stoned the trigger parts myself. Next Spring I will upgrade to a nice trigger.

My AR build

I haven't the foggiest if folks will be able to see the doc. I think so, but not sure.

Here is a decent choice for an upper: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/138383/dpms-upper-receiver-stripped-ar-15-low-profile-flat-top-matte

I don't think dust covers are over-rated, but FAs are IMHO. If you go this route and shoot in dust locales, keep the gun bagged. This saves you about $40...if my math is right, you will be just at $1000 with all the parts I suggested.

What I recently build:

All parts DoubleStar / J&T Distributing:

Upper receiver:

18" SS Wilson Air Gauged barrel

Low profile gas block (non adjustable for now)

Carlson compensator

Samson Evolution 15" handguard

Flat top upper receiver

Standard BCG (for now)

Lower receiver:

Lower receiver blem for 65 dollars

Standard LPK

CMC Trigger unit with flat trigger

ACE Skeleton stock

Standard rifle buffer (for now)

I think you'll end up just over our budget.

Thanks again for all the input, guys! We have a local guy that builds AR's out of a small shop in his back yard. After sitting with him and picking his brain and adding the input I've gotten from here, we were able to get one built for $1080. I didn't mind going $80 over budget since I got to hand pick the options I wanted and even got a few upgraded parts that I wasn't expecting. He already had some Palmetto lowers built with the Magpul MOE and CTR stock and cut me a super deal on one of those. We topped it off with an R GUNS upper with dust cover and forward assist, nickel boron BCG (UPGRADE!!), low profile gas block, Ranier select barrel, 13" VTAC handguard, Ranier XTC comp, BCM charging handle, and was even able to add some Magpul flip up sights! He's gonna let me put it all together under his "tutelage" so I can get used to what parts go where and how they work together. If anyone sees any parts listed above that they've had issues with, please point 'em out and I can swap them for something else. Thanks again for all the help! Can't wait to pull the happy lever on it!

Thanks again for all the input, guys! We have a local guy that builds AR's out of a small shop in his back yard. After sitting with him and picking his brain and adding the input I've gotten from here, we were able to get one built for $1080. I didn't mind going $80 over budget since I got to hand pick the options I wanted and even got a few upgraded parts that I wasn't expecting. He already had some Palmetto lowers built with the Magpul MOE and CTR stock and cut me a super deal on one of those. We topped it off with an R GUNS upper with dust cover and forward assist, nickel boron BCG (UPGRADE!!), low profile gas block, Ranier select barrel, 13" VTAC handguard, Ranier XTC comp, BCM charging handle, and was even able to add some Magpul flip up sights! He's gonna let me put it all together under his "tutelage" so I can get used to what parts go where and how they work together. If anyone sees any parts listed above that they've had issues with, please point 'em out and I can swap them for something else. Thanks again for all the help! Can't wait to pull the happy lever on it!

You done good! Your going to have a great time and learn how the rifle works. Well done.

Tar

I have been thinking about doing the same thing but have a bushmaster lower I bought about 15 years ago that has a DPMS NM upper. Is the old Bushmaster lower good to build on or should I consider a newer lower?

Edited by XDman

Here is a decent choice for an upper: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/138383/dpms-upper-receiver-stripped-ar-15-low-profile-flat-top-matte

I don't think dust covers are over-rated, but FAs are IMHO. If you go this route and shoot in dust locales, keep the gun bagged. This saves you about $40...if my math is right, you will be just at $1000 with all the parts I suggested.

I went with my gut and built around that upper, it feels good to have a pro confirm my choice. I absolutely love it, the extra thickness makes it feel very solid and I've never had a problem with extraction/ejection/ I will point out that it's not cut for ramps, something I didn't realize when I put a MK12 on it.

I've had a couple of occasions where if I drop the bolt from less-than-full retraction it won't strip a shell completely, still working that out. The bullet makes it into the barrel extension so I don't think it's a ramp problem, maybe just a new gun problem that will break in.

The setup runs MOA to 200 so far with bulk Federal 5.56, I spent money on a Giselle trigger and not much else. Stag lower, plain FF tube guard, rifle gas, JP adjustable block, generic 6-pos stock, boron BCG. I think it was $800 when everything was said and done.

Edited by Matt Griffin

If your bushmaster is a post 1994 lower, then I would build in that. If it is a Pre 1994 lower, I would sell it to someone in a ban state and buy a new lower of your choosing as the pre 1994 lowers sell for a pretty good premium in states that still have a ban in place as it allows them to build one with all the evil features. Lowers now can be had for under 100 easily

Finally got around to getting this new toy to the range and man what a blast! Kinda cool building it piece by piece and it actually worked the first time!! Thanks for all the input on here, fellas. Now off to find a tactical shotgun to finish out the trio.....!

Nice, I like it! . I'm on my way to Florida, I'll PM you when I arrive. That's a great way to learn a weapon and get the weapon you want. This forum is fantastic. I can't wait to go do some 3 gun. Almost there. I need to build an ar.

I would get a $80 complete blem upper from BCM. Excellent reputation and you get a FA And dust cover.

You can get a $190 barrel from AR performance. Melonited CMV, 1-8 twist, .223 Wylde chamber

Look at the PWS FSC556 for both an excellent muzzle brake AND flash hider.

Free float hand guards are the way to go. The AR performance barrel has a dimple, so you can put your own set screw gas block on it and have it aligned right.

PSA has great lowers and lower parts kits at the best price around

I would go with a BCM BCG for reliability and durability sake.