Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Club match: can i request a different RO

ProGunGuy

No rule against it, but no rule says the request has to be granted either. At a club level if a shooter did not want me to run him I would just hand the clock to someone else and shrug. At a more structured match with assigned RO's may not be the same flexibility and the reasoning would require a higher threshold to justify shuffling staff.

Jim

Yes you can

At a recent level 1 RO class, this was brought up, and the answer was find another RO.

Don't take it personally as an attack on you, and don't turn it into a pissing match.

He may or may not have a valid reason, but accommodate him as best you can.

If there wasn't another RO close by, I would call for 1, have the shooter stand down, and go to the

Next shooter in line. When the RO gets there, put the shooter back in the line up, and finish the match.

Or you can turn it to a 10 minute pissing match, where everyone gets upset, nothing gets done, and

Ruins the match for everyone involved.

IF you have a good reason, then sure. But, what reason do you have that makes the RO OK for others but not for you? This is the kind of thing that big arguments come from. If there is an RO you don't like, perhaps you should to ask to not to be squadded with them.

IF you have a good reason, then sure. But, what reason do you have that makes the RO OK for others but not for you? This is the kind of thing that big arguments come from. If there is an RO you don't like, perhaps you should to ask to not to be squadded with them.

Sometimes you don't have a choice. lets say you get there earlier and you sign up first. they sign up later. So the right thing would be for me to move?

Chances are the RO knows there is some bad blood between you two.

The honorable thing for that RO to do then is to recuse himself so the shooter isn't put in the position to have to ask for a different RO.

I had a guy who would RO me from time to time. He got his digs in by trying to short beep me all the time. After the third time, I just stood there like I hadn't heard the beep.

There are just some people that i prefer not to shoot with or RO me.

...And my point has been proven. Game, Set, Match.

So asking for someone you're comfortable with to closely observe you running around with a gun shooting at stuff is childish? Game, Set, Match, BS.

I have done it several times at a local match to the same RO. The reason is because he does not know the proper range commands even though he just completed the RO class a couple of months ago. I have told him to leaarn them and if he can't remember them to write them on an index card and read them off of it. He is also one of the ones that aske if you understand the ccourse of fire.

I want to hear the same thing at a local match that I would hear at a Level 2 or 3 match and no more than that. Practice like you compete and compete like you practice.

It was protocol a while back to ask if the shooter understood the course of fire and even now, I appreciate a courteous RO asking. It's a local match - it will be run by volunteers who are either learning or trying their best to learn. Relax.

Mark

Sometimes you don't have a choice. lets say you get there earlier and you sign up first. they sign up later. So the right thing would be for me to move?

I don't want to sound pedantic but I repeat, what is there about the RO that makes them unsuitable to RO you? If you have a problem with an RO not doing their job, or not being impartial, or anything like that then you should speak with the RM or MD and let them know what your concerns are. It may be that others also have a problem but just have not said anything.

I'll fully admit that there are some RO's I like and some I don't but that's just the way it is. If I have a real problem with an RO, I'll mention it. Otherwise I just shut up and eat my vegetables.

At my match there are so many RO's on a squad that it would be easy to fix.

HOWEVER, if I am reading you right you just don't want to be around a certain person, ROing or shooting. I would just scratch my name off the sheet and move to another squad. OR, just because you have signed up does not mean you have to jump on a squad first thing. Let him show up and get squadded, then go sign up on a different squad. In all honesty, there are shooters I don't like to squad with at all. I don't like drama during my recreational activities so I tend to avoid those that cause it. I just jump on another squad. No big deal.

I don't want to sound pedantic but I repeat, what is there about the RO that makes them unsuitable to RO you? If you have a problem with an RO not doing their job, or not being impartial, or anything like that then you should speak with the RM or MD and let them know what your concerns are. It may be that others also have a problem but just have not said anything.

I'll fully admit that there are some RO's I like and some I don't but that's just the way it is. If I have a real problem with an RO, I'll mention it. Otherwise I just shut up and eat my vegetables.

On the flip side, why make an issue of it? If the shooter wants a different RO to run them, give the timer to someone else. Like someone said, pick your battles.

I took the level 1 class a few months ago with Ray Hirst. He had an assistant run us through different scenarios. My first scenario was the shooter wanted a different RO. We were taught that if they wanted a different RO, then try to accomadate them. Nothing was said about why or asking them why. Doing so may cause more issues. You can ask for a different RO and hopefully the respond gracefully and accomadate you.

That being said, I would only ask for one if I thought the RO with the timer would somehow jeopardize my time, score, or safety. A lot of times at a level 1 match, you may get an RO who does not have a great grasp of range commands. There was even a RO at a recent level 2 match that wasn't great. Oh well

Quite a few people at whine and complain about RO's might do well to step up and take the course and become one.

I have never personally witnessed a competitor requesting a change in officiating. I am sure it happens though.

The ONLY cogent argument to request an RO change is one of Competence.

Check your personal feelings at the door when you step up to shoot. RO's are REQUIRED to.

I always ask for a new RO when my wife has the timer. :)

I know a couple who seriously do this. Years back the husband was being RO'd by his wife, and a bullet bounced off steel and hit her. They get to the hospital and he has to explain that "I shot my wife". Hilarity ensued, as you can imagine. Now neither will hold the clock while the other is shooting.

Quite a few people at whine and complain about RO's might do well to step up and take the course and become one.

I have never personally witnessed a competitor requesting a change in officiating. I am sure it happens though.

The ONLY cogent argument to request an RO change is one of Competence.

Check your personal feelings at the door when you step up to shoot. RO's are REQUIRED to.

There isn't a requirement for RO's to be certified at a Level I match.

I guess you missed my earlier post where this dude would always short beep me.

"Pick your battles".

Really?

A battle? You think that's a battle?

:rolleyes:

Shooters seemed to be awefully thin skinned lately.

If you think this guy isn't going to give you a fair shake, the simplest option is just avoid him entirely ... Go to a different squad.

Whether you are at a local match or at a bigger match (level II/III), as the competitor it is your option to do so. If you are having an issue with an individual who is the RO, just ask. If they don't politely excuse themselves, then take it to the RM or MD. There are a couple of folks that I will not allow to run me and I have had to have the RM come and excuse them since they didn't accept my request. I asked them privately and politely and when they didn't accept, they got what they deserved when the RM who knows about the issue came and took the brick from them in order to run my group in front of everyone else. Ever since then, the individual has been very cordial about not running my group. In all fairness, if I was running the brick/stage and this person came to the stage as a competitor, I wouldn't run him so there would be no double standard. As a competitor, you paid your $$ to compete so if this is a big deal, then use your right to make this request.

Just don't get in the habit of finding issues with too many RO's as they are volenteers and not getting paid to do this. Keep that in mind.

Best of luck to you in your shooting endeavors...............

Roy

Am I doin' it wrong? I haven't been able to find a single significant issue with any RO or other shooter yet that would make me consider such a request. Are these people just disregarding the rules? or is it personal, like the creepy older guy that was hitting on your 15 yr old daughter?

What kind of issues are there that would warrant someone requesting a different RO (vague examples are fine)?

I've seen it go both ways when requesting a different RO. In one case, I called a stop on what I thought was a 180 break. (On further review, I was tricked by an optical illusion because of the way the walls were setup relative to the berm.) So it was obviously a reshoot. The competitor asked for a different RO for his second run, and I don't blame him at all making such a request. In another case, I had just DQ'd a competitor's wife for an AD. I offered him a chance to request another RO, but he said he'd rather have me.