Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flex is totally correct. You can't hire someone to move your 800 lb. block of steel, you must master the block of steel.

This is a test of strength, ingenuity, and resourcefullness. In a word, manliness.

You've got your crew already. In the tradition of Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett, YeahYeah has already volunteered. And he's also thrown down the gauntlet to his bud, Jesse. YY, you da man!

Yes, I'm aware that volunteerism got both Crocket and Bowie killed a the Alamo. But, that is why they remain heros (to some of us) to this day.

Erik, if you survive, you must come back to relate the tale around this "electronic campfire" to embolden the next generation of warriors, as George has done. If your efforts fail and the safe claims your life, YY or Jesse will return to speak the deeds of your heroism. And I will cerimoniously decorate the walls of my gun room with crude charcoal sketches of the safe smashing your guts out. :lol: Yes, you may die! But your legend will live!

Now, Cowboy Up, Dammit! The sun's risin' and you're burnin' daylight!

Where are we goin'?

I don't know!

When will we get there?

I ain't certain!

All that I know is,

I am on my way!

Reading a post like this truely warms the heart.

If, in fact, you pay the ultimate price while battling the safe monster/monster safe, ballads will be sung wherever BEers gather for generations to follow. :lol:B)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erik,

I'm firmly in the camp of "get someone else to do it"! I moved mine from upstairs to down stairs and all it took was a land rover, a furniture dolly and a gaggle of Aikido students.

Since my contribution to that process mainly involved watching and laughter, I'd happily offer the same contribution to your move ;). I'll even offer to take pictures of particularly difficult moments and post them to the forum B) (Actually, this is all assuming you don't want to do it before 2010 which is the next time I think I have a free moment)

Isn't it amazing the way a community responds to a need ... :ph34r:

Kevin

Rhino, I wasn't going to drop the G-man bomb! Really, it never entered my mind. ;) (Hey don't forget, I like to bake bread and drink chi, so I'm somewhat vulnerable on the issue.)

Siggy, "do the safe thing". Ah, you are the Mistress of the double-entendre! I love it! :lol::lol:

Merlin, I'm glad we share the same warped sense of humor. B)

My truck has got no hydraulic lift.  And it has a tall bed. 

First of all, you drive a Toyota and it ain't that tall. :D

That being said, here's three options:

1 - Rent a U-haul motorcycle trailer for like $20-30 and put it on there.

2 - Rent a U-haul truck and put it, along with your other stuff in there as part of the move.

3 - Pay someone to move it (it is tax deductible after all).

Rich

You should have seen me move it in to my garage. The guy had it on the dolly and it came down from the truck's lift gate to level ground. After that, it was just the two of us to control it 25 feet down one of the steeper hills in San Francisco (think Bullit) and make a sharp turn in through the garage door. The first 10 feet were no problem, but then physics took over. You know, gravity, momentum, and all that. An object in motion tends to stay in motion, until it reaches terminal velocity down Dolores street and totals a parked Honda Civic. Man, I don't know how we made the turn but we did.

For those not entirely familiar with the local topography and infrastructure in San Francisco, some of the sidewalks on the steeper hills have STAIRS rather than flat pavement. And don't EVEN ask about parking a car on one of these streets... or having to come to a stop (stoplight) at the top of one of 'em. I STILL--I mean STILL!!--have nightmares about being in a car on these streets. It scared the living HELL out of me as a kid. I mean, like, TERRIFIED!! :o:o

I can't imagine moving anything larger than a toy poodle on one of these streets!

I lived in the Bay Area from 1987 to 1991. I do not miss the hills at all!

In fact, the only thing I miss are my family members who live there.

I didn't have any guns back then (or interest), so I didn't have to worry about moving safes!

Flex is totally correct. You can't hire someone to move your 800 lb. block of steel, you must master the block of steel.

This is a test of strength, ingenuity, and resourcefullness. In a word, manliness.

You've got your crew already. In the tradition of Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett, YeahYeah has already volunteered. And he's also thrown down the gauntlet to his bud, Jesse. YY, you da man!

Yes, I'm aware that volunteerism got both Crocket and Bowie killed a the Alamo. But, that is why they remain heros (to some of us) to this day.

Erik, if you survive, you must come back to relate the tale around this "electronic campfire" to embolden the next generation of warriors, as George has done. If your efforts fail and the safe claims your life, YY or Jesse will return to speak the deeds of your heroism. And I will cerimoniously decorate the walls of my gun room with crude charcoal sketches of the safe smashing your guts out. :lol: Yes, you may die! But your legend will live!

Now, Cowboy Up, Dammit! The sun's risin' and you're burnin' daylight!

Where are we goin'?

I don't know!

When will we get there?

I ain't certain!

All that I know is,

I am on my way!

I really liked all the cowboy references. I really, really liked the song from Paint Your Wagon, Partner! :lol:

Two weeks ago with the help of two wide bodied friends moved my new 850 lb safe up a flight of stairs to my new reload room.

I would never try it again.

With all care possible and even with the door off we couldn't help dinging the moldings and such which required repair. 50 more pounds and I swear we would not have made it. The gun safe made it up without any damage but that was luck. The dealer has an install and delivery charge of $250 with a no damage guarantee and that is what I would do next time for sure.

1st floor and I would do it myself.

• 4 weeks later...
but then physics took over. You know, gravity, momentum, and all that. An object in motion tends to stay in motion

I'm more familiar with the other part of that ...

An object on the couch tends to stay on the couch, especially if there is something more productive to do and there is something stupid on the television to watch.

Ho... lee... shjt... Local safe movers want around $400 just to load it into my truck. A Reno safe mover has a $125 minimum to unload it.

Two movers recommended doing it myself, with one helper. They insisted it was easy to tip over to the pickup bed then lift and slide it in.

I recently bought a new house. I hired a moving company and they made short work of the safe with a refrigerator dolly.

It's not worth the chance of damaging the safe or your own back! Just pay someone to move it. Put some $ back into the economy.

Erik,

Go down to a well-equipped rental yard and explain to them what you’re trying do. This maybe a huge job from your point of few, but they have the equipment you need and you can rent it by the hour, half day or whole day. Everyday people move things that are heavier, larger and more valuable than your safe.

I just bought a safe and needed to get it from the store to my house and then into a place in the house that was farthest from the door. One trip to the rental yard, a few minutes explaining my problem and I left with the tools I needed. It went pretty smoothly.

Ed