Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about getting a revolver for IDPA

Don Springer

Use 686, better choice series 5 or 6, in this condition you can find easy an extended firing pin (new style) and install

a good rear competitive sight and a front sight..

In the series 1-2-3-4 you don't replace the sights in easy and cheap way.

The open latch new style is much more reliable for speed reload, I notice there is some series 4 with the old open latch style and some with the new. (first round butt gripp, but again with grooves on the backstrap).

probabily when S&W made the series 4 definitely finish the stock of old open latch.

At the end, if i remember the extractore star new style (asimmetric) is from series 4 to actually.

Series 1-2-3 old style extractor star with the 2 hole of alignment is a difficult replace part to find.

For me the best choice is find a series 5 in good condition.

You can trick one out as much as you want but with the number of folks that shoot SSR at most matches all you have to do to win your class is to not get DQ'ed.

This^ At my last Sanctioned Match I finished dead last. They also called my name and I went up and accepted the first place trophy. http://www.idpa.com/matchresults/2012/2012-10-06-Gold_Reg.pdf I was the only ESR Sharpshooter at the last event. I suspect this may be common across the country.

Last month I was 1 of 5 shooting revolver out of 40 total shooters. I might also add that around here the auto beat out revolver as daily carry firearms about the same percentage.

Edited by Ty Hamby

This is turning into a different conversation, so to contribute to the original conversation I'll echo the sentiments for K or L frames.

"You can trick one out as much as you want but with the number of folks that shoot SSR at most matches all you have to do to win your class is to not get DQ'ed."

Is the point to be the best shooter possible or to win plaques?

You have the S&W 66, 14, 19 in K-Frames, and all available with 4" barrels.

586,686 in L-Frames. These are available in 4" plus the 686 is now available sporting a 4.2" barrel.

You also have the Ruger's - old models are the Security Six and the Speed Six with 4" barrels, but are not popular. But now you can get a 4.2" GP100 that's become very popular. This was out of the gate before S&W's 4.2". These guns were made for Canada and States the have a length law.

Pick a revolver that feels good in the hand and during transitions.

Merlin said it right - have fun.

I tell people, when I shoot revolver, that I'm having more fun than they are with their bottom feeders.

Uh-huh.

Had a 625 given the full treatment by Denny Reichard. Shot two ICORE matches and one USPSA match with it. It sat in the safe for 2 years after that. I finally sold it and put the money towards a Cameron limited gun....

Kinda like my 2nd and 3rd marriages....it sounded like a good idea at the time. :sight:

Uh-huh.

Had a 625 given the full treatment by Denny Reichard. Shot two ICORE matches and one USPSA match with it. It sat in the safe for 2 years after that. I finally sold it and put the money towards a Cameron limited gun....

Kinda like my 2nd and 3rd marriages....it sounded like a good idea at the time. :sight:

Back under the bridge...bottom feeding troll....:devil::D

Total Shooters by Division and Class for the 2012 IDPA Nationals

Total DM MA EX SS MM

CDP 70 3 11 22 26 8

ESP 130 3 23 35 40 29

SSP 114 1 28 34 34 17

ESR 13 1 1 2 8 1

SSR 17 1 4 6 4 2

Total 344 9 67 99 112 57

The USPSA national's revolver participation is comparable. Best you can hope for is 17 in your division. But who cares it's not about the competition is it?

I have some K-frames that work well for SSR - a 4" M19, and a 4" M64 (NYPD model with factory bobbed hammer), also a 625 for ESR. The cool thing about the 625, running with moonclipped 45ACP is...I never lose my brass at matches, or have a tough time picking brass up, and I don't have to spend time fiddling around loading speedloaders at the match. And as a bonus, it's more fun to knock steel down with a 230g 45 bullet!

Uh-huh.

And I'm glad you did! That gun has picked up 3 IDPA major DCs and 1 major class win this year. I've put about 9k through it an who knows how much dryfire since January. Fantastic revolver.

Just in case anyone was wondering- no, I was not the only guy in ESR- LOL!

I've seen an increase in revo shooters as of late both at clubs and majors. This is a good thing.

OP- hope you get one soon, let us know!