Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taping Rear Sights

Storz

Had a set of TFO sighs installed on my Glock last week. While waiting for the gunsmith to do his thing I was talking with one of the other employees that shoots competition with a Glock/TFO sight set up, he mentioned that during competition he puts electrical tape over the fiber optic ends of the rear sights. Anyone do this, or heard of this? Said its so that your eye is drawn to the front sight quicker...

Thoughts?

Thanks for the info, wish I had done a little research before dropping a hundred bucks on these and purchased the Warren sights instead. Does anyone make a black insert for the rear? Care to post pics of your sight blackout 'a matt'?

Thats why their is blue fiber optic, It does not light up, so its good way to blacken the sight cleanly.

Quick addition-- not all FO rods are created equal. I've got a coil of blue that kinda sparkles when new (looks purple), but does indeed cease to glow rather quickly when it gets dirty.

Is it possible to change the FO on the TFO sights? Any recommendations for a rear sight that will work with the TFO front sight?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Storz

Is it possible to change the FO on the TFO sights? Any recommendations for a rear sight that will work with the TFO front sight?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Those rods are glued in and coupled with a small tritium vial. IOW, no-- you can't change them.

A lot of people actually have trouble keeping those rods in place, as solvents and (allegedly) plain ol' heat will soften the glue and have them moving around. Coupled with a pretty flimsy design for the front blade's FO housing and very few people running their pistols hard will use them-- most (like me) after having broken a set themselves.

The front bead/blade is pretty fat IIRC, so you may have some issue finding a plain black rear that will work. Look up the dimensions of the front and see if it matches any other sets-- the Hack rears from Ameriglo, the plain blacks from Trijicon, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only replaced the FO in the front and the rear FOs are now dim and very inefficient at catching light. I may go further and blacken them with a sharpie.

Since I focus on the target (another debate) the front FO still shows up of course out of focus, but still a dot I can see between two blurry rear sights.

So not only are the rear FOs not necessary, they are indeed a distraction, but not as much as those stupid lasers (I blame Hollywood).

Edited by NicVerAZ

• 2 weeks later...

I have only replaced the FO in the front and the rear FOs are now dim and very inefficient at catching light. I may go further and blacken them with a sharpie.

Since I focus on the target (another debate) the front FO still shows up of course out of focus, but still a dot I can see between two blurry rear sights.

So not only are the rear FOs not necessary, they are indeed a distraction, but not as much as those stupid lasers (I blame Hollywood).

They really interfere with my point shooting.

As you said they are feedback devices but I think also they are current information devices. Feedback for me is in the past but there is some current information there too. I relate that to a shot setup approaching positions and seeing what I need to see to make the shot.

I know somebody is gonna say that's all feedback but I'm trying to separate two parts of technique. Eventually they all come together though.

What do sights do? They cover half the target. At least that was my first impression, when I started shooting.

Edited by toothguy