Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Phone Cameras any good?

Our phone plan is near the end and we can get a new phone for me or my wife. I have been looking at getting a small camera so I can take some better pictures. If I go with an IPhone will it take good pics?

I'm not sure I want an Iphone since I am too addicted to this place. I'd never get anything done I'm afraid.cheers.gif

Edited by Sarge

Kevin, check out my youtube channel. ALL of those videos were shot with an iPhone 4. As far as pics....action shots, not so much, but if its a good still shot opportunity, then yes. I have gotten some great pics once my kids decided to stand still long enough.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Noximus03/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Edited by Noximus03

Thanks guys. I am more concerned with being able to take some sharp clear pictures like the ones I have been trying to take for my 650 thread. My little kodak playsport video camera is fine for my shooting videos but it has a 5 mpx camera as well and I can't get a clear picture to come out unless I am like 5 feet away. I guess I need like a macro setting? IPhone handle that?

Pictures taken on the iP5 suffer from the purple haze effect, which was not present on the iP4/4s.

Apples response so far has been to say YOU are holding the phone wrong when taking pictures.

Gizmo Review

Much more information on the web about this.

Cheers ....

Edited by Kevin Pledger

I love my iPhone 5. 8 megapixel camera with HDR option and a REALLY cool panoramic mode. Purple haze is a sunlight angle issue that I have yet to see in any of my pics, but if it exists Apple will fix it in a software update. Besides the camera, which I use every day for business, the best thing about this phone is the SPEED. I don't even use the wifi, it's faster on the LTE than my high speed wireless at home. I like fast guns, fast bikes, and fast phones!!!! You won't be disappointed.

Pictures taken on the iP5 suffer from the purple haze effect, which was not present on the iP4/4s.

Actually I've seen pictures on macrumors.com (or maybe cnet) from the iphone 4s that exhibited the same issue. Apple's right: don't point it at the sun.

I have both a iphone 4s and a droid razr maxx, by far the iphone camera and video is better then the razr. My daughter has the samsung s3, & it is on par with the razr..so iphone gets the nod from me.

iPhones are great cameras. You can upload instantly so that when you are covering, say, downtown Tripoli, your pictures of the guy smashing you with a nightstick will be uploaded and it doesn't matter if the camera is smashed. Seriously, good cameras. You need an Apple computer to take best advantage, but if you still are using a PC, you can still work with it. Go for it. I have like 2 4's, 2 4S's, and a 5. I don't know what that purple flare is, but any camera will do that. Little bit of learning curve, but not much. Most of the videos I make now are iPhone. Check Taran's web site-half the videos, at least, are done with iPhone. Also get Instagram app. It explains itself. Apps are really cheap. iSnipe is a killer ballistics program, better and more versatile than ATRAG. It will incorporate local weather and atmospheric data, too. So you don't need a Kestrel. iPhones have a compass, and when you add Tactical NAV app. It's unbelievable. Go for it. Get the 5.

• 2 months later...

I'm a retired photographer with tons of Nikon equipment. I switched over to digital about 8 years ago. My Nikon rarely comes out now that I have the iPhone. It does lack the zoom capability but with the High pixel count you can zoom digitally. The videos are awesome as well. Still can't figure out how you can get that quality out of such a tiny lens.

Camera on the iPhone is good, photo editing apps for the iPhone are top notch. cameras on the Samsung phones are better than the iPhones, but the photo editing apps aren't as good. At the same time, my Samsung phone takes such great pics that I never use the editing software for anything other than cropping a pic.

Not sure about the "Samsung Cameras are better" but, I will admit that both our iPhone 4s, and my wifes iPhone 5 take excellent photos. I have used mine on vacations taking photos in Cabo, and at car shows, and for just those around the house shots.

Here is a good review of the 4 main smart phones:

Camera Comparison

After the smoke has cleared and the dust settled, we have a unanimous winner amongst the group. Before this comparison, it was arguable as to which of the four devices would have the upper hand when it comes to taking photos, but as we’ve seen, Apple’s latest prodigy in the iPhone 5 has proven to us that it’s unmistakably the most well-rounded when it comes to shooting photos and videos. When it’s able to adapt to various shooting conditions, and still able to deliver shots filled with plenty of attractive elements, there’s no arguing that this is the device you’ll want to nab if you’re all about quality.

Looking at the two Android smartphones in our comparison, it’s safe to say that we’re also humbled by their results – though, they don’t have the same level of precision found on the iPhone 5. Nonetheless, we appreciate them for their extensive shooting modes and manual controls, which gives us the required control to snap the best shots according to the situation. At this point, it’s become obvious that the Nokia Lumia 900 has exceeded its time in the spotlight, seeing that it has been out performed by its highly esteemed rivals.

The Camera on my previous phone (a Samsung Galaxy S Android) was nowhere near as good as the iPhone's camera. I just wish the iPhone had a few more options like the Android camera did, but it's a much better, high-resolution camera. I'm downloading Action Shot, as mentioned above, as I type this.

After downloading Action Shot, I was disappointed to find that it was really only meant to combine a series of shots into one shot (like a skateboarder jumping off a ramp - you see the ramp, and the skate boarder just before he jumps, as he's jumping, and as he's landing all the in the same frame). It's a neat trick, but not really goot for shooting (but maybe for movement in a USPSA course?)

So after searching a bit, I found this page, which talks about iPhone apps for rapid picture taking, as well as frame grabbing out of videos. I have not used all these apps, but I'm going to download a few. If you download some, leave us your impressions of them here.

http://giveawaytuesdays.wonderhowto.com/inspiration/10-iphone-and-android-apps-for-capturing-action-shots-0129843/