Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guess The Score for Rhino

rhino

Rhino,

Go for broke, big boy! Get your Master card!

I would say "let it all hang out", but quite frankly it brings back bad memories of the knot on the back of my head last year about this time. :lol::lol:

Liota

I think you will shoot EX untill the dreaded long stage and will drop just enough to stay in SS!! I will still admire you though and I KNOW you will look extremly tactical thru the whole match.

Okay ... I'm home.

First, the semi-good news. My raw time was 106.87 seconds, which included a rather lengthy "delay" when I dropped a partially loaded magazine on the ground on the first stage I shot (#3). It seems inevitable that my first reload in any IDPA match will be the speed reload, and in reality I don't think I really want to change that programming.

The problem was, instead of just eating the five point procedural error (2.5 seconds), I stood there just looking at the magazine on the ground once I realized I'd done it. It was very difficult for me to believe that I'd done it "again," and yet there was the evidence. Then, instead of just going on, I lingered to decide whether or not I should continue, or bend over and get it. I finally decided to grab it and stow it in my pocket, so that little dance around Robin Hood's barn went from a manageable 2.5 second penalty into at least a five to seven second debacle of indecision.

On Stages 1 and 2, I actually shot pretty well. As Kent predicted, I was comfortably on Expert pace, and probably Master on a couple of strings. The only boo-boos were on my last head shot on Stage 1, String 3. My subconscious mind knew it was my last shot, so instead of following through and getting a good hit like I'd done during the previous IDENTICAL strings, I looked over the sights for the pretty hole in the target. The result was the shot hitting about an eighth of an inch below the perforation ... a miss and 2.5 seconds added to my score.

I did well on the strong hand and weak hand stuff, but I got a little squirrelly with some of my hits on the IDPA El Prez string on Stage 2. So I lost maybe a second or two in penalties there that were not necessary.

The hole in the road hit me on Stage 3, though (which I shot first). The reloading error detailed above started a growing snowball of marksmanship errors. I had at least four complete misses at only 20 yards! At the end of the stage, I was down nine on one target (bad), down 13 on target two (worse), and down TWENTY-FOUR on the last target (shameful).

So ... a relatively decent raw time of 106.87 seconds was brought to its virtual knees by 33.5 seconds of penalties due to misses and poorly executed shots. Total score was 140.37 seconds, which barely fell into the Sharpshooter class (where I already was).

Now, the bright side:

Having shot very well on stages 1 and 2, I know I can make Expert. I KNOW it. My skills are at that level, I just have to minimize the bigger mistakes I tend to make. I also need to do a better of job of not allowing one error to create an avalanche of more errors in its wake.

If I can do those things and just get all the hits on the paper on Stage 3, I'll make Expert in CDP next time. Master is going to take a lot more work, but it's definitely possible. I expect to cross that line about the same time I hit B class in USPSA Limited-10.

Whew! :rolleyes:

SHow em Rhino, don't forget you have the genes to shoot fast.

The genes must be recessive or something! :lol:

Either that, or I've just not yet learned to tap my font of natural shooting ability yet. It could happen! ;)

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement! I appreciate it and it helps.

The next big contest is to guess what I did last week. BigDave is disqualified from guessing because he already knows, but I did something out of character for me, that demonstrates intent to do something even more out of character (both are legal and positive, so don't worry).

You put one toe into Illinois?

To get back to the classifier --- lots of long range practice, preferably around the side of a barricade. Shoot the long strings from Bianchi, set up three targets just like the classifier, if you can and shoot those at thirtyfive yards. And next time you're in the start box behind the barricade --- visualize the strings before you indicate ready ---- and visualize the reload in detail.....

You can do this easily!

You perhaps tore another door off a minivan...?... :P

Cold! Very Cold! Keep guessing!

Hint: it is shooting related

You put one toe into Illinois?

No! I'm still alive to tell about it, so that can't be it! Guess again!

To get back to the classifier --- lots of long range practice, preferably around the side of a barricade. Shoot the long strings from Bianchi, set up three targets just like the classifier, if you can and shoot those at thirtyfive yards. And next time you're in the start box behind the barricade --- visualize the strings before you indicate ready ---- and visualize the reload in detail.....

You're absolutely right, of course. Curiously, almost 100% of my practice recently has been for NRA Action Pistol. Even more curious, the Barricade is my best event!

I know the big problem was that I allowed myself to get flustered after blowing that reload. I am pretty sure that all of my misses were from the left side of the barricade.

Another potentially confounding factor is that I was not able to stand the same way as I do for NRA AP. Since you have to be behind cover, I had to do more of a "roll out" in order to stay within the rules. It shouldn't make that much difference if I pay close attention to sight picture, sight alignment, trigger control, and follow through, but it can't help any. I know I caught myself canting the gun on the left side (a bad habit I am trying to break) on a couple of targets, and that probably accounted for some bad hits as well.

I know that we all obsess over our ranking weather it be IDPA or USPSA and Im guilty more for the USPSA since Im newer to it.

If I had my way the rankings would be more like,

Dirty Harry

Damn good

Average

Having fun

Must be new

I just know that Joseph looks like a fleshed out Mel Gibson and Im pretty sure that I resemble a slightly heavier Bruce Willis.

At the end of the stage, I was down nine on one target (bad), down 13 on target two (worse), and down TWENTY-FOUR on the last target (shameful).

9+13+24= 46 down

46/2 = 23 seconds of "aiming time"

This is why they call Stage 3 alone "the classifier".

I would break Stage 3 down into the following tests:

From standing at 20 yards with no barricade can you shoot 6 rounds into the A-zone slow fire?

From kneeling at 15 yards with no barrel can you shoot 6 rounds into the A-zone slow fire?

If not then practice these base skills before moving on.

If so,

From standing at 20 yards with a barricade,

from the right side of the barricade can you shoot 6 rounds into the A-zone of each target slow fire one target at a time?

from the left side of the barricade can you shoot 6 rounds into the A-zone of each target slow fire one target at a time?

From kneeling at 15 yards with a barrel can you shoot 6 rounds into the A-zone of each target slow fire one target at a time?

Figure out which position and target combination is giving you trouble and work on it until making the hits is no longer a factor at some pace. Finding the pace that gets you the hits is what is important.

Find the technique and pace that allows you to score 10 points down or less for the entire stage (Stage 3). Then work on the draw, reloads, movement, and getting into kneeling to bring the raw time down while maintaining that same pace for the shooting.

As you said, you know you can do it!

I'm going to have to p-p-p-p-ractice!

Still no close guesses on what I did last week ... so there is another hint.

1. It's shooting related

2. I ordered something to be delivered to my home

So guess what it was ...

I'm going to have to p-p-p-p-ractice!

Still no close guesses on what I did last week ... so there is another hint.

1. It's shooting related

2. I ordered something to be delivered to my home

So guess what it was ...

Anderson's dry-fire book? A timer so you could actually practice if you wanted to? Four cases of targets and 40,000 pasters?

A poster size print of the pic of Ann Coulter with a rifle? :lol::lol:

Anderson's dry-fire book?

WE HAVE A WINNER!

It's not here yet, but I think I've already shown premeditation for dry fire practice. If I get caught doing it, I'm going down for the count.

A timer so you could actually practice if you wanted to?

Curious you should mention that. During our 3-Gun match today, we had one squad. Before the match was over, THREE TIMERS CRAPPED OUT. We were down to the last guy with a timer before the end, so I could have used a timer of my own as backup!

Four cases of targets and 40,000 pasters? 

I think I probably have that many (used) in the back of my truck, swiped from the trash can after matches.

A poster size print of the pic of Ann Coulter with a rifle?  :lol:  :lol:

Now you're talkin'! :wub::wub::wub:

reloading press??

more primers, powder, bullets.

Good guess, but not quite!