Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2004 Steel Challenge

shred

Day 2 is in the bag. Amongst the Super Squad, the Airsoft phenom Tatsuya Sakai held off Todd, Rob and the rest for Limited.. but with a score in the high 70's, there's still a chance somebody else could take it from him, including the up-and-coming Daniel Horner (seen sporting an STI team shirt and no CZ), who smoked all the other iron sight shooters in the .22 match.

Ong45 was in with the Supers, but said he was just getting warmed up for the real match tomorow. DougC and the Carmony clan were getting ready to shoot as I left the range.

Some pictures (slowly uploading now) and Preliminary side-match results (.22, .22 rifle & shotgun) are up on my site

http://www.shred2.net/~shred/gallery/SteelChallenge2004

Latest update.. at first everybody thought JJ had it won. Interviews on camera, the whole bit.. but as I left the range, there was a bunch of frantic recalculating going on. The top 3 are going to be JJ, KC and Tatsuya-- who knows what order. It'll be down to the wire, I suspect, with something near 65 winning it.

Pendulum was the bane of the SS again today. Only four of them shot close to 12 total. JoJo shot super consistent 2.75 to 2.80 times. Max, Todd and JJ also had good runs.

Ran into a couple more BE forumites today and ended up with an 88, which is about 5 seconds more than I was shooting for, but also about 5 seconds better than I shot last year.

I shot camera-video of the SS on Pendulum and some more pictures... they'll be uploading to the site starting now and continuing probably until tomorrow. Multi-MB AVIs and 19.2K connections don't mix well.

Amongst the Super Squad, the Airsoft phenom Tatsuya Sakai...

Uh... Isn't he Iron Chef French? :lol:

That would be great: Iron Chef - Steel Challenge.

Complete with voice-overs and color commentary. :P

... my next DVD project.

-Chet

Are times invalid to compare to previous matches due to the introduction of the new stage (and loss of the old stage?)?

Not directly, but the top guys came in about 2 seconds faster on Pendulum vs Flying-M. For 'ordinary' shooters, some did better, some worse. The big top-dog delta of efficient shot-calling-and-falling-out-of-the-box movement is gone, but replaced by the consistency needed to hit 10" plates at 18 yards. Seems like a larger disaster-factor for PD.

The best FM runs last year were around 13.2 and the best this year on PD was 11.2 or so.

Overall, my time is about 5 seconds better this year, but I'm still not very many places up the overalls from last year, so the competition is getting better too.

Off to the shootoffs..

Just got home. I love late flights :rolleyes: . My hat is off to Shred, It was awesome to watch him in the shootoffs, His shooting was solid, and it was fun to watch. Good job!

My .02$ on the match. Professionally run, fun friendly ROs, even the Gunny! Everyone had their stuff together and it ran smoothly. The range is the most impressive one I have seen in my travels to date, and getting to watch the Super Squads shoot is a bonus. Getting to see the best of your sport is always a good time.

Of course I was not happy with my shooting, but now I have a baseline to improve for next year. Flying with the guns was a breeze with TSA at LAX. Hell, even traffic on the 405 on Sunday afternoon was acceptable and stress free. If you are making plans to go next year fly out late Sunday night or Monday morning. We had to leave early in the prize distribution and we will do it different next year so we can stay. Congrats to Penny for winning the Briley custom shotgun in the drawing, it is important to be present to win! It was nice to meet and put faces to the names on the forum!

All in all, The only match that comes close to this was Second Chance. I will be back next year! DougC

Thanks Doug. Athena and I did beat Todd and Jerry in the second round of the shootoffs... once.. ;) It was fun anyway and we gave 'em a run for their money. The big congratulations go to Ong and JoJo for really kicking butt in the shootoffs.

Prizes went a little faster this year, but it still takes all afternoon to get 200 shooters through.

As usual, more pictures and even some that might be 'finals' (as always, these are unofficial until posted by the SC officials) are up on my site.

Shred...you never call, you never write, you never even introduce yourself!

Sakai is cool. I *love* that Airsoft-derived style of shooting, with the gun in his face.

And for the guy wishing someone had been running at DVD of the Super Squad, someone was!!! We have 20 HOURS OF HDTV VIDEO of the Super Squad from two cameras running constantly, including different POV shots, behind-the-line butt-slappng and chatter, all the blazing runs and exclusive on-the-scene interviews. And we *knew* what was actually going on...

I made an Executive Decision to expand our Steel Challenge coverage from one show to two shows this year (it should air end of January, but I'll keep you posted). We should have a longer HD version cut when The Outdoor Channel's all-HD network goes up in mid-2005, and and we WILL have DVDs of the match for sale, with profits from the sale going back to the Steel Challenge for prize money.

The Outdoor Channel is honestly and seriously committed to the shooting sports. Thanks heavens!

mb

One of the coolest things I ever saw happend at the prize table. They had a raffle for a Ruger Black Hawk 44 Mag. The winner was one of the shooter from Japan, I don't remember his name. Since he could not take it back, he donated it back to the match to the guy who finnished last! All of the Japaneese shooters were real friendly and great competitors.

Went to the office today and tried to work, but I'm still in full match mode! :)

What a great experience! Sam and I really had a great time at our first Steel Challenge, and it was particularly nice meeting all of you in person. Your earlier advice to us turned out to be both accurate and valuable. Also, thanks to DougC for putting up with us for 5 days straight--hard to believe Sam was only Parker's age when we made the drive to Second Chance back in '93, huh?

I'm still absorbing all the crazy things (crazy in a good way, of course) that I saw at the match. The airsoft dude from Japan winning not only Limited but also the whole dang thing (Sakai). The 16-year-old kid who had to settle for second (K.C.) and the 17-year-old kid who made the Sunday shootoff with an iron-sighted IDPA gun/rig (Horner). I'm somewhat used to seeing what ol' Jerry does with a revolver(to the extent that it's possible to get used to seeing that sort of thing, anyway), but I was also pretty impressed with the young guy who won the iron wheelgun class (Pettitt) and made the shootoff in the process. The list just goes on.

To Shred, Ong45, Dedmon, and whoever else might be tuned in here that made the front page of the match results--congratulations--you were a pleasure to watch in action.

As for us--I think I've figured out what Sam and I need to do to improve our standings at next year's match: (1) draw faster, and (2) shoot faster! :lol:

Mike Carmoney

Seemed to me that nobody on the SS was shooting very well, in limited or open. Sakai was the most consistent of the bunch.

Pendulum proved to be the undoing of a bunch of people, i think this stage along with outer limits, will have a heavy impact on the standings from now on.

I shot pretty well, and ended up 10th with a 75.15, not so good in limited though (91 and change) It all came together for me and JoJo in the shootoffs as a lot of the top guys, ( KC, Sakai,Todd and Jerry) were eliminated early.

I look forward to this match a lot and at the same time am REALLY relieved that it is over :D

Good seeing you again Shred.

MBaneACP,

When the DVD is ready those of us in the South, the real South, who don't get the Cable programs, would like a copy, post the info or you have my email, so we can buy a copy.

Make sure it has lots of shooting and too many talking heads. :P

It was a fun match. I finished about 9 seconds slower than what I thought I could do and finished at 104 seconds. Not great, but 10 seconds faster than last year, and more consistent than I've shot the match before, so I'll take that as progress. I had an adventure on Outer Limits since the cows decided to come down the mountains as I was about to shoot my second string. You never know what you're going to see out there!

Nice to meet DougC and some of the other forum members out there.

I'd like to say thank you to the whole match staff for all their hard work.

A special thank you to Briley Pistol Division for being a major sponsor of the match each year. I can't believe I won the raffle -- guess I'll be taking up 3-gun or Team Challenge now :D Thanks also to all the other sponsors who generously donate for this match

I'll have some pictures of Shred and Athena in the shootoff beating Jerry M & Todd J, along with Lena Miculek in her outstanding debut performance in the rimfire match -- will try to get them up Wed or Thurs.

Penny

Hey Penny--

I don't know if you noticed or not, but all three of the "non-present shooters" called before they finally pulled out your ticket were named "Mike."

So I managed to have THREE minor infarcts over a period of about 30 seconds! :o

Anyway, I'm happy for you--that's a very nice piece of loot.

Good shooting, by the way! :)