Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting Range for IPSC

jkushner1

It's going to make a huge difference whether we're talking about iron sights (close to the bore axis) or red dots (farther from the bore axis), as well as the caliber/muzzle velocity.

A .38 super with iron sights is going to have a pretty flat trajectory.

Assuming a flat bullet trajectory out to 50 metres(yards) then the difference for a close target will be the difference from the centre of the bore to the dot. With a C-More this can be quite substantial, sometimes close to two inches depending on the type of mount.

So when shooting close targets such as an upper A/B zone it would be necessary to put the dot at the top edge of the target.

If you are shooting a Docter scope (or Optima) then the problem is still present though not as severe; The dot on my Docter scope is about 5/8 of an inch from the centre of the bore. To all intents this means that the bullet goes practically point of aim from 0 - 40 metres (the scope is parallax free to 40 metres, so that it the distance I sight in at).

• 1 month later...

I'm happy if I've got the sights adjusted to a point where I can put a ten round group in the upper A zone at 100 yards.......

......eh, that should read ten yards. Bill was right --- we shoot so many partials or heads at ten yards these days that it seemed to make sense to zero here. I managed to keep all my rounds on paper at the 50 at recent Bianchi matches. I figure that as I improve, I'll take another look at sightin distance --- but for now this seems to work, as long as I do my part....

• 2 months later...

Wow, nice ballistics tool!

I just played with all my data - shooting production (minor) 124 gr FMJ, it appears the optimal for me is 43 yard zero, which is also a 7 yard zero. This setting projects to be within .5 inches out to 50 yard. More accurate than me.

My sights are .5 inches above the center of the bore.

Now, if I could just shot accurately enough to be sure this was reqally my zero setting, I'd be set :)