Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 foregrip suggestions - Troy / MI / etc

swhiteh3

I have an M&P-15 I'm starting to compete with a little. This is not going to be a long-term competition gun, but it's getting me started. It's primarily been a tactical gun up until now.

Even before I started to compete with it, I've wanted a longer fore grip, and now I want it even more. For background, the gun is currently set-up with a Magpul carbine length polymer front grip and a permanany iron front site post. I'll be cutting off the front site post, using it only as a gas block, and using a Magpul BUS for now. This gun is primarily used with optics. Yes, I know they have units that do not require me to modify the front site post, but I think they're ugly as sin.

So first option I considered was a 12" Mid-West Industries Gen II. Thanks to a friend I was able to try out a rifle with that on it, and overall, I liked it a lot, but I found the diameter to be just a tick too small for my hand, and the 12" grip was a tick too short. Also, I found the smooth surface felt a little slick in my hands.

So with that feedback, I was looking at the Troy TRX 13". I thought the slightly larger grip might help, the texture might help, and the extra 1" might help.

And does anyone know how the TRX is different from the VTAC Alpha unit?

Are there any other units I should consider?

Thanks!

I have an M&P-15 I'm starting to compete with a little. This is not going to be a long-term competition gun, but it's getting me started. It's primarily been a tactical gun up until now.

Even before I started to compete with it, I've wanted a longer fore grip, and now I want it even more. For background, the gun is currently set-up with a Magpul carbine length polymer front grip and a permanany iron front site post. I'll be cutting off the front site post, using it only as a gas block, and using a Magpul BUS for now. This gun is primarily used with optics. Yes, I know they have units that do not require me to modify the front site post, but I think they're ugly as sin.

So first option I considered was a 12" Mid-West Industries Gen II. Thanks to a friend I was able to try out a rifle with that on it, and overall, I liked it a lot, but I found the diameter to be just a tick too small for my hand, and the 12" grip was a tick too short. Also, I found the smooth surface felt a little slick in my hands.

So with that feedback, I was looking at the Troy TRX 13". I thought the slightly larger grip might help, the texture might help, and the extra 1" might help.

And does anyone know how the TRX is different from the VTAC Alpha unit?

Are there any other units I should consider?

Thanks!

p1142186852-4.jpg

Seekins Precision SP3R Rail.

I feel I have an "edge" using this forend. It has several flats that fit nicely on the many props we see on the 3 gun circuit.

I think Novseke has just announced something similar.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I like the Troy Alpha 15" handguards...I have two of them and can't say enough about function, feel, looks, etc...

I really want to try out the Seekins that Pat mentioned above but I'm just too in love with my Troy guards now. Once I get over my "man-crush" with them, I will probably get a Seekins...

I really like the Troy rails as well. I run a 15" Alpha rail. The difference between the Alpha and TRX is how they attach to the receiver. The TRX has a proprietary barrel nut and pinches it with two bottom screws clamping. The Alpha uses a standard barrel nut with three attachment points spread around the circumference.

I'd like to get my hands on a Seekins SP3R or Noveske's newest rail but I don't have a reason to make the change.

CM

Thanks for all the replies! Please keep them coming!

Clint-M, thanks for the differences between the TRX and Alpha. Which is the better choice then? What are the pros and cons associated with those two methods? Is one more easy to install / stable / expensive?

Once you try the Seekins Rail you'll wonder why you waited.

The Seekins SPR gives you options that "round" cannot.

The flats really help!

Bottom fits on top of the many tables and ports we see.

Can't or don't want to get that low to hit the sill of a port? Use the flat on the side to improve stability.

Oh,,,wait you have a port that you "wish" you could hold your forend against the top? No

problem you have a flat there too!

In my opinion for 3 Gun a round forend is a round forend is a round forend.

The Seekins SPR when installed virtually becomes a monolithic upper.

It puts your hand "on-center" with the bore.

"pic rails" can be put most any where.

OH>>> and how about this neat feature…the 1/2" holes you see in the photo? They are built in QR (quick release) points for your push button sling swivels. And they are the anti rotational too!

Yes…yes…yes, I am sponsored by Seekins but that does not change the fact the I did not think I wanted the SPR until I tried it!

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Thanks for all the replies! Please keep them coming!Clint-M, thanks for the differences between the TRX and Alpha. Which is the better choice then? What are the pros and cons associated with those two methods? Is one more easy to install / stable / expensive?

I prefer the Alpha because it uses a standard barrel nut and I don't believe Troy still makes the proprietary nut for the TRX so if you should sheer off the teeth somehow you won't be able to replace it...that I know of. I've held both and never felt that either was at risk for rotating once they are secured in place but the Alpha's attachment does seem to be a step up from the pinching method of the TRX. Same price but you have to buy your own barrel nut for the Alpha so I guess the Alpha is technically $8 more expensive? Both are very easy to install and remove. Comparable strength and rigidity but Troy says the Alpha is stronger.

Of course, this is all opinion and mine is less informed than most of these guys and while you don't seem to be considering the Seekins rail I will say that if I had a buyer for my Alpha I would replace it with a Seekins in a heartbeat. Not because I think it is an huge improvement, although a flat bottom is better, but I think they look badass and that's what's really important isn't it? :blush:

You don't have a discount code for Seekins do you, Pat?

CM

I ordered a Loki. The price was right but so far...not too pleased. I haven't received it yet and can't get 2 emails returned regarding status. Ordered on the 21st. Conformation of order on 22nd. As of yesterday...nothing. I ordered several other parts at the same time and some almost a week later and I've received all of those. I'm not ragging on them I just want an answer.

If this falls thru, the seekins sure looks like a good option.

Ive got AMI Gen 1 SS15 its very solid and Ive been very happy with it.

I also have a JP on my AR-10. Its top notch as well. I like JP's barrel nut set up better than the others Ive tried.

Mr. Kelly,

That is one sharp Tac Irons rifle!

For what it's worth, I've switched all of my AR's to the 12.5 JP handguard. It's textured so it doesn't move in my hand, round and smooth so it doesn't catch on props/barricades, and you can get little pieces of picatinny rail for the stuff you need to mount. On one of my AR's there is nothing at all on it and I have one that has a 2" section for my BUIS and a 3" section for my flashlight.

Once you try the Seekins Rail you'll wonder why you waited.

The Seekins SPR gives you options that "round" cannot.

The flats really help!

Bottom fits on top of the many tables and ports we see.

Can't or don't want to get that low to hit the sill of a port? Use the flat on the side to improve stability.

Oh,,,wait you have a port that you "wish" you could hold your forend against the top? No

problem you have a flat there too!

In my opinion for 3 Gun a round forend is a round forend is a round forend.

The Seekins SPR when installed virtually becomes a monolithic upper.

It puts your hand "on-center" with the bore.

"pic rails" can be put most any where.

OH>>> and how about this neat feature…the 1/2" holes you see in the photo? They are built in QR (quick release) points for your push button sling swivels. And they are the anti rotational too!

Yes…yes…yes, I am sponsored by Seekins but that does not change the fact the I did not think I wanted the SPR until I tried it!

The minute I saw the Seekins I new it was the one for me. I couldn't buy one, back orderd, but got lucky and won one at the Texas 3-gun. It is the best hand gaurd I've ever had. It's every thing Pat says and then some.

Dusty

Edited by Dustin Lohof