Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not throwing powder correctly?

Im new to reloading so I'm not sure if it's a lite charge or no charge but I had three almost squibs ( or how ever you say it) last night at a local match do I need to check every round every time I'm loading on a 550 and have been measuring every 10 to 15 rounds and everything is fine, but I dont look in ever round to make sure there is powder in it.

I'm loading a 230 bayou bullet with 3.8 gr of clays, I've been told to put a dryer sheet on the powder funnel and a few other things, is this s common problem with clays or the dillon or should I just get in to the habit of looking in every round as I'm loading??

Agree that it is a good practice to look in every case before you seat the bullet but you need to look into why you are not dropping powder. I don't use Clays but you should be able to consistently get +/-.1 gr drops or .2 at the most. The dryer sheet should help with static but static is not going to cause significantly lighter charges or no powder to be dropped.

Are you getting the full travel on your powder bar? Are you doing a full stroke every time you pull the handle? Have you run 10-15 charges and measured your powder drops for consistency?

What do you mean by an "almost" squib? Did the gun fail to cycle? Did it just sound diferent? Every case must be monitered for powder. With a 550 that means looking. A 650 you can use a powder check. As with all things in shooting, it is your responsiblity for all safety checks. Squibs lead to kabooms which can hurt you or people near you. You need to find out what went wrong. Check your equipment then recheck your loading technique.If you can't find the answer, tell us what you checked and maybe we can help. Good luck.

... but I dont look in ever round to make sure there is powder in it.

Confirming the powder charge in every case should become a reloading way of life. If your current loading position/lighting doesn't allow you to easily see the powder charge, rig up a light or mirror or both until you can. You are looking right there anyway, because that's where you are headed with the bullet. So looking directly into every case mouth will speed up your loading as well.

be

The gun cycled and went into battery so I don't know if it was a lite load or no powder at all but the round came out the barrel it wasn't stuck I think I just need to start looking at everyone, it is the correct powder bar but it's the old style, I have a new one with the new linkage adapter would that one work any better? Also I loaded about 300 rounds and had three of these rounds so is it just a flook thing or I just possibly missed it I'm doing full pulls of the bar.

Any suggestions on the new powder set up any better?

If the gun cycled and went to battery then the round was hot enough to work. A no powder round would not cycle the gun. Still not sure about what you felt was wrong. What type of gun are you shooting? Is it a stock spring? How were you loading? Did you load at the low or max range?

If the gun cycled and went to battery then the round was hot enough to work. A no powder round would not cycle the gun. Still not sure about what you felt was wrong. What type of gun are you shooting? Is it a stock spring? How were you loading? Did you load at the low or max range?

1911 with a 14 recoil spring , and I was shooting BANG BANG puff , so I stopped to make sure it wasn't in the barrel, I don't know what would happen with just a primer so it was probably really low on powder?

1911 with a 14 recoil spring , and I was shooting BANG BANG puff , so I stopped to make sure it wasn't in the barrel, I don't know what would happen with just a primer so it was probably really low on powder?

And all load Infos on original post

I don't load with clays. According to the manual the loading range for a 230GR LRN is 3.5-4.0. The OAL is 1.2. If your gun cycled and ejected the spent round, and was ready to fire again, then it must have been a light load not a primer only. As you stated, you are new to reloading. You might want to use a powder with a little more range of weight options and forgiveness of variations. I like Winchester 231.

With Doug on this one had a small piece of metal get into the powder measure on my 650 and couldn't make adjustments till I cleaned it. Always place the top back on the powder measure, even when making adjustments. Gave some thought to putting a piece of screen in the measure to catch anything that might get into the measure. At least it was found on set up and not during the run. Don't know how the small piece of metal got into the measure.

Had the linkage loosen enough to let the little white bushing slip out of the powder slide on a 550. The powder measure was working but powder drops varied. Now every time I drop a tube of primers I look at the bushing. The nut holding the linkage is a nylon lock nut if you back it off replace it or at least put locktite on it. I had changed the powder bar over from pistol to rifle and back and the nut loosened during a run.

Using Solo 1000 in 9mm, I had to polish the inside of the powder funnel to help bridging, Solo is a light flake power that can be a Pain to meter.

You MUST look at the case in station three before placing the bullet, your eyes are the only powder check. Once your used to doing it it becomes second nature. Have good lighting above the bench.