Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plastic Bullets

andrewst359

With todays technology and exotic polymers, why can't someone invent a rifle bullet made of plastic? Possibly with some reckon to make it slick. Im sure there's some really hard plastics that could be used. With todays prices it could make for some affordable bullets.

It's been done before. I had some plastic cased plastic projectile .308 training ammo designed to run through an HK 91/G3. To get it to function the gun, you needed an ultra light bolt/bolt carrier with no rollers. If memory serves the bullet weighed like 10 grains and had a muzzle velocity in the high 3k FPS range. It goes bang, the bullet exits the muzzle, and the gun cycles, but thats about all it's good for. Like the poster above said not sure there is a plastic that is dense enough to serve as a reasonable bullet. I think the densest plastic I could find had a density like 10% of lead.

Edited by caspian guy

We had some in a pickup gun at RM3G once. Plastic .308. One round out of a contender if I remember it right. Whole lotta noise not much recoil. But yes we use lead because of it's density. Sometimes other products are used but usually for a specific purpose. I think I've still got a box of 6.5x55 wooden bullets. I think they were some sort of training round but if ever there is a vampire outbreak, I am so prepared.

There are some woods that would be really good as far as density, but then you run into uniformity problems, and with spin from the rifling, things start to fall apart really fast. It would be cool to see the trajectories achieved with such a low density projectile. It must go wild after a short distance.

There are some woods that would be really good as far as density, but then you run into uniformity problems, and with spin from the rifling, things start to fall apart really fast. It would be cool to see the trajectories achieved with such a low density projectile. It must go wild after a short distance.

I have no clue. I saw them at a shop once and just bought them just to have. I don't plan on firing them. Just a cool curiosity piece

Hmmm. Yeah, then you have density issues. I would really like to see what those wood bullet look like. Are they foreign made? I couldn't bring myself shoot those either. Too cool.

I work with plastics, and I'm sure you could incorporate things into the plastic to make it heavy, I just think that to get it heavy enough would be next to impossible.

The 6.5 ammo with wooden bullets was intended to be used as some sort of blank. The ones I have seen were swede mil surp. There was a blank firing adapter that threaded over the muzzle that was intended to splinter the bullet on firing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:L%C3%B6sskjutningsanordning_gev%C3%A4r_m-96B_m-38B_m-41B_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg

Edited by caspian guy

There are several types of sintered metal/polymer blends that have been made into bullets and there are actually commercially available polymer bullets. I have 3 kinds that I use.

X-ring makes a polymer, primer fired bullet in several pistol calibers. I have a bunch in .38 spl that I use to start off training those really timid about recoil, kids, etc.

I also use the 9mm and .308 training bullets with the polymer cases and projectiles. The .308 is 4,000 fps and has pretty good accuracy out to about 150 yards from a bolt gun. The 9mm has to be hand cycled in an auto. Both are also good for inexpensive training and introducing people to shooting. I thought about making a dedicated upper for the 9mm stuff on a Glock frame, but there were some issues I decided were too expensive to overcome.

Given the amount of fussing the Greenies do about the lead we leave behind, I would hate to see the stink they would raise about the polymer. I mean the lead at least is a natural product and we are just returning it to nature. Any polymer tough enough to meet the need would likely have a tremendous lifespan and would be an environmental issue.

What about some how inserting a SS or tungsten rod tonhelp with weight?

Then you have an armor piercing round.

I asked an engineer who worked for Lake City and posts on this forum.

The problem that you run into, even when considering alternative metals, is that it is too expensive, too light, or too hard/soft to make into a bullet.

The bullet has to have sufficient weight to cycle the action and fly in a straight line, sufficient hardness to accept rifling without destroying it, and cheap.

Lead is the only metal that accomplishes all of that right now.

Maybe someday, metal polymer hybrid bullets will be cheaper to run in pistols.

When the CTG frangibles were selling on MidwayUSA for $40 per thousand the other week, I thought that time was upon us. <_<

The 6.5 ammo with wooden bullets was intended to be used as some sort of blank. The ones I have seen were swede mil surp. There was a blank firing adapter that threaded over the muzzle that was intended to splinter the bullet on firing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:L%C3%B6sskjutningsanordning_gev%C3%A4r_m-96B_m-38B_m-41B_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg

You just totally ruined my vampire hunting fantasy. :(

You just totally ruined my vampire hunting fantasy. :(

Oh don't let that bother you... Intended for and useful for are 2 different things :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With todays technology and exotic polymers, why can't someone invent a rifle bullet made of plastic? Possibly with some reckon to make it slick. Im sure there's some really hard plastics that could be used. With todays prices it could make for some affordable bullets.

They are working on a polymer case for the military

The are many variations of light weight training/pratice ammo as well as sabots plastic/polymar bore inserts used to hold jackated, lead or various other types of projectiles smaller than the original bore dia.

I've shot several of these in various caliber rifle cartridges mostly European calibers like 7.62 x 39,54r and 7.62 x 25. The Czechoslovakians preduced a 44 gr. plastic core copper or brass half jacket bullet for use in the X39 and 54r training ammo back in the 60's MV is 3200+ fps. at the muzzel but drops off to 2400+ fps. at 50 yds. and 1700+ fps. at 100 yds. Although for training purposes it's still deadly at close range. The x39 ammo is pretty hard to come by but the 54r is still around and can be found on occasions.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo013.htm

I also have E. German pratice ammo,it shoots a thin steel jacket copper coated plastic core bullet,it cycles through my Chinese SKS without a hitch fairly accurate at 50 yds. which is about as far as I can shoot in my back yard. Penetration was around 14" and the bullet tumble pretty readily.

ReloadingRoom02.jpg

Another option is the Sabot,there stillused today from centerfire rifle cartridges to US Military Abrams tank killer rd.,Remington used to produce loaded ammo called the Accelator http://www.ammo-one.com/RemingtonAccelators.html I produce my own version for use in my SKS rifles,accuracy is minute of pop can at 50 yds. pretty respeciable considering the sabots are .308 dia.

Picture016.jpg

• 3 months later...

The pic is of some 9mm I bought years ago and forgot I had! Plastic bullet, lead ball on top. REALLY LOUD, with no recoil, and no ability to cycle the slide or bolt (Oly Arms 9mm AR upper). Primers too hard to light with a tuned revolver, therefore....I forgot I had them.

OOOPPPPSSSSS I don't know how to attach a pic. sorry

Edited by gcambi