Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference in 625 prefixes?

JoseyWalesX

The 625-2 are the only model I've ever heard bad things about. The hammer mounted pin stopped at -4 or -5, arguably you can do a lighter trigger job on the frame mount. Other than that it's all a mixed bag of forged vs. MIM parts, etc. My advice is this: If you find a 5", buy it if the price is reasonable. They all work pretty damned well.

I see Cliff is starting to rub off on you eh? :-P

Hah Danny is, I'm actually wanting one to go shoot that charity match in Memphis.

Are you trying to figure out which suffix means that it was built in Australia, and has a longer barrel??? :)

Hah, if there was an Australian version I would have no problem waiting 6 months on it, I know, I've seen me do it.

Edited by JoseyWalesX

I can help with this question! :D

625-2s are problematic due to the floating hand and out-of-spec chamber dimensions. Not worth the trouble, unless you can steal one dirt cheap.

A few early 625-3s exhibit the floating hand issue, but the vast majority of 625-3s are fine.

625-4s are great. Internals are smoother than the earlier guns, and they still have the hammer nose if you care about that.

625-6s are the best of the breed (in my opinion). They have the frame-mounted firing pin, which allows for the lightest possible action tuning. They are also extremely smooth internally. Made around 1997-2000, this was right after S&W switched in the new tooling, and before they let all the cutters get dull!

625-8s (including the current production guns) are generally fine, but usually need chamber reaming. They also have the internal locking system, although that can be easily disabled or removed. They are a little rougher internally, but can be easily smoothed up.

(625-5s and 625-7s were chambered in .45 Colt.)

How can you tell which 625-X you have if you are not a revo expert? any secrets to discovering the -X number?

Not a revo expert, but I know how to do this- LOL! Open the cylinder and look at where the crane and frame meet. You will see 625 with it's dash number.

Edited by sbcman

I am trying to find a 5" 625 for USPSA and ICORE and was wondering what the difference in the prefixes are after the model number (ie. 625-3, 625-8, etc) Are any better that others, any that I should avoid?

I have a 635-8 that you are welcome to borrow if you shoot my Federal handloads, or I have a 25-2 that will shoot factory ammo if you wish. The 25-2 is what MsShooter used in August FYI. Let me know what you want to do.

I can help with this question! :D

625-2s are problematic due to the floating hand and out-of-spec chamber dimensions. Not worth the trouble, unless you can steal one dirt cheap.

A few early 625-3s exhibit the floating hand issue, but the vast majority of 625-3s are fine.

625-4s are great. Internals are smoother than the earlier guns, and they still have the hammer nose if you care about that.

625-6s are the best of the breed (in my opinion). They have the frame-mounted firing pin, which allows for the lightest possible action tuning. They are also extremely smooth internally. Made around 1997-2000, this was right after S&W switched in the new tooling, and before they let all the cutters get dull!

625-8s (including the current production guns) are generally fine, but usually need chamber reaming. They also have the internal locking system, although that can be easily disabled or removed. They are a little rougher internally, but can be easily smoothed up.

(625-5s and 625-7s were chambered in .45 Colt.)

Mike, thanks so much for posting this -- a definitive reference for my bookmark folder, from the guy everyone trusts about such things.

thanks guys, now if I can just find one........

They are available. While there is not always 1 available on gunbroker, if troll on there for a few weeks you will see they come and go.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=308045006

Expect to pay 800-900 for a 5". These will often have "Model of 1988 or 1989" in the description.

You will see a great many 4" guns. Avoid unless you can get a great price, like $500 or less.

If you can get a 4" for a great price, you can rebarrel it to a non-abusive length.

There are 625-5's in 45 ACP but they're Mountain Guns.

Are you sure on that? S&W is famous for stamping mistakes and parts mismatches, so it's entirely possible. However, every .45 ACP Mountain Gun I've handled has been a -6 variant.

Edited to add: Come to think of it, I believe the Springfield Armory Commemorative .45 ACP Mountain Guns were -4s.

Edited by Carmoney