Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV 105, 121s, and Brazos SX

Big Guy

Want to try a new load for my Brazos SX .38 super. :rolleyes:

Currently using IMR 4756 and 121 MG JHPs and based on conversations with other shooters want to go ahead and try VV 105.

According to information provided by Bob L., for a 124 JHP I'll need approx. 10.4 g of VV105 for a 168 PF.

Someone indicated that I can’t put enough 105 in the case to make major with a 121, is this true? :unsure:

Want to try a new load for my Brazos SX .38 super. :rolleyes:

Currently using IMR 4756 and 121 MG JHPs and based on conversations with other shooters want to go ahead and try VV 105.

According to information provided by Bob L., for a 124 JHP I'll need approx. 10.4 g of VV105 for a 168 PF.

Someone indicated that I can't put enough 105 in the case to make major with a 121, is this true? :unsure:

Only you can answer that question since only you have your gun. Start building a load and chrono it, then you will know for sure.

Pat

121 MG JHPs and conversations with other shooters want to go try VV 105.

Big, I wouldn't buy 8 lbs based only on whether you can get that

much powder in a case - can you buy 1/4 lb from one of the other

shooters and try it? I'd be looking at accuracy, feel, sights

lifting, smoke, and other factors in evaluating a new powder.

:cheers:

I' m trying to confirm whether there will be an actual case capacity limitation issue before I order 8 lbs of 105.

Only have 1lbs can in the US. You can get 10.5 in a case. Its full and you slop powder on a 650. The PRO/SX will make major with N105 and 121s unless the barrel is shot out.

SVI IMM (Great big barrel holes) make major with 121

N105 is quite expensive compared to 4756 and IMHO, your not gaining anything worth the cost!

I run N105 and 121s. The case is full but it will work. A couple things with 105. When you are reloading get used to putting your finger over the case as the round cycles from the powder drop to the bullet feeding station otherwise you will spill powder. All N105 users have the secret insignia of a circle on the tip of the index finger from doing this. The other thing is that unless things have changed you can only buy 105 in 1lb lots. Cranks the price right on up there.

How long are you guys loading the 121s? :huh:

If you're loading 38 super, try 1.235" I was told that this helps keep the rounds from stacking on top of each other.

I loaded everything to 1.25" in 38SC to keep the pressure spike down as much as possible.

Have any of you tried 3N38 as a replacement for 105?

I actually preferred 3n38 to 105 as 105 actually felt too slow/sluggish for me. The only issue with 3n38 is the fireballs out of the comp and the change in 'bang' when the powder ignites. I'd get bang, bang, BANG, bang, BANG, etc.

With all that said, I preferred 4756 as it had just seemed to be the right 'speed' for me.

As indicated, I currently use 4756, but haven't been happy with the tracking.

Some of the guys suggested either 3N38 or 105, so I'll give them a try and see which feel better.

Nothing wrong with trying different powders, especially the ones you're looking at.

Yep, all three are good powders. N38 is a marshmallow roaster and does make that odd loud bang when it ignites the unburned powder in the comp. Do make sure that you run them all up to around173-175 power factor. You will be amazed at the difference in dot tracking compared to lower power factors.

I know G-Man Bart uses 105 but not sure what weight bullet.

Barts load is around 10.3 with a 115 mg jhp.....IIRC... and its super comp, not super. I load 10.5 of N105 with the same 115 mg jhp... Its running around a 172-175 PF.

It fills the case to about 1/8" from spilling out, and is compressed, but nowhere close to being over pressure.

How long are you guys loading the 121s? :huh:

Have any of you tried 3N38 as a replacement for 105?

I run 3N38 in both my open guns. One is a IMM clone and one is a PRO/sx clone. 3N38 is great with 121s or 124s. The case is not so full and you can get 4LB bottles.

For both of my Pro SX my load is 10.6gr of N105 with a zero 125gr bullet loaded to 1.240 to get 169PF. In order to get a higher margin, I would load to 10.7 for a 171PF. Chrono tests shows that with MG 124JHP, the velocity is about the same (within 0.5PF +/-)

It'll all fit. I used 10.6 gr of N105 with a Zero 121 jhp loaded to 1.230 and made major (170pf).

This was in my Millennium Custom gun with two holes in the barrel.

But, gotta slow down on the loading as the powder gets flung out of the case if you go too fast.

Don't use it now because it's too expensive at 10.6 gr per round, the powder hopper needs refilling often and the mess it was causing from all the powder being spilled out adds up.

Try it and see if you like it.

tried 3N38 before settling on N105. the 3N38 felt softer but the dot tracking was not quite as good as with N105. my gun is a 5" and on the light side with no holes.

and I never got to experience the fireballs that everyone describes with 3N38 haha