Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Shooter ready?" or "Are you ready?"

dravz

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to bump a slightly aged thread, but I realy HATE when someone impersonating an RO says, "Are you ready?............WELL? ARE YOU?!"

+1

Or how about when you attend a level 2 match and the person that announces himself as the CRO for the stage is the one running you on the timer, and at the "Are you ready?" command leaves you standing there waiting because he's looking for a head nod acknowlegment, and then finally gives you the Standby command after 5 seconds, and your brain goes into overdrive saying don't react, have him start over, you don't have to react, you don't have to react...and then he hits the buzzer and you react out of sheer habit????????

(don't worry Mark, not a match you were involved with)

My understand was that the "Ready" question was looking for a negative response. That is, if you are not tell me now else I am going forward to the next command.

8.3.2 "Are You Ready?" – The lack of any negative response from the competitor indicates that he fully understands the requirements of the course of fire and is ready to proceed. If the competitor is not ready at the "Are You Ready?" command, he must state "Not Ready". It is suggested that when the competitor is ready he should assume the required start position to indicate his readiness to the Range Officer.

You go forward to the next command because you did not receive any feedback from the shooter advising you not to. That command/question allows for a response (positive or negative), but one is not required.

I'm OCD about commands being by the book. I remember in my RO class, there was a guy who said 'show me a clear gun' instead of 'unload and show clear'. The instructor refused to budge until the student said it right. He was humiliated and really PO'ed about it afterward, grumbling that it means the same thing and is good enough.

If you're quick enough, you could say...."do you want me to unload it first?"

Kyle................what are you trying to tell me? I have to learn new stufff? Do you know how long it took me to learn the last rulebook? AAAAAAGGHHHHHHH!

Ok, I am going to go sit in the corner now.....

It is all old rulebook stuff.

I went stupid and screwed up the commands on a shooter awhile back. I simply said stop, I'm going to start over when you are ready. I know the commands but like everyone else I can go brain dead on occasion and I am going to make sure I do it correctly for every shooter!

Mildot

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a relatively new RO and I also shoot Steel and IDPA. At our local matches I notice the ROs (including myself) were not consistent with our commands. So I made a wallet sized cheat sheet with USPSA, SCSA, and IDPA official commands and passed them out.

And I always verify the range is clear by scanning the stage and checking behind all visual obstructions before issuing the Make Ready command. That's a very basic safety issue. I guess if you get in a hurry or are relying on others to clear the range, that's when bad things can happen.