Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lone Wolf light weight striker failed in 170 minor loaded rounds

usmc0326

I finally gave in and put some "Race" components in my glock 34 production race gun. One of which was the Lone Wolf light weight striker. Installed it with some massaging of the spring cups for reduced friction. Used the unknown rate lighter than stock glockworks/zev striker spring since I had been getting light strikes with the 4.0 lb striker spring when using up the several thousand winchester small pistol primers I purchased a couple months ago.

Anyhow, last weekend I did the Albany Rifle Pistol Club match and I was thinking there was something funky with my trigger and my mind was occupied by that. Anyhow, came home tore down the pistol and cleaned it. I noticed that the plating on the striker spring was pealing off. Took the big flakes off and started practicing. Did some dry fire practice and noticed that I was having to pull through what felt like a shorter overtravel stop. A couple shots later the striker broke in half.

Post tear down inspection showed a part that was obviously not thought out very well. The person/ people that made this part have NO business making weapon components. They failed to do any Finite Element Analysis on the component (stress computations) and I have no idea how this part made it into production. What pissed me off the most was that they were well aware of an issue but didn't bother contacting their vendors and swapping the known bad parts out with the revised parts they came out with 5 months ago which would have saved me a three gun match DNF on Sunday. Not impressed at all with this company.

551915_10151208553139669_429466723_n.jpg

If you are unable to work it out with Lone Wolf, I have had great luck with my Jager strikers. They are more expensive but they are durable, make a crisp break, and have an extended tip for added insurance. Good luck!

Same results here with the Jager firing pin. Over 35,000 rounds fired with zero problems.

Have you read this thread?

Lightweight Strikers

No I hadn't, and honestly I don't usually listen to random guys on the interwebs, I also don't have the time to read every thread on Brianenos.com/forums. Mainly due to the volume of conjecture and not data. I thought I would share my experience with people which may have been in the market for said parts.

I will be using the stock striker as I don't feel the offset in lock time is worth having parts fail. They are sending me a new one, but I don't really have much confidence in their build/ designs to run their striker in anything other than range testing at this point.

Edited by usmc0326

What you will find is a variety of experiences. Some work for some people, others do not. My first try with a Jager resulted in a broken tip after less than 1K rounds. Never went back to it. Same with triggers. My first try with a Vanek went auto, never went back.

Lone Wolf connectors work in some of my Glocks, but not in others, even when moving the entire trigger assembly that works elsewhere.

Too much variability and tolerances among the Glocks to assure that every one will run exactly like every other one. Call it conjecture, call it an anecdotal comment, just my experience with these aftermarket parts.

Edited by vluc

I tried one and it snapped in half in about 100 dry fires. It appears to be a poorly made product as they lightened it too much that there is basically the metal is so thin in so many places it breaks. They need to increase the weight and have less holes

From the Forum Guidlines:

Rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Colt, Brownell's, Dillon, or Match Staff - are NOT PERMITTED. Brian's Forums is not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual.

I'm surprised this hasn't been locked already. Clear violation of guidelines.

No rants that I can see, just respectful commentary. All experiences are different.

Agree.. This is only posted to share with others.. I have had many issues with these strikers.. I love the way they feel, they work.. That is when they are not broken.. I have had probably 10-12 of these break already and getting more.. Should I put up with that many failures? No, but if I can be the person that helps solve the problem by returning these as much as possible and giving a hard test for them then maybe thats the answer... Hopefully they will listen and correct the problem..

Agree with glockman1000's post above. Read it..

First generation was breaking as above.... The second generation is lasting much longer... 1000-1500 dryfires-livefires... And now breaks at the leg.. So give it time guys....

Is it annoying?? Yes of course... I was in a practice match when mine broke... Will I be using this striker at nationals?? Probably not..

McGlock

Looks like I came back to the forum at the right time as the striker I just took out of a G22 looks exactly like the one in the picture at the start of this post. Only bought it because the one I wanted was on back order. Time to send an email.

Looks like I came back to the forum at the right time as the striker I just took out of a G22 looks exactly like the one in the picture at the start of this post. Only bought it because the one I wanted was on back order. Time to send an email.

LWD will want a picture e mailed as well and the new strikers are still in China and not on the ship yet.

I installed a new Jager in the one I saw that was broken last week.

How can we know if the product is good or not if people cant talk abt it here

Talking about it is exactly what we do here.

No rants that I can see, just respectful commentary. All experiences are different.

Read the #3 paragraph in the OP.

Post tear down inspection showed a part that was obviously not thought out very well. The person/ people that made this part have NO business making weapon components. They failed to do any Finite Element Analysis on the component (stress computations) and I have no idea how this part made it into production. What pissed me off the most was that they were well aware of an issue but didn't bother contacting their vendors and swapping the known bad parts out with the revised parts they came out with 5 months ago which would have saved me a three gun match DNF on Sunday. Not impressed at all with this company.

Not within the guidelines. Not even close. That is a slam on LWD and a customer service issue.

Edited by warpspeed

Rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Colt, Brownell's, Dillon, or Match Staff - are NOT PERMITTED. Brian's Forums is not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual.

Not a rant, it's a product comment/ evaluation. I bought it, used it, it broke rediculously fast, I shared it. (looked for troll emoticon but failed to find one.)

I am a 3rd year engineering student and I pointed out their lack of development and testing on the product evident in their second generation part failures aswell. Personally as the owner of a Corporation myself, my reputation would not be what it is if I released products which failed prematurely. I don't have an issue with their customer service, they are sending me a new firing pin when they get them. I have an issue with their approach for development and their quality control Google: Finite Element Analysis. They make weapons parts and having a large number of failure percentages in this arena is IMO unacceptable. I am not saying no calculations or parts my company makes don't fail. But we at least do a reasonable amount of testing to proof the concepts and products we release. If there is a problem, I personally take care of it or oversee it if I am unavailable. THAT is what I dislike about Lonewolf, they knew about the issue but chose not to be proactive.

I am not new to the shooting and weapons game. So I have seen companies produce poor to outstanding products. While I have no problem giving Bravo Zulu's (good jobs) Glock, JP etc, I also have no issue with sharing my thoughts on defective or substandard products. The thing that concerns me is a company that makes barrels and similar critical parts should have enough experience and engineering knowledge to make a firing pin which would survive more than a day of shooting. So the extended concern is that if they exhibit the same lackluster quality control in barrel making someone could get seriously injured.

If you look up my other posts you will see that I give constructive critisism and overall feedback for many things I have used. This is a forum for experienced and inexperienced shooters. I have a lot of experience and a fair bit of exposure, however I personally hadn't heard of the issues surrounding the steel striker pins so I shared.

Edited by usmc0326

Not a rant, it's a product comment/ evaluation. I bought it, used it, it broke rediculously fast, I shared it. (looked for troll emoticon but failed to find one.)

I am a 3rd year engineering student and I pointed out their lack of development and testing on the product evident in their second generation part failures aswell. Personally as the owner of a Corporation myself, my reputation would not be what it is if I released products which failed prematurely. I don't have an issue with their customer service, they are sending me a new firing pin when they get them. I have an issue with their approach for development and their quality control Google: Finite Element Analysis. They make weapons parts and having a large number of failure percentages in this arena is IMO unacceptable. I am not saying no calculations or parts my company makes don't fail. But we at least do a reasonable amount of testing to proof the concepts and products we release. If there is a problem, I personally take care of it or oversee it if I am unavailable. THAT is what I dislike about Lonewolf, they knew about the issue but chose not to be proactive.

I am not new to the shooting and weapons game. So I have seen companies produce poor to outstanding products. While I have no problem giving Bravo Zulu's (good jobs) Glock, JP etc, I also have no issue with sharing my thoughts on defective or substandard products. The thing that concerns me is a company that makes barrels and similar critical parts should have enough experience and engineering knowledge to make a firing pin which would survive more than a day of shooting. So the extended concern is that if they exhibit the same lackluster quality control in barrel making someone could get seriously injured.

If you look up my other posts you will see that I give constructive critisism and overall feedback for many things I have used. This is a forum for experienced and inexperienced shooters. I have a lot of experience and a fair bit of exposure, however I personally hadn't heard of the issues surrounding the steel striker pins so I shared.

Agree.

Bash or rant, it doesnt matter as long as its done in respectful, proper manner.

Praising to high heavens good products/service and keeping silent about bad ones that we have experience of is not a fair presentation of facts.

If we are to be constructive we must realize that keeping mum about it doesnt help the end user and/or the manufacturer.

Everybody loses and nobody wins.

Just my .02