Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Won a C-More, which to choose

partyboy424

Hey guys,

I shot area 7 last week with my trusty and simple M&P. C-More decided to raffle a red dot sight which i won Thus, causing me to start saving for an Open gun. I don't really know anything about open guns. Everyone I shoot with who excels with them has the 2011 types (sti, sv etc) so I will most likely end up with something like that. I figure I might as well get the dot now and start piecing everything together.

Here are the options they gave me:

Choose of a Railway, Serendipity SL or Slide Ride Model (all have option of click or standard switch and choice of color and dot size)

Out of those options what would be recommended for a new to open shooter who intends to keep his setup until he is old and broke from shooting 38 super?

Thanks

Hey guys,

I shot area 7 last week with my trusty and simple M&P. C-More decided to raffle a red dot sight which i won Thus, causing me to start saving for an Open gun. I don't really know anything about open guns. Everyone I shoot with who excels with them has the 2011 types (sti, sv etc) so I will most likely end up with something like that. I figure I might as well get the dot now and start piecing everything together.

Here are the options they gave me:

Choose of a Railway, Serendipity SL or Slide Ride Model (all have option of click or standard switch and choice of color and dot size)

Out of those options what would be recommended for a new to open shooter who intends to keep his setup until he is old and broke from shooting 38 super?

Thanks

You might want to contact S&J Customs they just released an Open Gun built on a M&P.

With a 90* mount for a slide ride C-More.

Edited by TruStreet

I would go with the C-More ASR w/click, it's an aluminum body, 6 MOA, if possible. I had a Seredipity CSL830 and the plastic body cracked. C-More did a great job converting it to an ASR system. The customer service is great!!!! biggrin.gif

I say Railway. Remove the two screws that hold the scope on the rail, and you have a Slide Ride! If you don't want to use it on a pistol, you can mount it on your rifle or shotgun. I use the standard switch model, but you can ask around for more informed opinions on that option. Dot size is a personal preference. Big dots are easier to find on the draw, smaller dots are more precise. I use a 12, but I only shoot Steel Challenge now. For USPSA, I'd probably pick 6 or 8. As far as the color, get something flashy! I went with red.

For a few dollar more you can upgrade to the aluminum model, I think it's $50 but don't quote me. The alum. model is a click switch and they have thumb screws for the battery compartment so you don't need an allen wrench.

For 125 you can upgrade to the RSR. A very good small dot. It has almost the same size window as the full size with a much smaller body.

I won the same cert at the pro am and I got the railway, black, click switch. 6moa.

The click switch is about $50 more if you were buying it. The railway attachment is $10 I believe. Since they are all free, get the best one.

And don't forget to thank them when you send in your cert for sponsoring that and all of the matches that they do. They do a great job of giving back.

I have prettty much every basic model... Alum, plastic, reostat, click. For USPSA...adding more weight to the top of the gun does not work for me. Plastic railway w/click switch is my first choice........I have found the click switch is brighter at the high end.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well get a Pictanny Mount with a 4 dot, I can use it on my AKDAL shotgun. All of my open guns have the slide ride with the regular rheostat. I have a click but what is the point I turn it up all the way every time anyway, well except night matches.

I've run the 8, 6, and the 4 dot. I like the 6 best, it gives you a little smaller dot and at long range with a no shoot you can be abit more precise. At 50 yards the 8 covers half the target. I had the 4 before my Cataract Surgery and found it hard to see, I'm sure I could see it now.

Finally sent in for it last week. Looked like the general vote was for 8 moa dot with a click switch and a railway since I could take the mount apart and do a slide ride if wanted. Since I posted this I ended up making a friend near where I live who has a machine shop. Bridgeports and a CNC machine. Long story short, in exchange for helping him out the last couple of months, he is wiling to let me try and make whatever I want on the CNC.... So, hopefully in the next couple of months I'll get started on an all steel one piece M&P receiver which I will in turn make into my prototype Open gun.