Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First AR Build Any Advice?

Zmego

This is my first AR build from the ground up. All my parts are on the way and will be here by the end of the week.

I have broken down my other AR pretty far and I am comfortable with all the lower parts but have never messed with the upper.

Any last minute advice? Anything to avoid or make sure and do?

Thanks

The upper is fairly simple if you have the fixture to hold it, a torque wrench and the adapter. Just take your time and torque to your spec + enough to get the gas tube through without stressing it. Getting the gas tube right doesn't make a marginal shooter a laser, but it can make an otherwise consistent gun marginal. ARs are a lot like legos. Pretty easy to deal with.

I don't know if you have roll pin punches for the lower or if you are using the vice grip method, but if you are using vice grips be sure to use plenty of tape and take your time. Also when installing the detents for the takedown pins make sure you are in a small/ clean enough space to find it when you launch it. A razor blade helps for those too.

Good luck, and if you get stuck don't force anything, take your time and most of all enjoy the process!

It is very anti-climactic... it took like 15 minutes and I went sloooooowww... I spent weeks pouring over every bit of info I could find on the internet ordering stuff from all over and then seriously 15 minutes to put it all together. :angry2: It was like a snap together model when you are a kid. I wanted to feel like I really built something but it was not like that at all.

I would use the vice grip method, its way better than the pin punch method

It is very anti-climactic... it took like 15 minutes and I went sloooooowww... I spent weeks pouring over every bit of info I could find on the internet ordering stuff from all over and then seriously 15 minutes to put it all together. :angry2: It was like a snap together model when you are a kid. I wanted to feel like I really built something but it was not like that at all.

I would use the vice grip method, its way better than the pin punch method

But I already have some roll pin punches and $80 for a new set of specific pliers sounds steep. I know I sound cheap but I spent all my money on quality parts...none left for quality tools!

White anti-galling grease is critical.

My upper was a tight fit for the JP barrel, so I took it pretty slow to ensure the slot lined up correctly.

Check the clearance on the hand guard and the gas block before you put the barrel on the gun.

I had a bit of a problem with my JP barrel. The muzzle break was larger than my hand guard. I called JP, i was told to just unscrew the muzzle brake--the brake and barrel seemed seamless. I thought it was essentially one piece. :roflol:

• 3 weeks later...