Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 1-4 optic for under $600

Zmego

I am just in the final stages of my 3 gun AR build and it is time for me to decide on an optic. I currently have a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4 and it is great but I was wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at. Maybe something with illumination?

I really like the Trijicon TR24 and the Vortex PST. I shoot matches in the dark and gloomy state of Washington so I'm not sure that fiber optic lit reticles will work or not.

Keep in mind the majority of my 3 gun/tac rifle will be at my local range and our max distance we can set up for is about 150. Some others that I will go to can pus the 250-300 range but that's as far as I will shoot.

Thanks in advance for the input.

a used TR24 would be damn near perfect. They are amazing and fast inside 250, and the illumination is great. It can go to blinding bright in the sun, or even glow in the pitch black on it's own power in total darkness. You can pick up a used one with a mount in about your price range, too.

I am just in the final stages of my 3 gun AR build and it is time for me to decide on an optic. I currently have a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4 and it is great but I was wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at. Maybe something with illumination?

I really like the Trijicon TR24 and the Vortex PST. I shoot matches in the dark and gloomy state of Washington so I'm not sure that fiber optic lit reticles will work or not.

Keep in mind the majority of my 3 gun/tac rifle will be at my local range and our max distance we can set up for is about 150. Some others that I will go to can pus the 250-300 range but that's as far as I will shoot.

The fiber optic lit reticles are the brightest of them all. It will work fine for you. I have a TR24 and brightness on the gloomy days here in the winter in AK are no problem.

pat

The fiber optic lit reticles are the brightest of them all. It will work fine for you. I have a TR24 and brightness on the gloomy days here in the winter in AK are no problem.

pat

Alaska - What color reticle did you go with?

pat

Alaska - What color reticle did you go with?

I currently have a green one and I have had a red one and a amber one and I like the red best of all.

Pat

I think that the Tac30 is tough to beat for the $. I dont personally think that the differences between it and the MTAC are worth $100. Ive been running one for two years on my first 3gun rifle. The reticle isnt the best, but the big bold circle will serve you well up close, and the dots will work fine at the ranges you mentioned.

I also shoot 3 gun in Washington and shoot tax rifle at the Custer range on a regular basis. I have been running the Vortex Viper PST for about a year. It works great. The only complaint I have is the lack of turret caps.

If you want to check it out at the next rifle match let me know and I'll bring it to the range.

Tavis

I also shoot 3 gun in Washington and shoot tax rifle at the Custer range on a regular basis. I have been running the Vortex Viper PST for about a year. It works great. The only complaint I have is the lack of turret caps.

If you want to check it out at the next rifle match let me know and I'll bring it to the range.

Tavis

I have decided to go with the Burris MTAC for now but I get so bored with gear I am sure I will be tweaking things in no time. I plan on being at the tac rifle match in Oct. so maybe I can see how the PST compares.

I think that the Tac30 is tough to beat for the $. I dont personally think that the differences between it and the MTAC are worth $100. Ive been running one for two years on my first 3gun rifle. The reticle isnt the best, but the big bold circle will serve you well up close, and the dots will work fine at the ranges you mentioned.

I have to respectfully disagree. The on/off toggle between power settings is handier than you think, and the eye piece not moving when you change magnification power is great.