Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing Protection

okorpheus

Seriously considering investing in an electronic set of earmuffs and wondering if anyone has used multiple brands and can offer comparisons. Howard Leight, Peltor? Are Pro Ears worth the extra $$$? Are their "gold" models worth another jump in price?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've used Caldwell, Howard Leight, ProEars and Sordin. I think the Sordin and ProEars are the best, of course, they should be, they cost the most. I have the ProEars Gold. Unless they redesigned the battery holder, I'd get the Sordin, even if the NRR rating is a little lower. If the new ProEars has changed the design of the battery compartment, so the batteries are positively held in, I'd get those.

Better to put a budget first, H. Leights to Gold Pro ears is a big gap.

I had H. Leights, best bang for your buck. I had Pro Ears, liked it but sold it. Its bulky for my taste and sometimes, just sometimes, it gets on the way on a corner or just some stage designs that you have to duck down on some port or something.. I have now the Sordins, thinner profile plus gel cups, very comfortable.

I had the pro ears gold 33 NRRs and I found them to be very heavy. So heavy they made my neck sore after all day wearing them. And the electronics take up almost all of the ear cup space so if you have big ears like me they really got scrunched and hurt pretty bad as well.

I also tried the cheap peltor electronic muffs and the circuitry was pretty bargain basement and clipped all sound when shooting was going on. ANNOYING to say the least.

I don't like plugs in my ears at all so I need all the protection I can get out of my muffs so I went away from electronics and got a pair of peltor passives that are 33 NRR and they are great even with an Open gun indoors. Only problem is when people with the fancy schmancy muffs want to talk while shooting is going on. I do a lot of nodding and saying yep, yep when I actually have no idea what they are saying. They only cost around $25.

I have both the Sordins and the EAR custom plugs. I brought them to my ENT doc last year and he said either would work just fine. He preferred I wear both, but either by themselves were sufficient to prevent hearing loss. BTW, he is a shooter himself, so I really trusted his judgement.

As far as preference, I soley wear the custom plugs because in SC, the summers are hot and the muffs just get too damn hot. The only time i double up is when I RO Open shooters.

The Sordins are great. Yes, they are expensive, but if you get the gel pads, which are extra, they are very comfortable, and you can hear a mouse fart in the next bay. Also good to make sure no one is talking about you behind your back! :D

How are you going to use them? If you plan on shooting indoors or large caliber rifles then I'd pass on the HLs. Outdoors they are OK for most folks but I needed a little more. I've been using the Pro Ears Golds for a couple of years and, as mentioned, wish they would redesign the battery compartment but the PE Slim Golds work really well for me and aren't so thick that I can't shoot my rifles. I wouldn't recommend the Pro Ears Preditor Golds though. My wife has broken hers several times.

I have the H. Leights Impact Pro and they work great for me. Nice and low profile. Also VERY affordable (around $50) so you can see if you like the electronic muffs without making too much of a commitment. I pretty much only shoot outdoors so I couldn't say how they work at an inside range but for me they're just fine.

I've owned the Howard Leight Impact Sport, Pro Ears Gold Mag, and the Peltor Tactical Pro. Personally, I was impressed the least by the Pro Ears. They are huge, expensive, and my set didn't particularly impress me with the electronics.

Peltor Tactical Pro:

Pros - Good hearing protection, decent electronics, runs on AAs, not terribly heavy, and about as comfortable as muffs get

Cons - Big, priced on the high side, don't get as loud as I'd like when double plugged (I have really good custom plugs though)

Howard Leight Impact Sport:

Pros - Very affordable, runs on AAA, low profile, and light

Cons - Not a lot of hearing protection (I'd definitely double plug), electronics clip all sound, I don't find them to be comfortable for long matches

Depending on what you are looking for, I'd buy either of the above to again.

I have used the Leight Impact sport. Outdoors they are fine, indoors not so much. I like that they use a commonly available battery. I have taken to using them with plugs also. I am fairly young and don't need any more tinnitus.

The one knock I have against them is that they are a bit uncomfortable with shooting glasses, but I have not found any muffs that aren't.

Budget is what I'm deciding on. I'm not opposed to Savin a bit longer for pro ears if they are really that much better, but if leight or peltor are just as good for a little less dough I'd rather not.

Hello: I just switched from the Peltor 6S to the Dillon muffs. I like the Dillons better because of the battery door and they are loader so I can hear the buzzer better. I still double plug when shooting open and can still hear the timer better. I do wish that the Dillon muffs would keep the head strap from coming loose so it keeps my hat in place better. Th pro ears allows seem so big to me. The Sordins are nice but pricey. As they say "buy once cry once" Thanks, Eric

I use a pair of plugs that Brad from Hear-Pro made me at the Pro-Am in Frostproof this summer. They cost $55. I love them. No more sweating, cramped ears, and my sunglasses feel good again. He's also selling electronic plugs for around $600. Hear-Pro is a BE vendor and takes good care of all shooters. The indoor range I go to is tiny and full of guys shooting hand cannons, but so far so good. The only negative I've heard is that people either love or hate custom plugs.

I have both the Sordins and the EAR custom plugs. I brought them to my ENT doc last year and he said either would work just fine. He preferred I wear both, but either by themselves were sufficient to prevent hearing loss. BTW, he is a shooter himself, so I really trusted his judgement.

As far as preference, I soley wear the custom plugs because in SC, the summers are hot and the muffs just get too damn hot. The only time i double up is when I RO Open shooters.

The Sordins are great. Yes, they are expensive, but if you get the gel pads, which are extra, they are very comfortable, and you can hear a mouse fart in the next bay. Also good to make sure no one is talking about you behind your back! :D

I always double plug. The outer muffs are the Sordin Pro's and with the volume turned up, I can hear conversations without any problem, even double plugged. I agree with Glen, get the gel pads, and also get the strap that goes behind your head. I wore this combination for two 12 hour days over the weekend, and was never uncomfortable.

Budget is what I'm deciding on. I'm not opposed to Savin a bit longer for pro ears if they are really that much better, but if leight or peltor are just as good for a little less dough I'd rather not.

Others will disagree, but like I mentioned above, I definitely do not think the Pro Ears are worth the money. Bear in mind, my review of the Peltors was the Tactical Pro (there are a lot of other lower models which are not nearly as nice IMO).

I have had each of the brands you mentioned.

I like Dillon muff a lot. I use them when shooting Clay Sports. They are a little weak for Open guns unless you double plug.

Hated Peltors.

I like the Pro Ears--they are heavy. I usually loan these out to friends.

I have two pairs of Sordin-one with gel cup and one without.

For me there is no comparison to the Sordin muff. I wear these all the time--hot weather, cold weather, etc...