Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats your favorite reloader

Cundiff5535

I have a RL1050 a 650 and a 550...that's about the right press ratio to me! The 1050 produces 8x more bullets than the others combined but it can't handle all of the other calbibers.

Back to your question...my "favorite" is the 1050 but if I had to choose one only it would be the 650.

Edited by sidnal

My PLC controled 1050 is the one I like most. Stopping by the shop every now and then to add primer, bullets, cases and get another beer I loaded 500 rounds Saturday while mowing the lawn.

If you decide to sell your 1050 shoot me a PM as I would really like another one. I even have two 650's, if your interested let me know.

Just did the clean up bench thing a while back, out the door with a 550 & 650 and more caliber conversions for the 1050. Will be getting rid of another 650 shortly and maybe a couple Stars as the 1050 seems to be my go to machine

Edited by angus6

Hello: I have 2 RL 1050's and a Super 1050. I like the RL1050's better since they are nicely broken in. What makes the RL's better is the Mr. Bulletfeeders on them that I got from Power Factor shooting :cheers: Never had a 650 but had a 550 and a couple of SDB's. I like the SDB's next after the 1050's. Thanks, Eric

i dont know anything about dillon and have never used one. im not talking down on them as i know many people like them over all other presses. but its hard for me to buy something when im told to buy an extra parts kit when i buy the press. it just looks like to me if the press needs the extra parts kit then it should either come with the press or dillon should fix the problem so you dont need it. thats like buying a gun and the dealer saying oh by the way you will need to buy theese extra parts so you can fix it. dont get me wrong i know things wear out but fast enough to need the extra parts with a new press is sad. maybe i dont know what im talking about. its just the many things that i have read on this site about them. i really think it comes down to personal choice kinda like ford and chevy. like i said i do not have any experiance with a dillon but the threads that i have read about them have kept me from buying one.

I've had my Dillon RL550B for around 20 years now and I've never had to buy an extra parts kit. Dillon will replace pretty much any part that breaks on the machine for life, whether you bought the machine new or at some yard sale. I don't know of any other manufacturer that does that. They recommend the extra parts kit as a way to keep going and not have to wait for a new part if a part does happen to break. Replace the part out of your kit, call Dillon and have them send you a new part (most likely free of charge) and when it arrives put it back in the parts kit to replace the one you used.

Edited by 392heminut

i dont know anything about dillon and have never used one. im not talking down on them as i know many people like them over all other presses. but its hard for me to buy something when im told to buy an extra parts kit when i buy the press. it just looks like to me if the press needs the extra parts kit then it should either come with the press or dillon should fix the problem so you dont need it. thats like buying a gun and the dealer saying oh by the way you will need to buy theese extra parts so you can fix it. dont get me wrong i know things wear out but fast enough to need the extra parts with a new press is sad. maybe i dont know what im talking about. its just the many things that i have read on this site about them. i really think it comes down to personal choice kinda like ford and chevy. like i said i do not have any experiance with a dillon but the threads that i have read about them have kept me from buying one.

The reason for the spare parts kit is to replace parts that commonly wear out, break, or are lost while you are waiting for the replacement part to come in. This is especially useful if you need the part while you are loading your match ammo the night before a major. Since you seem to like analogies, it's more like keeping spare parts for your gun in the range bag. If your gun decides to crap out at a match, fix it and keep on shooting. :cheers:

Sounds like you need to get your facts straight. I have a Dillon 650 and an SL-900 12 gauge shotgun reloader. I have NEVER had to buy a part for either. The last part I received from Dillon, at no charge< was a complete priming system for the 900. Easily worth over $100.00. I was having trouble and called Dillon for a few parts for the priming system and received the complete system.

Pat

The only reason they suggest the replacement parts kit is to prevent down time. I have broken a couple of parts on my 650's. Called Dillon they shipped the parts out the next day. Was down until the part arrived. If you don't mind the down time don't buy the replacement parts kit. I now have the replacement parts kit.

I also sent in a 550 and they rebuilt it for me sent it back looked like a new press and had over $217 in replacement parts no charge. Why would anyone buy any other progressive press with the service Dillon provides?

The COOLEST press I have ever seen was at the Great Western Gun Show at the L.A. Fairgrounds I think around1984-85. You added powder, cases, lead, wax and primers, and it spit out reloaded ammo at a good clip. It made the bullets and everything. First machine I could have watched all day. A man went over occasionally and refilled things, and checked things, but for the most part it just ran all day. I was at the show for at lest six hours, and it was running when I arrived, and when I left.

I only have an SDB right now. I think a 650 is in the cards soon though. I cant see reloading on anything but a self advancing press though. I do not feel the need to stop at the 550 on the way to the 650, or even the 1050.

But what about the 1050 do you like so much as to step out from behind the protection of the Dillon warranty?

The reason for having the spare parts kit has been answered. When I had my gun built I also had some spare parts fitted just in case. I have not needed them either but if my gun breaks I at least should be able to get it up and running faster than waiting on a part. Heck, most guys will tell you to replace many parts on a stock STI for maximum performance.

Having spare parts around is a good thing. cheers.gif