Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting to load 40 s&w, need powder recommendation

natgas

I'm going to start loading 40 tomorrow; been loading only 45 and 9mm but I'm going to purchase a new 40 (something) and just want to add the 40's to my inventory.

I use clay's exclusively for both the current calibers but would like some of the experts opinions on whether Clays is a good powder for the 40.

Thanks

clays is an awesome powder for 40 minor, and is very popular.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable loading to major with clays (I use n320 for major), but many people do. If you load 9mm with clays, you probably have a higher comfort level than I do, so you might be fine.

Thanks everyone; I haven't chosen my 40 yet but probably an M&P; I only use straight clays now; this will be for practice only so I'll stick with it and the 180's with 2.88 to 2.94 gr

I appreciate the input

Oh, forgot this semi-important point... This is such a reduced load (2.88-2.94 clays) that it requires a 14lb Wolff super light spring to cycle my XDm.

You'll have to develop your load a bit. Don't load more than 10 or 20 this light without firing to make sure they work for you! ; )

After 6 different powders I ended up with an 8lb jug of Autocomp. Lots of people Spockbrow me when I tell them what powder I'm using. It's cheap super clean, great in my G35 with 180gr FMJs, and makes major PF at the low end of the scale not the top end.

I appreciate all the input; I have prepared 15 test cartridges using 3.7gr of Clays, OAL of 1.125; I am starting with a 155gr plated bullet rather than the 180's (just for now). I will be testing these within the next couple of days and see how that works. I do believe I will try another powder just to have some variety.

• 2 weeks later...