Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open gun not shooting as flat as i'd like

finz08

Hey i need a little help

I recently bought a sti 2011 short block kit from freedom gun works, its absolutely beautiful work. I'm having trouble getting it to shoot as flat as i know it can. Here's what i have

i had the slide lightened(tri top, front cerations)

bedell titanium comp(Three ports on top, two ports on each side)

Schuemann barrel

tungsten guid rod with 10lb recoil spring

I'm shooting 38 super 124gr montana golds at around 1350 fps. Also bullets are tumbling

Any help would be great, the whole gun is brand new only about 1000 rounds through it.

Thanks again

Edited by finz08

Hello: The Bedell comp likes the power factor up around 171-173. Using a 9lb ISMI recoil spring and ditch the tungston guide rod before it breaks. Check the comp to make sure the bullets are not contacting it. The Schuemann and Bedell is a good setup with the threads matching very well. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Fgw fit the barrel and comp. when I got done shooting the comp was loose from the barrel. The guns getting the trigger worked on so I can't check the inside of the comp for strikes. Also I was thinking about milling off one of the front side ports... Thought?

Edited by finz08

I would wait until the comp is back on securely and then see if the bullets are still tumbling.

Then I would try different powders before cutting on the comp.

After that, maybe you can have someone else fire the gun and see what it looks like and what the shooter says.

Hello: Send the pistol back to whoever fit the barrel and comp. That should not happen with a pistol with only 1000 rounds through it. If the comp came loose on the barrel then that is your problem with keyholing. A note on springs is that the Wolff brand springs are heavier than the ISMI springs. So a 7.5lb Wolff is really a 9lb spring or close to it. Thanks, Eric

What Eric said. Call Bobby, get the comp squared away and get to ground zero. What you have is a good combo. Avoid the Open division's siren on the rocks song of changing lots of stuff because you can. Been there, done the, got the scars. After that play with powders. If you want uber-flat (not saying that is the be all-end all) get some 115 projectiles and either N105 if the cost and a messy shellplate don't bother you or 4756. Beyond that work on technique.

Just my .02.

Edited by Neomet

I have seen other guns come out of that shop with poorly fitted barrel/comp setups were the bullets were striking the comp and causing tumbling issues. Just saying......

Check crimp though. How about posting pics of your loaded rounds? That may tell a tale in itself.

Is the bottom of the comp relieved where the front end of the guide rod won't hit it in recoil? I have a tanfo that did that pretty bad. Made a ball cut on the underside of the comp and it cleared up the tumbling issues.

I can tell you that Bobby does not put threadlocker on the comp, although he does recommend it. Apparently some customers wanted the ability to remove the comp. Also, try running the power factor up to the 175 range. My dot bounces all over the place with 124gr bullets at a 165PF, but with 115gr bullets at a 175PF, its flat as can be