Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wait for Bar-Sto or go with KKM or Storm Lake?

open67

The Bar-Sto barrels in my Glocks were just awesome. I tested all comers and nothing was their match, so I obviously wanted a Bar-Sto. I've been told one thing by Bar-Sto at SHOT (twice now) and then Apex has said something different here. I gave up and got a KKM.

here is a quote from Randy on m4carbine forum

posted on AUG 28 2012

Hi all,

I am anxiously awaiting the 9mm version production proof barrel. It should arrive here any day now.

The .40 barrels are producing some excellent accuracy at the 10-15 yard range. Scott and I took the .40 FS out independently to check function. We both confirmed that with Fed 180 fmj, our off-hand groups were between .5" to .75" for five shots.

As soon as I receive the 9mm barrels (and we shoot them for functional reliability) we will do some 25 yard data collection.

We are getting closer!

-Randy

posted on AUG 28 2012

Hi all,

I am anxiously awaiting the 9mm version production proof barrel. It should arrive here any day now.

The .40 barrels are producing some excellent accuracy at the 10-15 yard range. Scott and I took the .40 FS out independently to check function. We both confirmed that with Fed 180 fmj, our off-hand groups were between .5" to .75" for five shots.

As soon as I receive the 9mm barrels (and we shoot them for functional reliability) we will do some 25 yard data collection.

We are getting closer!

-Randy

Off hand groups of 1/2 to 3/4"..... :ph34r:

The minute I get a kkm the bar sto will come out. I know it.

You know... I had the same fear before I bought my KKM...

... about 6 months ago. ;)

I'll get the BarSto when it comes out almost certainly, but in the meantime, the KKM has done all I've asked of it and more.

Here's essentially what I've been able to gather, through personal experience and those of people I know, as well as what I've read here and there on the glorious Interwebz:

If you've got a load that groups "acceptably" in your M&P, the KKM is going to shrink said group (or be more accurate with another load that you may need to re-discover.)

If you've got a gun that won't print better than 5" @ 25 yards, you need to address your load before you worry about a new barrel.

If you've got a gun that prints notably worse than 5" @ 25 yards (ESPECIALLY with vertical stringing), you've got a lemon-- S&W may or may not be able/willing to sort it out for you.

I am a FIRM believer that the load itself is the most important part of the equation for the M&P 9mm's slow barrel twist-- specifically, a fast burn rate with a projectile that has LOTS of bearing surface. Once you get that down, the KKM will really let you punch one ragged hole...

I am a FIRM believer that the load itself is the most important part of the equation for the M&P 9mm's slow barrel twist-- specifically, a fast burn rate with a projectile that has LOTS of bearing surface. Once you get that down, the KKM will really let you punch one ragged hole...

I've been running 180 precision delta and titegroup with great success. I tried some vv320 and accuracy went to shit. Its been raining all week so I haven't had a chance to play around with it. That makes sense about the fast powder then.

I see a kkm barrel in my future.

I've been running 180 precision delta and titegroup with great success. I tried some vv320 and accuracy went to shit. Its been raining all week so I haven't had a chance to play around with it. That makes sense about the fast powder then.

I thought the subject was 9mm. I am not aware of a 9mm 180gr. The PD you are talking about, according to PD's website is only available in 40 S&W. Hmmmmmm.....

So.....do you want to share specific loads on the 40 S&W with N320 so that we all do not have to reinvent the wheel or make the same mistake?

I thought the subject was 9mm. I am not aware of a 9mm 180gr. The PD you are talking about, according to PD's website is only available in 40 S&W. Hmmmmmm.....

So.....do you want to share specific loads on the 40 S&W with N320 so that we all do not have to reinvent the wheel or make the same mistake?

The topic says "to wait for bar sto or go with kkm or storm lake"

If there is a subtopic I can't see it because I'm using a smartphone to post.

I think the topic applies whether its 9mm or 40. If thats ok with you.

The load was 180 pd flatpoints with 5.0 gr of vv320 seated to 1.135. Barely making major too.

I can't really speak to the accuracy of the .40 platforms, although I was fairly certain the problems were almost exclusively in the 9mm.

I can say they don't exist for the .45 either, as my 4.5" shoots STUPID groups with crummy factory stuff.

Would like to get a 9mm barrel for my M&P 9L. Would like to know which barrel you would prefer or if you would wait for the Apex-Bar-Sto. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your load data as I will be trying to work up a load for the 40 S&W in the future and am interested in what other people are loading.

The subject line was about barrel manufactorers. In the OP first post he went on to describe that he would like to get a 9mm barrel. So therefore, the subject is 9mm barrels.

Would like to get a 9mm barrel for my M&P 9L. Would like to know which barrel you would prefer or if you would wait for the Apex-Bar-Sto. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your load data as I will be trying to work up a load for the 40 S&W in the future and am interested in what other people are loading.

The subject line was about barrel manufactorers. In the OP first post he went on to describe that he would like to get a 9mm barrel. So therefore, the subject is 9mm barrels.

40 or 9, it really doesn't matter. Close enough, stop being anal.

posted on AUG 28 2012

Hi all,

We are getting closer!

-Randy

Off hand groups of 1/2 to 3/4"..... :ph34r:

A really good shooter, with good gun, load, ect. can do under an inch at 25 yards, on demand.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. :roflol:

Well I heard from Grant at GandR Tactical that they should have it sorted out by Sept 15th, in a few days. Unless he's working on Sat., which he might be because of how many people are interested. I think it'd be safer to say by next week they'll have them in.

I'm planning on getting the M&P9 FS and the Storm Lake custom fitted option, decided to wait until these came out. However, who knows how many people are ahead of me and how long the wait will be. Since I just started reloading, a whole two full live rounds to get the feel for the 650, a lot I know (no point in more without the gun to go with it). Done numerous with no powder though, probably just end up throwing away the bullets if I damage them too much by pulling them (can't get that damn Hornady bullet puller die to work maybe since .356 bullets). I guess if it'll be a fair amount of time, I might just order the 9mm as is and take a chance to see how mine shoots.

A better decision might be if it's well over a month until my turn for the custom fitted barrel, since I already have 3 M&P9 mags, maybe I'll just get the M&P40 FS and get a 9mm conversion barrel for it instead. Spending the same amount of money for the barrel, or close, won't be as accurate but will be close enough hopefully. I just will never shoot the 40 with regular factory ammo though, will have to be sub minor to minor PF loads though.

Edited by PC Geek Shooter

Well I heard from Grant at GandR Tactical that they should have it sorted out by Sept 15th, in a few days. Unless he's working on Sat., which he might be because of how many people are interested. I think it'd be safer to say by next week they'll have them in.

I'm planning on getting the M&P9 FS and the Storm Lake custom fitted option, decided to wait until these came out. However, who knows how many people are ahead of me and how long the wait will be. Since I just started reloading, a whole two full live rounds to get the feel for the 650, a lot I know (no point in more without the gun to go with it). Done numerous with no powder though, probably just end up throwing away the bullets if I damage them too much by pulling them (can't get that damn Hornady bullet puller die to work maybe since .356 bullets). I guess if it'll be a fair amount of time, I might just order the 9mm as is and take a chance to see how mine shoots.

A better decision might be if it's well over a month until my turn for the custom fitted barrel, since I already have 3 M&P9 mags, maybe I'll just get the M&P40 FS and get a 9mm conversion barrel for it instead. Spending the same amount of money for the barrel, or close, won't be as accurate but will be close enough hopefully. I just will never shoot the 40 with regular factory ammo though, will have to be sub minor to minor PF loads though.

I saw his post on M&P forums that he claims sub 1" groups at 25 yards with HIS gun that he fitted a bbl to, but, I've been waiting for feedback from other people that actually had him install barrels, to see what kind of groups they were getting, but, so far, all has been quiet. :surprise:

I now have several 1000 rounds through my KKM barrel and many more than that through the original factory barrel. The KKM does give me a little better accuracy than stock and I am very happy with it.

But when a fitted barrel is available I will definately jump on it.