Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCW Permit for my daughter in NYC?

Brian B

My daughter and her boyfriend are medical students from Canada and will be studying surgery as interns in a hospital in New York City. They will have B1 student visas. They expect to work long hours and return home late at night in the Bronks area. My daughter has been shooting pistols and revolvers with me since she was 10 and her boyfriend is also proficient. I have recommended they should protect themselves. Does anyone know how they may go about getting their CCW permits? Thanks

Edited by Brian B

My daughter and her boyfriend are medical students from Canada and will be studying surgery as interns in a hospital in New York City. They will have B1 student visas. They expect to work long hours and return home late at night in the Bronks area. My daughter has been shooting pistols and revolvers with me since she was 10 and her boyfriend is also proficient. I have recommended they should protect themselves. Does anyone know how they may go about getting their CCW permits? Thanks

Damn near impossible.

Edited by alecmc

Ccw in NY?

Hahahahahhahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahaahahaahahahaa.

Not to be a dick but welcome to life in the NJ/NY area. We are subjects here. They openly trash our Constitutional rights.

Nj and Ny are ranked in the top 3 of the least free states. California is in there too.

America starts at the Pennsylvania border.

Edited by Babaganoosh

The answer is actually easier than you guys mentioned, since non-resident aliens cannot possess firearms anywhere in the United States.

I'm not an expert on New York, but I don't think I'd want to be walking around anywhere near Harlem or the Bronx at night.

Perhaps she should reconsider where she is going.

If she were a US resident, a NY/ NYC resident, she would have close to zero percent chance of getting a carry permit. She would be able to get a permit that allowed her to keep a handgun at home or use one at a range (even that I'm fuzzy on because NYC's rules are odd) , with all the waits, fees and hoop jumping that go along with it.

Her uncertain resident status (of NY/NYC , not even the US) certainly wouldn't make it any easier.

My daughter from Canada and will be studying in New York City. Does anyone know how they may go about getting their CCW permits?

Brian, since it is impossible for them to carry firearms, there are only

two alternatives:

1. awareness

2. knowledge

They'll join 8 million other people who live in NYC - have to stay alert

and stay out of certain areas, esp at certain times of the day/night. :cheers:

Is it still legal to possess a letter opener in NY? What about a toilet plunger??? heard they can be pretty dangerous if left in a bowl. I'm surprised Bloomberg hasn't outlawed kitchen knives yet. This is precisely why I am a Canadian Ex-Pat living in FLORIDA!!! No emissions testing, great weather, and the citizens of Jacksonville celebrate when a CCW wastes a bad guy. I will never understand how a country with one constitution can have such varying gun laws state to state (CA, NY-VT, NH). I'll stick to the South thanks.

Is it still legal to possess a letter opener in NY?

Not too important, but there are two different New Yorks - New York City,

vs the rest of the state.

I live "upstate" where our local judge thinks it's a good idea for

all "good guys" to carry - so he hands out CCW permits like beer :rolleyes:

NYC is a whole different breed - my son-in-law is a local LEO, and HE CAN'T

carry in NYC :surprise:

The entire state of NJ is almost as bad as NYC - even the rural sections.

Is it still legal to possess a letter opener in NY?

Not too important, but there are two different New Yorks - New York City,

vs the rest of the state.

I live "upstate" where our local judge thinks it's a good idea for

all "good guys" to carry - so he hands out CCW permits like beer :rolleyes:

NYC is a whole different breed - my son-in-law is a local LEO, and HE CAN'T

carry in NYC :surprise:

The entire state of NJ is almost as bad as NYC - even the rural sections.

My apologies, I was totally referring to NYCesspool. I went to visit friends there who lived on Manhattan. On the way out of the city we stopped at a gas station where the attendants were speaking Spanish. My girlfriend was fluent, and looked at me terrified and said "Let's get the hell out of here!!!" Turns out the guys at the station were expounding on the Canadians and how easily they could make us disappear, how much fun it would be to take turns raping my girlfriend, while I was tied up and forced to watch. Nice city, think I'll keep a wide berth and go through friendly Pennsylvania if necessary. As for the OP, there are lot's of great opportunities here in FL for medical interns. I'd be glad to take them shooting as well.

The answer is actually easier than you guys mentioned, since non-resident aliens cannot possess firearms anywhere in the United States.

I'm not an expert on New York, but I don't think I'd want to be walking around anywhere near Harlem or the Bronx at night.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2012/06/07/2012-13762/firearms-disabilities-for-certain-nonimmigrant-aliens-2001r-332p

It's not quite as simple as that. However if the students are in the US on a visa instead of a waiver, it looks like they are still SOL.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2012/06/07/2012-13762/firearms-disabilities-for-certain-nonimmigrant-aliens-2001r-332p

It's not quite as simple as that. However if the students are in the US on a visa instead of a waiver, it looks like they are still SOL.

It actually is almost simple as that, and here's the ATF's pamphlet on the topic:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-18.pdf

There are exceptions, but the general rule is that nonimmigrant aliens may not possess firearms in the United States.

Nothing about the law is ever simple, but the policy behind not allowing nonimmigrant aliens to possess firearms is pretty straightforward, as are the exceptions. Self defense isn't among them.

Edited by twodownzero

Unless you are very well connected to the political establishment or to a senior member of the police department who is a fmaily friend you have a better chance of winning the lotto every day.

My daughter did her residency at Yale in New Haven, CT. rather than in NYC.

Edited by TonyT

There are ways to get permits. It's the Bronx by the way. You need special letters and special recommendations-doctors with doctors bags have always been legitimate needs. These things go high up. However, being a native of New York City and having worked at different ER's over the years, there are two ways that I would handle this. 1 Having a car service-not a taxi-take your daughter home. 2 Stop by the local precinct and discuss your dilemma-this should be done by your daughter. It is often possible to have a patrol car drop her off. The ER doctors and NYPD are usually on the same wavelength. It depends on where she lives-I would not recommend living in the Bronx unless you really know the area and someone who lives there. So, car service is probably best bet. The reason that permits are so hard to get in NY is that the background you are shooting against is a jammed up city with 8-10 million people with lots of distractions. You have to show proficiency and target discrimination.This kind of training is hard to come by. The NYPD is notorious for shooting their own undercover officers. Their training is not good in shooting. Even a highly trained operator would have trouble in a street hassle. Given my choice, a Smith and Wesson Ladysmith would be the best. In a special handbag. Good luck.

https://www.federalr...iens-2001r-332p

It actually is almost simple as that, and here's the ATF's pamphlet on the topic:

http://www.atf.gov/p...f-p-5300-18.pdf

There are exceptions, but the general rule is that nonimmigrant aliens may not possess firearms in the United States.

Nothing about the law is ever simple, but the policy behind not allowing nonimmigrant aliens to possess firearms is pretty straightforward, as are the exceptions. Self defense isn't among them.

The pamphlet you linked was last updated in 2005.

My link is a recent revision clarifying some of the issues we've been touching on. It's brutally wordy. Some of the logic is tortured. It's scope is limited to just those non-immigrant aliens who are legally present in the US and who do not require a visa.

Heck, you can't even get her a taser...

NEW YORK: Illegal New York Consolidated Law (McKinney’s) Book 39. Penal Law. Article 265. Firearms and Other Dangerous Weapons 265.00 15-a. "Electronic dart gun" means any device designed primarily as a weapon, the purpose of which is to momentarily stun, knock out or paralyze a person by passing an electrical shock to such person by means of a dart or projectile. 15-c. "Electronic stun gun" means any device designed primarily as a weapon, the purpose of which is to momentarily stun, cause mental disorientation, knock out or paralyze a person by passing a high voltage electrical shock to such person. Article 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree. A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when: (1) He possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun; or SUMMARY: Possession is banned of Stunning Devices in New York. Includes the TASER, stun gun, stun baton and cell phone stun gun. Personal alarms are an effective means of personal defense.

• 2 weeks later...

well been raice in harlem and in the bronx for 22 years is not as bad as you all think their habe been a big change since the 90s but is still nyc ill be more afreid of cops then thiff my $0.02

Heck, you can't even get her a taser...

NEW YORK: Illegal New York Consolidated Law (McKinney’s) Book 39. Penal Law. Article 265. Firearms and Other Dangerous Weapons 265.00 15-a. "Electronic dart gun" means any device designed primarily as a weapon, the purpose of which is to momentarily stun, knock out or paralyze a person by passing an electrical shock to such person by means of a dart or projectile. 15-c. "Electronic stun gun" means any device designed primarily as a weapon, the purpose of which is to momentarily stun, cause mental disorientation, knock out or paralyze a person by passing a high voltage electrical shock to such person. Article 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree. A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when: (1) He possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun; or SUMMARY: Possession is banned of Stunning Devices in New York. Includes the TASER, stun gun, stun baton and cell phone stun gun. Personal alarms are an effective means of personal defense.

Wtf, good thing all these laws keep us safe from criminals who follow the law so well :rolleyes:

At least we can still carry rape whistles