Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First loads problem with primer

I posted this in the 9mm forum but thought I should have posted here so here goes. I loaded a few rds to test in my 9mm's today. This was my first time loading on my new 650 and I had a few problems. I got most everything worked out but I am still having problems with high primers. I will run a few and they will be fine and then get one seated high. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thanks and sorry for the double post

Doyle

I posted this in the 9mm forum but thought I should have posted here so here goes. I loaded a few rds to test in my 9mm's today. This was my first time loading on my new 650 and I had a few problems. I got most everything worked out but I am still having problems with high primers. I will run a few and they will be fine and then get one seated high. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thanks and sorry for the double post

Doyle

The only thing I can think of is you are not pulling all the way down on the operating handle.

Doyle

The only thing I can think of is you are not pulling all the way down on the operating handle.

for 650, its pushing all the way up. 1050, seating primers are down stroke.

What i used to do, and it became a habit, is when i end my upstroke, I go back and push it 1 more. Going fast may cause incomplete seating. Now, on those high primers, did you try and re-seat them? When I had that happen I just put it back on station 2 and push the lever. Feel if there is any resistance. Hope this helps.

Check to see how much wobble you have on the shell plate. With fingers on opposite sides of the shell plate see if you can wobble the plate. There should be next to none.

Pat

Edited by Pat Miles

I hate reloading. I get going and want to be done so I run the crap out of my 650. As a result I have tuned and polished the SH/T out of it. Still get high primers. So I pull all mt comp ammo and put it in my ammo boxes, bullet down. I then run my finger over them, pull the high primers. And reseat with my ribs universal hand primer, end result, no high primers at matches.

OK got one question OK maybe two ,

have you called dillion let them trouble shoot it with you bet , they stop high primers, if some work and some dont has to be an adjustment something not adjusted right , mine was the base plate too loose , but that was on RL550B .

the other as Torogi said :

Now, on those high primers, did you try and re-seat them? When I had that happen I just put it back on station 2 and push the lever. Feel if there is any resistance. Hope this helps.

hey if you hate reloading want to sell your 650 cheap sorry couldn't resist .

I hate reloading because it is monotonous. I reload so I can afford to shoot. The reason I get high primers is because I want to be done with it so I start pushing the darn thing faster, I mean what is the point of having an 800 round an hour press unless you push it to 800/hr? That's how you get high primers. It takes an extra 5 minutes to check comp ammo for high primers.

Ps. Even running the dog snot out of my 650 I am still getting a 18 fps velocity spread, dropping clays, 0 ftf, oal variance is .004 (out of 20 I just measured). Thank you dillon, BE, 1911smith (barf.com), and lee love at unique tech.

I hate reloading. I get going and want to be done so I run the crap out of my 650. As a result I have tuned and polished the SH/T out of it. Still get high primers. So I pull all mt comp ammo and put it in my ammo boxes, bullet down. I then run my finger over them, pull the high primers. And reseat with my ribs universal hand primer, end result, no high primers at matches.

I'm to shit scared to seat high primers on completed rounds :surprise:

Thanks everyone for the advise. I have found the problem and it is ME. I was not useing enough force at the end of the upstroke but I think I have that worked out now. I loaded more test rds and everything went well so I now have 12rds each loaded with 124fmj PD bullets at 3.6,3.8,4.0 and 4.2gr of v320 at 1.140 oal. I don't care about PF now just looking for a good range load. Thanks again for the help

Doyle

With the "two-step push" you will get to a point where you can tell if it is a crimped piece of brass and stop in time to remove it, swage/ream the crimp and still use the primer. ....and you will learn what .38 super brass and .380 auto brass feels like in your press compared to 9mm :cheers:

Just remember, never muscle anything, stop immediately and look at each station if you feel you need more force.

..Thanks everyone for the advise. I have found the problem and it is ME. I was not useing enough force at the end of the upstroke but I think I have that worked out now. ...

With a new XL650, after about 1,000 rounds I suddenly had high primers as well. I found two solutions: first, I did as you suggested, and just improved my upstroke to firmly seat the primer.

The second solution was to tighten the shellplate, as Dillon instructs in the troubleshooting section of the manual. My shellplate was a little loose, and I think the brass-tipped setscrew was where the problem started, because it was a bit loose. I removed and cleaned the shell plate and put just a small thin film of Slide Glide (regular) grease along the path on the bottom of the shellplate where it contacts the ball bearing. I tightened the shellplate to where it would not move, then loosened it just enough to get it to rotate smoothly. Then I tightened down the brass-tipped set screw.

The result: no more high primers, and less powder spillage.......

until I loaded about another box of ammo, got sloppy with the upstroke, and then had to concentrate on the upstroke again.

My conclusion: a nice firm shellplate is helpful, but a firm upstroke is vital.

Chris

Edited by cohland