Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Racer vs CR speed Pouch

Ssanders224

So, I searched around a little, but did not see any recent comparisons of the plastic DAA "Racer" mag pouches, and CR Speeds?

I need some new pouches for a limited setup, and just dont see spending the $60 on the Racemasters.

SO, my question is, does anyone have experience with the plastic DAAs vs the CR speeds? Which is a better buy/performs better?

Also, are the DAA "Racers", and "Racemasters" the same dimensions? The only DAA plastics ones Ive seen looked a bit bulky.

I swapped over from Crspeed to DAA racers. I am much happier with the Racers I really like the adjustable tension on the mags. With the Crspeed holders I was always leaving a trail of mags behind me when running on a stage I find the racers much more secure especially with the 170's.

I have not used any DAA pouches. I'm sure they're fine. I have the cr speed Versa pouches. They work good! I have never lost a mag. The pouches have a tension knob. I used them for Glock mags and now using them for STI mags.

ymmv

I think the CRSpeeds are utter junk. I've had them for a while and have spun the body on the bracket multiple times and the inserts fit poorly. Much like their holster it looks better than it is.

The DAA Racemaster is outstanding but the price is out of my budget, which is why I own exactly one. I haven't tried the racer, but I probably will.

I bought 1 of each on the daa, I prefer the plastic racer over the alum one.feels just as smooth and half the price

the quality is a lot better than the cr

Edited by juan

• 1 month later...

I really like DAA stuff and I have a Racemaster holster but, the CR Speed Versa pouches are solid. I have used CR Speed Versas for single stack, limited, and open with great results. The individual adjustability is great and they stick to my DAA belt pretty well, especially if you drive in the little stops. I have not personally used the DAA Racer pouches but anything Saul Kirsch puts his name on is most likely a safe bet.

I'm a recent convert too. I was happy with my CR Speed Pouches, but as soon as I tried the Racers, there was no turning back. Much smoother release AND firmer hold (go figure, I didn't think you could have both) and the belt attachment is far superior in my opinion. It's easier to adjust and provides a more solid inner belt attachment then the CR Speeds even with industrial velcro on the back. Additionally, there is no need to fiddle with getting them to stay put (especially when dealing with the CR belts). I've already sold off all of my CR Speed pouches. I wouldn't hestitate to recommend the CR Speed pouches, but in my book, the Racers beat them in every category.

I'm a recent convert too. I was happy with my CR Speed Pouches, but as soon as I tried the Racers, there was no turning back. Much smoother release AND firmer hold (go figure, I didn't think you could have both) and the belt attachment is far superior in my opinion. It's easier to adjust and provides a more solid inner belt attachment then the CR Speeds even with industrial velcro on the back. Additionally, there is no need to fiddle with getting them to stay put (especially when dealing with the CR belts). I've already sold off all of my CR Speed pouches. I wouldn't hestitate to recommend the CR Speed pouches, but in my book, the Racers beat them in every category.

That was exactly my experience.

My experience mirrors that of Jonathan. Very slick and smooth release, but I can turn my belt upside down and the mags don't fall out. Because the release and the retention is so good, I did away with the big adjuster knobs and replaced them with screws held in place with a jamb nut. I know I never plan on adjusting them, and this way, there is no chance of them adjusting themselves.

My experience mirrors that of Jonathan. Very slick and smooth release, but I can turn my belt upside down and the mags don't fall out. Because the release and the retention is so good, I did away with the big adjuster knobs and replaced them with screws held in place with a jamb nut. I know I never plan on adjusting them, and this way, there is no chance of them adjusting themselves.

Sounds interesting. Got any pics you'd be willing to share? :)

Hopefully you can see what is going on in the pics. The screw is threaded through the existing brass insert in the plastic, and adjusted to the proper length. Then a nylon lock nut is threaded on, to lock everything down.

I should say there is one very minor problem with these pouches. Every once in a while the plastic insert will slip out of position. If your mag ever feels loose in the pouch, push up on the insert from the bottom and it will snap back into place.

IMG_5043.jpg

IMG_5042.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

I use CR Speed pouches for Glock mags, I am not impressed with the quality. They seem to be somewhat inconsistent, one of mine would not fit at all until I took a Dremel to it and took off a decent amount of material off of it. It's still tight even with the adjustment screw removed completely. I will be looking to replace them soon, I have heard good things about the DAA's and also Ghost pouches.

Thanks for kind comment and reviews. We are proud of our Racer pouches, and doubly so reading your reviews.

By the way, i am considering making a dedicated single stack version of the racer pouches. What do you guys think? Should we take the plunge and make the investment? We do offer single stack adaptors for the RM and Racer pouches, but a slim dedicated single stack pouch would just be so cool. Any comment would be appreciated.

Saul

Thanks for kind comment and reviews. We are proud of our Racer pouches, and doubly so reading your reviews.

By the way, i am considering making a dedicated single stack version of the racer pouches. What do you guys think? Should we take the plunge and make the investment? We do offer single stack adaptors for the RM and Racer pouches, but a slim dedicated single stack pouch would just be so cool. Any comment would be appreciated.

Saul

I know I've said it before, but thank you for giving us products to write great reviews about. :D:cheers:

I think that would be a great option for dedicated single stack rigs, but I personally prefer just using the current insert option. More versatility without taking on much additional bulk. I'm sure there are more die hard single stack guys that would be interested though.

• 8 months later...

I've been generally happy with both my CR Speed and DAA Racer pouches.

I initially started with the CR Speed pouches and like their low profile and open groove down the front of the mag. The shallow side-to-side tension, however, is not ideal for magazines with a long taper (such as my SV limited mags). They work particularly well for Glock and CZ mags and still leave plenty of the mag to grab.

More recently, I converted my Limited and 3gun rig to the DAA Racer Pouches. The front to back tension holds the SV mags more securely and makes for a smooth release. The low profile belt attachment system is also a big plus over the CR Speed and doesn't materially shorten the length of the outer belt. My primary complaint is with the adjustable leaf spring (between the rear contact plate and adjustment screw). When the mag carrier is adjusted for proper tension, the spring and contact plate rattle without a mag inserted. I have also found that the glock mags seem to fit between the two sizes of contact plates provided, leaving almost no room for tension adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also found that the glock mags seem to fit between the two sizes of contact plates provided, leaving almost no room for tension adjustment.

You can either take the larger of the spacers and sand them down a couple mm to accomdate Glock mags or contact Saul at DAA and have him send you some already machined down ones.

What mags are you going to be using them for? I tried the DAA Racers for my Glock mags and neither insert fit them right. It was either falling out or just about stuck in there. I switched to the Ghost 360 pouches and prefer them to the others.

I have also found that the glock mags seem to fit between the two sizes of contact plates provided, leaving almost no room for tension adjustment.

You can either take the larger of the spacers and sand them down a couple mm to accomdate Glock mags or contact Saul at DAA and have him send you some already machined down ones.

It would be nice if they had stock ones for glock, it's not like its an uncommon gun in USPSA. I spent half hour or so modifying

my 5 when they came in but that's mainly because after the belt sander I hit them with a few other grits by hand to polish them back to smooth. Other than that I'm happy with mine after a few matches.