Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot or no dot?

KentG

I know in this thread everyone is a open gun guy and uses a dot. Have any of you guys gone back and forth from dot to iron sights? I have a RTS on a Carver mount on my XD for multigun and Im thinking real hard about going back to irons. I would have to reinstall the front FO but thats not a big deal. I had to take a few weeks off for sickness and shot a match without having picked up a pistol for a month. Horrible. Constantly hunting the dot and had a lot of bad issues. Went back later in the week a few days and got better but Im not sure if its worth it for me. Im going to shoot this weekend in a match and use my XD tactical 45 with irons and try to make up my mind.

Anyone else just go back to irons and have better luck?

Edited by Kent Grewe

I shot open for half a season and i had a blast. The reason why I ditched open was the cost so I shot production. Im a fairly new shooter when I shot open so i have to spend a lot of hours doing dry fire.. well.. same thing with irons.. No dot tracking but tracking the sight bouncing is a challenge too.

I will be shooting open tomorrow's match and until I finish up my last 800 rounds of reloaded open ammo. With irons I can switch back and fort with Lim, Prod and SS.

I can swap back and forth between irons and the dot. If your new to the dot, it does help to do dryfire to keep your index for the dot in check. While not an option for the xd, there are guys running 90 degree mounts to keep the dot low to the barrel so its closer to that of iron sights. Mine is a std verticle mount and it took getting use to at first but once you learn the index its not bad going back and forth

I find the regular C-More has a nice visual indicator: put the dot module in the bottom of the glass and the dot'll be there. The DeltaPoint, Aimpoint Micro, and C-More RTS all lack such indicators.

I know in this thread everyone is a open gun guy and uses a dot. Have any of you guys gone back and forth from dot to iron sights? I have a RTS on a Carver mount on my XD for multigun and Im thinking real hard about going back to irons. I would have to reinstall the front FO but thats not a big deal. I had to take a few weeks off for sickness and shot a match without having picked up a pistol for a month. Horrible. Constantly hunting the dot and had a lot of bad issues. Went back later in the week a few days and got better but Im not sure if its worth it for me. Im going to shoot this weekend in a match and use my XD tactical 45 with irons and try to make up my mind.

I would rather not have a comp than not have a dot. The dot is worth its weight in gold on longer shots. I think you need to try a Delta point or a C MOre as its much easier to find the dot also try pushing the muzzle high on the draw and dipping it down as you reach extension. You will find the dot every time doing this as it crosses your field of view. I was taught this from one of our master class open guys.

Pat

I would rather not have a comp than not have a dot. The dot is worth its weight in gold on longer shots. I think you need to try a Delta point or a C MOre as its much easier to find the dot also try pushing the muzzle high on the draw and dipping it down as you reach extension. You will find the dot every time doing this as it crosses your field of view. I was taught this from one of our master class open guys.

Pat

I actually got rid of the SlideRide for the RTS because it sits lower and the POI doesnt spread as much from near to far. I like the idea that DIEHLI has about the dot module and I need to see if the RTS has something to compare. Maybe its just a matter of more dryfire and practice.

I just looked at the RTS that's mounted on my .22 and there really isn't any easy reference point like on the regular C-More. Easiest thing I saw to do was to move the rear portion up into the glass after you see the switch. Best bet, though, is more dryfire so your index is burned into your muscle memory.

My open gun has a sideways mount for the C-More and when I got use to it, I found it easier when switching to production and shooting iron sights.

With the sideways mount, I found out I needed to raise the gun up higher to see the dot. I think this is why it's not a big deal to now use iron sights.

I played with it today some and I already have it off, the Dawson FO back in it that Springer Precision installed. I just cant find a pic that shows where the very small spring and the detent go on the rear since its not just a dovetail style. For now the RTS goes on the shelf but I may sell it or trade it in a month or so. I can still use my 28+1 mags in 3 gun and will use the CRSpeed holster for the moment. Maybe get a Bladetech DOH.

Thanks for the input. I got some more today which seems evenly split and had the same issues I did. IF I were using this and dedicated to practice and dryfire it would probably get better but Im better off working with Irons I think.

I just looked at the RTS that's mounted on my .22 and there really isn't any easy reference point like on the regular C-More. Easiest thing I saw to do was to move the rear portion up into the glass after you see the switch. Best bet, though, is more dryfire so your index is burned into your muscle memory.

Might try... as you press out to extension, align the top of the muzzle with the top of the optic.

• 4 weeks later...

Open is a beast that must be tamed with tons of practice and dry firing. The advandage of having a dot is only helpful if you can find it fast and keep it there. I would stay the course and dry fire a bunch until the dot is always there.

I played with it today some and I already have it off, the Dawson FO back in it that Springer Precision installed. I just cant find a pic that shows where the very small spring and the detent go on the rear since its not just a dovetail style. For now the RTS goes on the shelf but I may sell it or trade it in a month or so. I can still use my 28+1 mags in 3 gun and will use the CRSpeed holster for the moment. Maybe get a Bladetech DOH.

Thanks for the input. I got some more today which seems evenly split and had the same issues I did. IF I were using this and dedicated to practice and dryfire it would probably get better but Im better off working with Irons I think.

When I first started shooting open pistol I struggled with the dot but a few things have helped me get past that to where I can shoot much faster than when I started. Like Flex said push the gun out muzzle up slightly and you will find the dot as the muzzle comes down at your full extension. Another is just a lot of practice. I use my 22 pistol set up with a dot for that and now drawing and finding the dot is no problem.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

With a sideways mounted C-More you can get the dot super low. I am primarily a Limited and SS shooter but I have had no problems transitioning besides the usual adjustment time it takes. Adjusting a sideways C-More isn't necessarily hard but sometimes it can present a challenge.. A dot does tend to show you all the errors you make in movement where iron sights leave certain mistakes less observable.

• 1 month later...