Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

grips removed uspsa legal

ddpenn

I have been having problems with mags dropping free and this weekend I got frustrated and took off the grips and shot without them. I actually like the feel of the gun without grips.

My question is whether you need grips to be uspsa production legal?

if you removed the grips and they started dropping free, check that your grip screws or grips aren't touching your mags somehow. Do they just come partially out? you may also have the first round walking out on you at the top of the mag if it's hanging there. Do you have a drop-free mag brake?

I would say not legal in Production. Why?

APPENDIX D4 — Production Division

22 Specifically prohibited

modifications and features

Please note that the absence of an item in the list of

prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to

mean a modification is allowed. A modification is

only allowed in Production Division if there is a rules

clause or interpretation which specifically declares

that it is allowed in the Division

22.2 Grips – any addition or

removal of material which

changes the factory profile

— Unless specifically authorized above, modifications are prohibited

— UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or

SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it

is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION.

Edited by Sarge

Thanks. I need to get a rule book.

Screws arent touching, and I have a drop free mag brake. The mags drop about an inch then jams. Not related to the rounds walking since it happens even with empty mags.

What I think is the problem is that the spring maybe pushes the mag break too far to the left of the pistol so when you hit the button the nub that locks into the mag clears, but the release is causing too much friction. I need about 2-3 hours sitting at the bench to experiment with this.

Also could be related to the mag release spring need to check that out as well.

I'm a little confused by 21.4 and 22.2.

21.4 seems to say that aftermarket grip panels can be used.

21.4 Grips For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4.

Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Revolver grips may be replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

See 22.2, below, for specifics with regard to modifications on revolver grips.

Edited by sperman

remove the slide and look into the magwell and make sure the release button is flush on the inside. also look to see where your magazines are wearing on its finish perhaps. when you pull it out, does it come out with almost no friction or are they held in there?

They get jammed in pretty good when they fail drop.

dang. both loaded and unloaded? what magazines are you using? does it come out easier if you repeatedly push the mag button? if it's a clearance issue you may need to file the backside of the button (the side you push with your thumb, not the mag retaining tab)

I think you are right about filing down the underside of the button. The problem happens with 10 and 15 round factory mags both. The 19's always seem to eject right, but I live in New Jersey so I cant use them.