Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choke or no Choke Open Class Shotgun?

Currently I am using a Saiga 12 with a compensator/polychoke combo: I did get my new Akdal and was wondering if I should go the same route again or no choke as I did hear from several sides that the Choke is not a good idea. Reason was that it makes you slower as you have to aim more. Any opinion on it?

Currently I am using a Saiga 12 with a compensator/polychoke combo: I did get my new Akdal and was wondering if I should go the same route again or no choke as I did hear from several sides that the Choke is not a good idea. Reason was that it makes you slower as you have to aim more. Any opinion on it?

You need various chokes depending on the course of fire. Long range steel will require you have a tighter choke to knock the steel down and close range clays will require a more open choke so you can be faster. I carry several chokes with me when I shoot and usually end up using Light modified and Improved modified.

You need various chokes depending on the course of fire. Long range steel will require you have a tighter choke to knock the steel down and close range clays will require a more open choke so you can be faster. I carry several chokes with me when I shoot and usually end up using Light modified and Improved modified.

i have a combo on my saiga. i have to turn the comp to change the choke. as the comp works best in one position i only turn it 360 so its open or close and nothing in between. shoot most open unless for slugs or pts are very close

LM seems to be my magic choke for anything/everything.

The problem I'm hearing with a polychoke is the POI on slugs can change when you adjust the choke.

Are you running a red dot?

99% of what I see at matches is IC,LM,M,seems like COF's are getting tougher and tougher,and yes you have to AIM!

the only reason to not have a choke in your gun is if it was free and it came that way. If you are buying something new, you need some chokes for it. different stages will require the need for different chokes, some for more aiming, some for less.

I sent my Akdal to Firebird and while waiting ordered Briley Chokes LM/IM. Firebird sent it with another aftermarket IM in it. Plus Akdal includes 3 OEM chokes as well if I remember. For the most part I just use the IM but have changed in a match once or twice. I was a S12 with Polychoke guy as well. Depends on how far you shoot steel.

I would have problems with steel at my local matches with no choke at all I think. Do your own testing at normal distances for steel etc.

Since you don't know what you will see at a match, you really need to have some different chokes in your bag. I shoot mostly a Mod in my Saiga, but I'm starting to use IC more often and Diffusion on close in stages. It seems like more matches are mixing close clays and far pieces of small steel in matches. I choke for the worst shot and aim as necessary.

Doug

the only reason to not have a choke in your gun is if it was free and it came that way. If you are buying something new, you need some chokes for it. different stages will require the need for different chokes, some for more aiming, some for less.

This was my opinion too but I did talk to a guy from one of the most renowened companies around here when it comes to IPSC shotguns. They do sponser most major events and have their own company team. He said that they dont use chokes as the disadvantages outweight the advantages. So I am not sure which route to go with my new build?

I sent my Akdal to Firebird and while waiting ordered Briley Chokes LM/IM. Firebird sent it with another aftermarket IM in it. Plus Akdal includes 3 OEM chokes as well if I remember. For the most part I just use the IM but have changed in a match once or twice. I was a S12 with Polychoke guy as well. Depends on how far you shoot steel.

I would have problems with steel at my local matches with no choke at all I think. Do your own testing at normal distances for steel etc.

Seems that I have a different version of the Akdal. No inside thread but and outside one. One choke was included but an outside one and also one flash hider

This was my opinion too but I did talk to a guy from one of the most renowened companies around here when it comes to IPSC shotguns. They do sponser most major events and have their own company team. He said that they dont use chokes as the disadvantages outweight the advantages. So I am not sure which route to go with my new build?

That might be the case in Europe, but it's definitely not the case in the US. Hopefully some of our Euros can steer you in the right direction!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I run modified in mine for shot, slugs and buckshot. Just shot the proam and took some shots longer than others did and did not have one plate turn or fail to go down when hit. I would rather have more choke than not enough.

100 % agree choke that rascall

• 3 months later...

The second or two gained by being able to spray close range clays quickly disappears the first time you have to fire 3, 4, or 5 shots at a hard set plate in a texas star. I've seen it happen so many times. LM for me in my gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I run Modified almost all the time, switching to IC for slug stages (my slugs show better grouping with IC).

Sometimes (rarely) I use Full choke for cpecial stages with lots of no-shoot plates standing very closely to target plates. But for 95% of birdshot/buckshot stages Modified is the way to go.