Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help picking a scope

gng4life

Hello All,

Looking for some help. I am going to be taking a long range shooting class and then plan on doing it for fun and maybe one day some long range hunting. I plan on using mounted on either a Rem 700 7mm Mag or T/C Dimension .308. We will be shooting paper out to 1000 yards and my budget is about 1300.

After a lot of reading and research, I have decided I would like the following features:

FFP

At least 20x

Mil/Mil reticle and adjustments

TMR or similar reticle

Target knobs

At least 30 mil or 100 moa range

So far, I have narrowed it down to: Leupold ER/T 8.5-25 or SWFA SS 5-20

These two scopes seem to fit most of the needs and I've read great reviews about both. I also like the NF BR scopes but they are all SFF. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

I mounted a Vortex PST 6-24 FFP scope on my rifle and it has perfomed beyond what I thought it could. It tracked perfectly and has not lost zero at any time. I think it was the best scope for the price since I didn't want to tie up a bunch of money in a scope that comes out 4 or 5 times per year.

Take a good hard look at a Vortex Razor, and IMHO forget about the Leupold, they have a great warrenty, but so does all the other high end scope makers, but Leupold glass is not as good as the Razor or Nightforce.

Look at the Bushnell HDMR with the G2 GAP reticle. In your price range.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2719368&page=1

Along with this suggestion, I picked up the 6-24 Elite with the G2 Gap reticle. Very impressed for the price.

I didnt care for the SWFA reticle, and I got a screaming deal on the Bushy compared to Vortex (my next choice) that made the decision easier. They're also offering the 1 year "Bullet Proof" warranty. Return it for any reason for refund (less tax and shipping if applicable) within 1 year. Can't beat a 1 year trial.

I mounted a Vortex PST 6-24 FFP scope on my rifle and it has perfomed beyond what I thought it could. It tracked perfectly and has not lost zero at any time. I think it was the best scope for the price since I didn't want to tie up a bunch of money in a scope that comes out 4 or 5 times per year.

I don't know why I didn't think of that one to begin with, that looks pretty awesome and slightly under $1000 is well within budget, will be reading more and seriously consider this one...

Take a good hard look at a Vortex Razor, and IMHO forget about the Leupold, they have a great warrenty, but so does all the other high end scope makers, but Leupold glass is not as good as the Razor or Nightforce.

They look really nice but at about $2K, it's way out of my price range. Well, I could go get it but I better start saving up for a divorce attorney at the same time :)

Look at the Bushnell HDMR with the G2 GAP reticle. In your price range.

http://www.snipershi...=2719368&page=1

Along with this suggestion, I picked up the 6-24 Elite with the G2 Gap reticle. Very impressed for the price.

I didnt care for the SWFA reticle, and I got a screaming deal on the Bushy compared to Vortex (my next choice) that made the decision easier. They're also offering the 1 year "Bullet Proof" warranty. Return it for any reason for refund (less tax and shipping if applicable) within 1 year. Can't beat a 1 year trial.

Awesome! Would you mind pointing me in the direction for the best deal for this one also? It's high on my list now...Thanks

I can't find the HDMR with the G2 GAP, only the DMR. If anyone has a link, please post it.

I am also really looking hard at the PST mentioned above, any other reviews about this scope?

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help!

I can't find the HDMR with the G2 GAP, only the DMR. If anyone has a link, please post it.

I am also really looking hard at the PST mentioned above, any other reviews about this scope?

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help!

Have the Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP on my .260 AICS bolt gun...love it!

Yeah, the PST is moving up to the top of my list at this point. I plan on getting something by this weekend so I will update everyone then...Thanks again for all the help and suggestions...

Just to add to the above, I'd be careful of how high your choice is on the low end. 8.5 is just way to high IMHO and those times when you're close, or having a hard time locating a target, or in very low light shooting when you need to back out to suck in the most light, you're going to wich you could have less magnification. 20x is a LOT of magnification and for precision matches is plenty regardless of the distance. I started out with a 10X fixed SS and it was plenty out to 1200 yards for me. I switched to a Leupold TMR 6.5-20 SFP and loved it. I recently switched again to the Leupold 6.5-20 FFP MIL/MIL H37 which works well for what I use it for and the best bang for the buck in optics. It's no S&B or Premiere but it's 90% at a fraction of the cost (and weight!). I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

Hope this helps!

I would look hard at IOR scopes. They are 35mm tubes and tank tuff, plus the MP 8 reticle is really nice. FFP mil/mil win win.

I really tried to like them a few times, but their parallax is terrible. If you only shoot from one position, they are okay, by why limit yourself when there are better options.

Thanks Wannabe! I like the IOR line and reticle but most are out of range right now.

As always, thanks for the information MarkCO!

I decided to go with the PST. It just has everything I need and it's below budget. For a gun that I might shoot only a few times a year, I feel like this is the way to go.

Thanks for all the input everyone, just another reason why this place is so awesome!

• 2 months later...

I see that this is an older thread that was resurrected yesterday and I was wondering how gng4life's PST is working out. I bought a used one about the same time from another forum and have had a chance to shoot some 100 yard stuff which it works great for but am wondering how the tracking is. I bought the FFP because it seems like a good idea for ranging however haven't used it yet.

Hey Lone Ranger...I have it but haven't had time to do any shooting with it. I couldn't make the class due to a family emergency but I will try again soon.

Once I get to go out and get some good range time, I'll report back in. Thanks...