Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inked Brass Cases

Braxton1

I've got a friend (really...not me!) who really marks the heck out of his 38 SuperComp brass so that he can identify it.

He puts a ring of red ink from a marker and then another ring of green ink around the entire circumference of the case. It does stick out like a sore thumb.

The problem is that recently the gun has begun puking on extraction and ejection. I think that it is because of this ink increasing friction.

When I go into the gun, I am finding all sorts of dissolved ink in the chamber and mixed into the lube.

Do you think that I am on the right track with this?

Your on the right track.

Ive used markers, bingo daubers, fingernail polish, Dyechem (?) and in the end all I got was the standard 60% of my brass back, crapped up guns and a lesson learned.

Marking brass is a sure sign you have waaaaaay too much time on your hands and leads to hard feelings between you and the brass chickens out there. Not to mention the additional puking.

Most folks I shoot with use spray Dyekem. I don't believe that markers have enough volume to actually cause a problem.I see little to no excess in my chamber. Some on the breechface area. I have no issues in my .38SC chambered pistol.

On the other hand if a marker is leaving that much residue I would tend to think a good cleaning regimen is in order. In my case a few Qtips and minor chambering cleaning every 2-3 matches do the job.

If he is using a paint pen and not a marker that could easily account for the issues.

Most of the open shooters in this area mark their brass. I have seen no issues amongst my fellow shooters and I.

Just my .02, YMMV.

Edited by A63111

I use a green Sharpie with a single line around the case and no problem.

I've seen other brands of pens that have much thicker ink and you can feel it on the brass. Maybe that's it.

Edited by HI5-O

I spray my brass with dychem..my gun runs like a champ not one single malfunction ever. Your friends issues are not related to marker. The dychem does leave a trace of red on the breach face but off come right off when i clean my gun after every match.

Most folks I shoot with use spray Dyekem. I don't believe that markers have enough volume to actually cause a problem.I see little to no excess in my chamber. Some on the breechface area. I have no issues in my .38SC chambered pistol.

Me too. I run it around the extractor groove not the case.

Eric's method works very well, he just needs to use some other color than black. Something that matches his shoes would be more visible.