Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

nra member to shoot uspsa?

Not that I have seen. Some clubs/ranges need you to join NRA to be a member of the club in order to get more affordable insurance, but I have not seen a match that requires you to be an NRA member.

i drove 75.6 miles this morning for a club match. when i arrived to sighn in i was told i had to be an nra member to shoot the match.so i left i sent uspsa an email about it.

Edited by snake32

After driving that far I believe I might have told them sure I am but I left my membership card in my other wallet.....never heard of that one before. I know to be a "member" at our range you have to be a member of the NRA which I have not issue with and support fully.

i understand being a member of a gun rights organization to be a member of a range. personaly i think there are better organizations than nra but that is anouther subject. it should not matter what i am a member of as long as im a uspsa member when it comes to uspsa matches. i have heard good things about this clubs matches and the nra thing has never been mentioned until i showed up to shoot. its not even stated on their website that you have to be a member of the nra.

Edited by snake32

I think some would say that requiring membership in any organization means they are not truly holding a USPSA match, since there is no such caveat in the USPSA rules.

I have also found that some clubs have very inadequate information on their "websites". It took me a few months travelling around the state of FL going to matches to find out everything about any of the clubs here. They are shooting clubs, though, not computer clubs, so I don't complain much about their websites. However, critical info such as banning a particular type of holster, NRA membership requirements, reloading "below the berm", etc are all things that individual clubs really need to put on their websites.

I think some would say that requiring membership in any organization means they are not truly holding a USPSA match, since there is no such caveat in the USPSA rules.

I have also found that some clubs have very inadequate information on their "websites". It took me a few months travelling around the state of FL going to matches to find out everything about any of the clubs here. They are shooting clubs, though, not computer clubs, so I don't complain much about their websites. However, critical info such as banning a particular type of holster, NRA membership requirements, reloading "below the berm", etc are all things that individual clubs really need to put on their websites.

Remember, there is no such thing as "club rules" in a USPSA match. Either they hold a match by USPSA rules, or its not a USPSA match.

GrumpyOne i thought the same thing. thats why i just left before my mouth took over. lol id does not matter if im an nra member or not you are not going to require me to be a member to shoot a uspsa match.

Snake you were wronged by that club. I hope USPSA sets them straight no matter how good of a match they put on. There are no requirements in the USPSA by laws to be a member of NRA in order to shoot a match. You need to also email that MD and make sure he knows what is happening and is in danger of losing his affiliation.

how do i find the area 4 directors email address. ill let everyone know what is going on at that club. sarge the md was the first email i sent out. i have not recieved any replies yet but i really dont expect one till early next week.

Edited by snake32

I understand the stereotype of gun guys being old and not computer literate, etc, but some of these websites are no better than some angelfire garbage that a 12 year old would make for a Beiber fan page. It is seriously embarrassing that very few gun ranges can actually get it together enough to figure out what a decent website should look like. I'd be willing to bet that every gun club has at least one member that is well versed in web design, and all it would probably take would be a discount on a membership renewal or some other incentive to get that one guy to come up with something worthwhile.

I understand the stereotype of gun guys being old and not computer literate, etc, but some of these websites are no better than some angelfire garbage that a 12 year old would make for a Beiber fan page. It is seriously embarrassing that very few gun ranges can actually get it together enough to figure out what a decent website should look like. I'd be willing to bet that every gun club has at least one member that is well versed in web design, and all it would probably take would be a discount on a membership renewal or some other incentive to get that one guy to come up with something worthwhile.

I don't think that was his point so much as he was complaining about the "local" rules and not knowing what was "legal" at such and such range.... Such as the banning of certain type holsters and/or reloads below the berm.

I shoot at the club I *think* your talking about. No way is NRA membership required there to shoot the USPSA match. Sounds like you ended up at range membership. Too bad... Arthur and his crew put on a really good match!

mjoy64 i have heard good things about this clubs matches but when i showed up i was specificly told that i had to be an nra member to shoot the uspsa match. maybe they misunderstood what i was saying that i was there for. either way im out gas money and 3 hrs of my time for it. if i come back where should i go after i enter the gate?

Hello Snake,you need to follow the road, it curves to the right through the woods to the back of the range. If you decide to come back next month let me or mjoy know and we will make sure you get in. I am sorry you had troubles and I am sure it was a misunderstanding.

They had a big new member orientation going yesterday and that may have been what happened.

In no way do the guys running the match had anything to do with what happened to you.