Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Upstate" New Yorker wants to shoot USPSA in NJ. Possible?

hey all,

i have tried searching here and on google...i must not be a very good searcher as my head feels like it is going to explode and i am still not sure how to do this.

i found this post from june: here

a member jonf quotes some laws but where can i actually find the law. he refers to title 23. that come up as a fish and game reg.

basically i wanna shoot at old bridge. but i do not want to have issues with the police. i understand the locked in trunk ammo separate and no hollow points...no worries there. AND us in NY only get 10 round mags so we are good with the 15 round jersey mag limit.

so, can someone point me to the place to print the actual law about me being lawfully permitted to drive to NJ, shoot the match, and drive home that same day? i would like to have said law printed and with me if possible.

thanks for the help.

eddie

Edited by eddiegunks

hey all,

i have tried searching here and on google...i must not be a very good searcher as my head feels like it is going to explode and i am still not sure how to do this.

i found this post from june: here

a member jonf quotes some laws but where can i actually find the law. he refers to title 23. that come up as a fish and game reg.

basically i wanna shoot at old bridge. but i do not want to have issues with the police. i understand the locked in trunk ammo separate and no hollow points...no worries there. AND us in NY only get 10 round mags so we are good with the 15 round jersey mag limit.

so, can someone point me to the place to print the actual law about me being lawfully permitted to drive to NJ, shoot the match, and drive home that same day? i would like to have said law printed and with me if possible.

thanks for the help.

eddie

The issue becomes dicey if you spend the night in NJ. There is a Federal case on that issue. Under FOPA you can drive to and from the match provided you are legal to possess in New York. Lock up guns and ammo in trunk. NJ State Polioce have info on their web site.

I shot @ old bridge a few years ago. The club is terrible to find. It sits down a long dirt road off the main drag... I had to get directions from the local Five-o and they didn't seem worried about me being there to shoot. One said something about the number of people that day looking for the club. I won't shoot there again either! Come to Pa. we're on your map!

You guys are crazy. I've shot at Old Bridge and I loved that place. I've shot in something like a half-dozen states and they, by far, had the best monthly match I've ever attended.

Maybe it was because JJ Racaza was on my squad that day, but I still had a great time shooting there.

I'm not sure I'd risk going back, due to the laws, but if I did, Old Bridge never disappoints.

Central Jersey ain't bad, either.

You guys are crazy. I've shot at Old Bridge and I loved that place. I've shot in something like a half-dozen states and they, by far, had the best monthly match I've ever attended.

Maybe it was because JJ Racaza was on my squad that day, but I still had a great time shooting there.

I'm not sure I'd risk going back, due to the laws, but if I did, Old Bridge never disappoints.

Central Jersey ain't bad, either.

I shot at ob only once(ct resident) but i would definitely go back, it was a very well run match.

. The club is terrible to find. It sits down a long dirt road off the main drag..

Huh. Never seen a club like THAT in ...oh...TN, OH, KY... <_<

Kind of thought they were all like that...

I don't see that as a good a reason not to shoot there.

Get directions maybe but... ??

Thanks all

We called the NJ state police. They confirmed that we coul attend the match. Keep rhe gins unloaded and locked in the trunk.

We also learned a loaded magazine IS considered a loaded gun even if NOT in the gun! Unload all magazines if you plan to drive in/through NJ if you are not a NJ resident.

I will update you all how we make out.

Fwiw. The jersey shooters that invited us were all very friendly an acfomadating. I bet the match will be awesome.

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks all

We called the NJ state police. They confirmed that we coul attend the match. Keep rhe gins unloaded and locked in the trunk.

We also learned a loaded magazine IS considered a loaded gun even if NOT in the gun! Unload all magazines if you plan to drive in/through NJ if you are not a NJ resident.

I will update you all how we make out.

Fwiw. The jersey shooters that invited us were all very friendly an acfomadating. I bet the match will be awesome.

Cheers

Eddie

Someone else might second this for me but a loaded magazine is NOT considered a loaded gun in our state. It's suggested to keep your mags unloaded but it isn't law. If your mags happen to be loaded just be sure they are in a different container than the pistol.

OB puts on a great match. Bring lots of drinks, food and snacks. Might be at this one myself.

Did you preregister? Its recommended.

See you Sunday then!

yes, see you there. please introduce yourself if you happen to see me.

sent you a pm with a link to sign up so you can get in the palm.

got it thanks

Someone else might second this for me but a loaded magazine is NOT considered a loaded gun in our state. It's suggested to keep your mags unloaded but it isn't law. If your mags happen to be loaded just be sure they are in a different container than the pistol.

OB puts on a great match. Bring lots of drinks, food and snacks. Might be at this one myself.

Did you preregister? Its recommended.

good to know about the mag issue. i will still keep em unloaded...and locked in the trunk.....just paranoid.....:)

yup. all set and ready to attend.

thanks again for all the info. hoping for a great match.

eddie

Edited by eddiegunks

hey all,

everything went perfect. got in and out of NJ hassle free....

thanks for a great match. it was a fun time and the guys from my squad were great! i loved the stages......even if i put three in that No Shoot on the last stage! hell of a group though i would have to say. :roflol: i know i should have stopped and taken the mic and the NS....but he was just standing there begging for more! :surprise:

Edited by eddiegunks

Keep in mind that what you read on the NJ State Police website and what the State Police tell you when you call them is their internal policy. It is not the NJ state law. I live on the border and belong to a club in NJ so I tend to stay current on NJ gun laws. It's probably a good idea to comply with NJ State Police, but not everything they advise is the law in the state.

Edited by Ben Diss

Also, unless it has changed, do not bring your AR or shotgun to NJ for a 3gun match.

Shotguns cannot hold more than 5 rds even for locals.

Non resident cannot bring a AR into the state.

Ar mags cannot hold more than 15 rds.

The mag cannot be modified to hold only 15, it has to be manufactured that way!

To bad. They put on great 3gun matches!

Correct me if this has changed Ben.

Hope so, I would like to shoot there again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, so thats my thread youre referring to.

I shot the mid-atlantic match there in July and have a great time...ok I had to fly into Philly and it was over 100 the day of the match but that range is new and mint IMHO. Its too bad its in NJ! Anyway, I stayed at my parents house, was real careful about my speed and had my gun locked in its metal travel case, bought 10 round mags for the match, and all ammo was separate in trunk.