Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Still having case feed issues

Spun off of my other thread about out running my 650.

I am only able to run my 650 at about 75% of capacity due to case feed issues. Namely, if I crank up the pace I am getting cases pushed over towards the press as soon as they drop. It's almost like they are chattering or snagging on the little runner that takes them to the plate. I polished it and have adjusted the drop device several different ways and I still get the same thing. Even if I go slow and deliberate I still get the odd case that flips but it is mostly when I crank at high speed. I also get the occasional case stuck with the case only half under the lips of the rail thingy. Almost like the brass is bouncing maybe? I have polished some knicks out of the runner from where cases had been getting caught upside down and making little ring shaped cuts in the aluminum.

I'm thinking of getting a new runner from Dillon and see if that helps. I'll be calling them for sure but I thought there might be some thoughts from the membership.cheers.gif

I really want to get this worked out before I take delivery of my bullet feeder.

Any chance of posting or hosting a short video?? With all of the people using bullet feeders on 650's I'm sure it should be able to keep up with someone who is placing a bullet by hand. I'm sure it can be easily solved by someone here if we can see what is happening....

Edited by NoSteel

What is your benchtop constructed from? It sounds like the machine is swaying from the speed you are operating it at. We recommend at least 1" particle board; don't use plywood, it flexes too much. It might help to run a stabilizer of some sort from your wall to the case feed mounting post.

Case feeder is mounted to the wall already. Bench is mounted to the wall on three sides with one layer of 3/4 plywood with a particle board countertop on top.

I might shoot a vid tonight.

Edited by Sarge

FWIW I had a similar issue with a 550 casefeeder. Not sure if it's the same, but the arm that pushes the case forward was sticking slightly and snapping the case(instead of pushing smoothly) causing it to tip. The faster I went the harder it snapped.

sounds like you have this problem 2012-04-04+22.22.24.jpgupside down cases turned this station one locator into a case stopper which caused the below picture to happen2012-04-04+22.19.31.jpg also this... 2012-04-04+22.20.44.jpg they sent me those 2 new parts and everything has been running smoother as well as a free AT500 black plastic funnel for the case-feed drop tube, 9mm and smaller have a tendency to flip before they get to the actual plastic if your bench moves even a little bit2012-04-14+14.17.41.jpg

Holy smokes! Remind me not to shake hands with you. Didn't that feel a little different than normal before you were 3/4 way through the case?

lol was on a roll and not really, i was probably going at about 1100 rounds per hour without a bullet feeder at the time that happened and my 650 has a bit of trouble so i have to pull it a little harder then normal or what I've seen most other machines run at.

just saw your other post Sarge pretty much about the same thing i also tried to file the locator down to smooth out the rings in it, didn't help called Dillon and they sent off the parts

Edited by War

Yeah mine looked exactly like that. I think what happened in my case was I took it apart and cleaned it real good. After that it was sticking real bad. Probably the gunk from lube and dirt had built up enough to keep it running smooth over the dings. I sanded it and filed it and got it pretty smooth but like you said it still hangs up.

In answer to somebody's question as to what I consider 75% speed. Today I was trying to video it malfunctioning and it ran smooth. GO FIGURE! But I run comfortably without a bullet feeder at the rate of 100 every 5 minutes.

Agreed. I just called Dillon and they are sending me a locator.

Every time I call Dillon I feel like I have to explain things so much as if I am trying to convince them I need a part. The guy is like, "is that all you need today Mr Sanders?. I'll get that in the mail today". I'm so used to arguing with other companies to get good customer service I always forget how easy it is to deal with Dillon.cheers.gif

Once in a while I too were getting jams in the station one locator. What I have found after cleaning it up, I give it a good spray of 3M 08897 Dry Silicone. This stuff makes everything slick. Since I started using this spray, I haven't had any problems with cases jamming up on the station one locator.

Sarge

I'm pretty sure you are having a problem with the case insert slide, the helicoil inside the insert slide is not holding proper tension on the screw that tightens it onto the slide cam, it needs to be replaced. With the handle in the down position adjust the insert slide tightly against the case feed arm and tighten in place, you will find that cases feeds properly. If this insert slide moves backward slightly from the case feed arm normally you will have the problem that you have mentioned. I'm sure this will work. I have experienced this same issue . You can pm me or call me, let me know.

Sarge

I'm pretty sure you are having a problem with the case insert slide, the helicoil inside the insert slide is not holding proper tension on the screw that tightens it onto the slide cam, it needs to be replaced. With the handle in the down position adjust the insert slide tightly against the case feed arm and tighten in place, you will find that cases feeds properly. If this insert slide moves backward slightly from the case feed arm normally you will have the problem that you have mentioned. I'm sure this will work. I have experienced this same issue . You can pm me or call me, let me know.

Thanks for the advice but I just replaced the cam block last week. I think I posted that in the other thread.

Edited by Sarge