what goes through your mind

Beladran

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly?

Get milk on the way home.

How's my support hand...too late. Let's rock!

I'm thirsty. Maybe I should've brought my camelback today?

Maybe I should buy those Warren sights. They look cool.

Subway sub on the way home? or is my wife cooking something.

I hope it's chocolate cookies.

I hope I don't get any ticks out here like last time.

It's a hot summer.

Almost done with the stage. Stay in the fight!

I think I'll wait and mow the lawn on Monday.

SCAN! did I get all of them?

Stop, be safe.

No one is going to make fun of be being slow at this point. The results give no points for being cool by racking the slide and catching the round...

Damn, shooting is SO FRIGGIN FUN!!!!!

No matter what I tell myself about sight, slow is fast and all that. Normal life invades.

It's a win if I'm safe.

It's even more fun when I win class. :rolleyes:

DNH

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely nothing unless something unplanned occurs and I am forced to bring my thoughts into the conscious. That does not happen nearly as often as it used to.

I still f*#k up on stages, but my recovery is thoughtless and automatic most of the time.

By the time I get to the line it's already programmed... I can't say for sure but it must be pretty close to nothing!

Unless there's a lot of steel in which case I'm thinking 1 shot each!

Recently it was.....

Backwards?!! Who the heck put that shell in backwards??!! HOW did it even fit in there backwards? How am I going to get it out of there? I should switch to the pistol. No, I stink at pistol....It's still in there! How the heck am I going to get that darn thing out of there......cleared.....BANG.....backwards again?!! That's not even remotely funny....

Whatever....pistol it is....yep, I stink at pistol....

Sendit... I know you're joking, but that's incredibly damaging to your self image and therefore your shooting in general.

Self-deprecation is good for comedy, not for shooting.

Steve might now what I'm thinking about since I read his book and Bassham's. It's kind of funny when the family sees my Directive Affirmations located strategically in my house. cheers.gif

I just hope my competition isn't reading this thread!

While shooting? Nothing.

I'm just watching a movie...

Me too

Boom Chika Wow Wow

But really shooting in your subconscious is the only way to shoot at a high level. We all start our career in the conscious for safety etc..

Well my sight picture/shot call on that last one was iffy, should I give it another?

It sure seems like I'm moving slow.

Dang, my gun is empty, I guess I should reload. (IDPA)

Now what was it I was going to concentrate on this stage? Grip/arms/recoil control, that's right Grip/arms/recoil control, Wow, that’s makes a big difference, I should do that all the time.

You know I’m still mad about that advice I got years ago to "just let the gun recoil/move, don't try to control it. Worst advice I ever got!

OK I'm done.

Edited by Nuke8401

WHAT I WANT TO THINK ABOUT

Nothing. Not even float the gun, smooth is fast or other mantras. That's my ultimate goal.

WHAT I ACTUALLY THINK ABOUT

When I make a mistake, Not again! When I'm actually keeping up with the gun, Hurry up! I can't hit anything today! Where's the bullet hole? etc.

There's also the divergent thoughts like what I'm going to do after the match or how good the hatch chiles tasted in the omelette I had for breakfast. (If you've had hatch green chiles you'd understand. :blush: )

HOW TO DEAL WITH THE DEFERENCE

I believe this is the root of your question. We will think thoughts no matter what as long as we have an ego. What we do with them I think is the important part. If we try to push the thoughts away they'll push back harder. Just like a bad 70's disco song you can't get out of your head.

I focus on INTENTION not results. I have the intention of applying myself fully and shooting my best. That is where I put my effort. There really isn't a "trying" my best or creation of formal thoughts. I think this intention keeps my conscious busy enough not to go off and judge my performance or start other distracting thoughts.

The stage plan is what I thought about before the buzzer and I'm carrying out the plan. I don't consider it thinking but having knowledge about what's around the corner and how to shoot it when I get there.

This works for me when it works. You might find it worth using also.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

Watch the 180! Watch finger while reloading/moving! Sometimes I don't ever remember even looking at the sights or aiming or anything and I'm done. Usually my best performances : ) (which aren't too good, but 1 match every other month will do that to a "shooter")

When I shoot my best the only thing I'm thinking is where I'm going to plant my feet to shoot this array. Feet here, shoot, move there, shoot. If my feet are in the right spot my mental picture lines up and it all just happens.

There was a post around here recently where a guy made dramatic improvements to his draw speed by focusing on his weak hand and making it move as fast as he could, leaving the strong hand and actual draw to his subconscious. I've actually taken this concept a step further, and all I think about on a stage is what my weak hand is doing. I make it move as fast as possible on the draw, I make sure it is squeezing like crazy in my grip, I make it grab a new mag as fast as possible, and so on. Someday I will have everything subconscious and won't need to do this, but for now it makes for a great mental distraction, allowing me to do everything else without thought.