Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New m2 buyer, what to look for.

So ive been looking for a 21" M2 for some time, as I don't own an autoloader. Since its been months now and I haven't seen one pop up, I might just grab one of the seemingly plentiful 18.5" tacticals. The one at my LGS has the rifle sights on it. Reading around it seems as thought they are preferred over the ghost rings, and not a bad choice.

My question is this: are there any problem spots, defects, or wear items I should inspect before my purchase? One shop has it on the shelf where anyone can fondle it, and there's no telling what could have been done to it. The other store has theirs behind the counter, but its 100$ more expensive.

Thanks for any insight.

So ive been looking for a 21" M2 for some time, as I don't own an autoloader. Since its been months now and I haven't seen one pop up, I might just grab one of the seemingly plentiful 18.5" tacticals. The one at my LGS has the rifle sights on it. Reading around it seems as thought they are preferred over the ghost rings, and not a bad choice.

My question is this: are there any problem spots, defects, or wear items I should inspect before my purchase? One shop has it on the shelf where anyone can fondle it, and there's no telling what could have been done to it. The other store has theirs behind the counter, but its 100$ more expensive.

Thanks for any insight.

I just got a 24" M2 and after putting a +6 tub on it, this may be a better OA lenth. It is the same total lenght as my SLP, much lighter and holds 9+1. Tube is flush with muzzel.

I know you hear a lot about 21" M2s. That is what I was looking for when I can across this 24" gun, I am glad I ended up with the longer barrel.

Plus, you may be able to find one easier and pay a little less. Maybe buy one new.

I to would try for a 24" but if you are dead set on the 18" buy the one that costs less. Who cares if other people handled it? YOU are going to be THROWING it into a barrel and resting it against metal posts and other props. :eatdrink:

I would look around for 24" first before going with the 18" tactical. My first M1 is a 18" tactical and if you doing only local stuff with close steel, that is fine. When the steel gets further out or you have a dang Texas Star to clear, it's nearly impossible unless you go with a lower shot (but most of the time is not allowed). If you get a 24" field, you have more options as far as sights and you get the chokes for sure (my tactical does not have chokes). Now I use my M2 24" and I am much happier and I find it is a great balance and feel for the 3G matches I've been to. Good luck!

Hello all... I'm new here, but this seems as good a place as any to jump in, 'cause I've been in Therealkoops shoes.

I've never had a problem finding an M2 Field, models 11016, 11021, 11026, build platform. I go on-line with all that list them, regardless of the listings "in stock / availability", call the phone number (not an e-mail - gun retailers/distributors get tons of e-mails and ignore half of them) and talk to people until I find one that's physically in stock. Call your favorite FFL and have them order it up.

Honest... if you want one (and you do), 11026 (21") or 11021 (24")... make a few phone calls.

Cheers,

C

I would look for a 24" Field model, but would take a 26" Field model if I couldn't find a 24. I have used an 18.5" Ghost ring sighted gun before. The short barrel handled good and the sights didn't bother me, but to get the mag capacity past seven, the tube was sticking out past the barrel, so if you are going to have the length (mag tube), you might as well have the sight radius/velocity (barrel) to match it. I now use an M1 with a 24" vent rib barrel and a +6 tube (9+1 capacity). The tube can be plugged for matches that dictate 8+1 max and it is still easier to get the last shell in the tube.

If you do get an 18.5" gun, be sure to get one that has interchangable chokes.

Hurley

Haha Yeah I knew I would be beating the hell out of it, Just was wondering if there was anything someone could've taken off of it or screwed up somehow. I wouldnt imagine it to be an easy task.

Ill keep looking around for a field model, Im not in a huge rush. Thanks for the thoughts guys.

If you're going to use it for competition, you're definitely going to want a vent rib with fibre optic front sight. Ghost rings and rifle sights suck for running a shotgun fast.

Also, 18" barrel is really going to hurt you when it comes to knocking down steel. I would go 21" minimum.

getting an 18" will save on ammunition. :surprise: It will be no fun to shoot and so a person is less likely to practice with it. you will get tired of having more misses on close and far targets than a less experienced shooter so you would be less likely to sign up for an out of town event.

Sure - in my opinion- an 18" barrel will save you lots of cash.

If you're going to use it for competition, you're definitely going to want a vent rib with fibre optic front sight. Ghost rings and rifle sights suck for running a shotgun fast.

Also, 18" barrel is really going to hurt you when it comes to knocking down steel. I would go 21" minimum.

+1 :cheers:

You also want a comfortech stock, not, the American model.

• 2 weeks later...

Go with the 21 or24". I had a 18.5 and figured out quickly after shooting some local 3G matches that the longer shots on steel were tougher because the velocity you lose. Good luck in your search. JP

• 1 month later...

make sure you buy on with what barrel you want, as new barrrels are $$$. I got a 18.5" barrel with ghost ring sights with interchangable chokes, I am having a hard time with flyers with the sights. as for far steel i just reload a little hotter shells :devil: I use to have a M1 with a 21" barrel vent rib, I loved that gun till it got stolen.

Thanks for any insight.

Get teh 24 the 18 inch tacticals suck for the game.

Pat