Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a dropped mag out of play

mfaith

You can always use them anytime:

5.5.2 Spare magazines, speed loading devices or ammunition dropped or dis-carded by a competitor after the start signal may be retrieved, howev-er, their retrieval is, at all times, subject to all safety rules.

5.5.2 Spare magazines, speed loading devices or ammunition dropped or dis-carded by a competitor after the start signal may be retrieved, howev-er, their retrieval is, at all times, subject to all safety rules.

In other words keep your finger out of the trigger guard and muzzle pointed safely down range. I've seen one shooter have an accidental discharge while trying to pick up a dropped mag. What was really bad is that he still had one on his belt!

I've been meaning to recheck this. I am quite sure that during a CRO course I audited, it was stated that you could not pickup a mag if you had one left on your belt. But I don't recall this being in the rules anywhere.

I've been meaning to recheck this. I am quite sure that during a CRO course I audited, it was stated that you could not pickup a mag if you had one left on your belt. But I don't recall this being in the rules anywhere.

I'll have to find a copy of the green rule book to be sure, but what I recall from the RO class at the time we were using the green book was that the shooter had to exhaust their mag pouches before they could go for mags in pockets or elsewhere (including presumably the ground). The requirement for exhausting the pouches went away with the blue book. (A GM also found a loophole in the green rule book that supposedly allowed for staging mags around a CoF.)

Edited by Skydiver

LOL! Shot a cof earlier this year that I was determined to do with just one mag. I was so focused on that that, when I accidentally hit the mag release and dropped the mag, I wasted precious seconds picking it up rather than go for the mags on my belt. All that existed for me then was me, the gun and that one mag....

What a maroon I was.

LOL! Shot a cof earlier this year that I was determined to do with just one mag. I was so focused on that that, when I accidentally hit the mag release and dropped the mag, I wasted precious seconds picking it up rather than go for the mags on my belt. All that existed for me then was me, the gun and that one mag....

What a maroon I was.

There are many members in that maroon club. :D

Edited by lcs

This is why no one (scoring RO) or anybody else should pick up discarded mags on the COF until after range is clear...If a competitor goes back to get a discarded mag and its not there....reshoot! :angry2:

This is why no one (scoring RO) or anybody else should pick up discarded mags on the COF until after range is clear...If a competitor goes back to get a discarded mag and its not there....reshoot! :angry2:

Yup, I've seen several ROs/other shooters pick up the competitors mags early. They are just trying to help but that competitor might want to come back for it!

But what happens if you're shooting Production or Single Stack and the magazine lands on the ground in front of the points of your hip. Do you have to run in front of it and reach behind the hipbone to get it? :devil:

:roflol:

But what happens if you're shooting Production or Single Stack and the magazine lands on the ground in front of the points of your hip. Do you have to run in front of it and reach behind the hipbone to get it? :devil:

Actually, I think you are already in open if it falls in front of your hip since it is during the course of fire. <_<

Yup, I've seen several ROs/other shooters pick up the competitors mags early. They are just trying to help but that competitor might want to come back for it!

Only thing worse is when you are the RO and you see that guy picking up the mag out of your peripheral vision because they are so close to you. Trying to keep your eye on the shooter/gun and trying shoo the other guy back is always a treat. God forbid the shooter runs out of mags at that very moment, the ensuing dog pile when he backtracks to pick up the mag will be disastrous.

The worst is having lost the last full mag on your belt, looking back to find it, and seeing 5 of the suckers scattered across the ground behind you, all with a live round at the lips...

I always tuck one in a (back) pocket if I'm going to need all 5 for a particularly mag change heavy stage after that day...

The worst is having lost the last full mag on your belt, looking back to find it, and seeing 5 of the suckers scattered across the ground behind you, all with a live round at the lips...

I always tuck one in a (back) pocket if I'm going to need all 5 for a particularly mag change heavy stage after that day...

Drop that many and I'd be looking at new mag holders!

Drop that many and I'd be looking at new mag holders!

Only one was full-- the rest were all part of the stage breakdown!

The trick is figuring out which one you need to go back for!

:goof:

this will probably be the next thread on rules :roflol:

:goof:

this will probably be the next thread on rules :roflol:

Only if the mag pouch or magnet attached to it went down with it. Give them a good kick to separate them and you are good to go again. :sight:

Thanks