Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doing Something You Hate

mY Austrailian Cattle Dog Abbigail Mero, went to the the happy hunting ground to wrangle cattle with the best of them today. She was 15 years old, and until last month, she was moving and grooving with the best of them. She lost use of her legs, and was blind, deaf and incontinent. Still, though, I cried like a baby. I thought I wouldn't, but then it just came on like a wave.

I put her collar on my rear-view and will keep it there till I feel I can let her go a little bit more.

She was the best hiking dog I EVER HIKED WITH! She and I put hundreds of miles behind us together. She helped me get sober, and listened to me bitch about all things without getting too tired of listening to me. She housebroke several puppies all by herself. She was an amazing friend.

I will always miss you Abby. I was your human.

JZ

Sorry for your loss. My dog is a member of the family, not a pet. I couldn't imagine life without him. You have been very lucky, 15 years is great deal of time to have had her by your side.

Edited by 9X23Guy

UGH... I'm so sorry. Mine are getting old (both are 13) and I'm afraid the time is coming. Here's to a heaven full of cats, squirrels and freshly cooked chicken breast!

Damnit Jimmy, you brought feelings up that I had hoped were buried. Not very long ago, I.had to take my Aussie in..... My absolute and deepest condolences. Lord knows, she's chasing sheep and squirrels up there, right next to mine. I curse who decided that dogs should not live as long as their human companions. It's like a cruel joke.

My wife and I are the humans for Sheba the 6 year old Blue ACD. We do not "own" her. I think she owns us. All the Heelers I have been around are fantastic dogs. They seem to instantly know when something or somebody is good or up to no good. Very meek and mild until their family is threatened.

Sheba was abused by the people who had her before us. There was no excuse for that. The dog has absolutely no bad habits. I wish my wife had not taught her to shake hands on the command "hello". Everytime somebody answers the phone she thinks she has to raise that left paw. :)

A bad day at work turns into a good day when I get home and see that tail wagging.

Sorry about your loss. I know we will eventually have to go through this also.